Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 01:47   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
Gideon

The price seems to have dropped since I saw you when it would have cost me over £600,000!

When is your next FastCat due off the line? It must be any week now.
No Paul the price is the same as it was before , The Last FastCat is launched and doing its test sail today, it must have to do with extra,s ordered.
A Green Motion model with retractable electric motors and Generator is Euro 560.000,00 or with the exchage rate of 1.27 euro to Pound 441.000,00

P.S. ask Duncan to install larger Mooring cleats if he has not done so already. the presently used ones are very small to handlew good sized mooring lines.

Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 01:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Around $100,000 extra for the hybrid? Have you worked out how many miles you'd need to motor to break even on fuel costs?

I've read that you'd need to drive a Prius 365,000 km to recoup it's additional cost over a Corolla, in fuel savings. (And that assumes you don't need to replace the batteries) I think this might work out to be similar.
Hallo 44 , it is $ 90.000,00 difference and it is not all about the Multi Hybrid , the motors are retractable giving more speed or at least less resistance , it gives electric cooking and a generator and the most important part is not the cost saved but how about noise , vibration, pollution and the fact that you have to carry very minimal fuel on board .

Greetings

Gideon
Old 19-08-2008, 02:57   #48
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
"P.S. ask Duncan to install larger Mooring cleats if he has not done so already. the presently used ones are very small to handlew good sized mooring lines."

I think he may have done but I will check. Thank you for the tip anyway, any more you have are welcome.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 03:07   #49

For Gludy: Take a look at the info about electronics like internet they use on this boat.... Maybe you will find any more interesting on this blog.

Yaghan (Best info on electronics)

Yaghans round the world blog
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 03:44   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"P.S. ask Duncan to install larger Mooring cleats if he has not done so already. the presently used ones are very small to handle good sized mooring lines."

I think he may have done but I will check. Thank you for the tip anyway, any more you have are welcome.
I would advice to have all the wiring soldered instead of crimped , we have had lots of problems with wires being corroded and this needed correction.
I would also opt for different bilge pumps , our boat has the Jabsco ones and the are hard to keep clean and have a small capacity, I prefer the Attwood Sahara type 750 ( US gls per hour )
Ask for Hella LED navigation lighting instead of the normal lights, it saves you changing bulbs and energy..
Ask for a 4 way Searchlight in the mast mounted below the radar antenna.
Jabsco makes a very good one the type is 255

255SL Remote Control Searchlight > Searchlights Floodlights > Marine > Jabsco - ITT

If I had her build again I would use water cooled fridges and freezer , these give a lot of heat in the saloon while a water cooled unit gives no heat and is much more efficient.
The used sound insulation in the engine rooms can be improved . the sound absorbing quality,s of the type used is not great and I like a silent boat . we Use Illbruck Pinta VB 40 foam and it is much better in the sound absorbsion .

http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/products_BCF.php

Greetings and have fun with your cat

Gideon
Old 19-08-2008, 04:07   #51

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo 44 , it is $ 90.000,00 difference and it is not all about the Multi Hybrid , the motors are retractable giving more speed or at least less resistance , it gives electric cooking and a generator and the most important part is not the cost saved but how about noise , vibration, pollution and the fact that you have to carry very minimal fuel on board .

Greetings

Gideon
Wouldnt Yammy 9.9's outboards or equivelent and a Honda genny for $2500 do similar if not the same?

Dave
Old 19-08-2008, 04:18   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Wouldnt Yammy 9.9's outboards or equivelent and a Honda genny for $2500 do similar if not the same?

Dave
Not really , you would need 2 x 30 hp outboards to get the same speed but I have never seen any outboard that would regenerate the fuel it has first used and the noise, vibration, smoke and the lifting of the prop out of the water is not the same.
I used to own a Mc Gregor with a 28 hp outboard and in a rough sea the prop was more out of the water than in the water.

Greetings

p.s. if you can find me a outboard that will make gasoline instead of consume it I will stand in line with all the others to purchase one lollollol

Gideon
Old 19-08-2008, 04:20   #53
cruiser

I don't know... building a catamaran takes a HECK of a lot of man-hours.

How about Gideon's commitment to pay is employees a far wage?

How about Gideon's good natured employment style? I recall that one of his employees was having a reaction to epoxy and she was moved to a different job to protect her health.

How about the taxes Gideon has to pay in Europe?

His catamaran isn't so overpriced if you look at the true cost of doing business where he is located, using the materials he uses and conducting business in an ethical manner as he does.

I have bought a couple Little Cod wood stoves switching boats. Each tiny little stove cost me $1200 for just the stove (not including chimney equipment). I was HAPPY to pay $1200 knowing my stove was made in WA state by a guy who owns a small business, has a family to support, etc... I also can rest well knowing the stove was made out of superior materials and will last me a lifetime.

I think there is a similarity in buying Gideon's cat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 05:03   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
An open message to fastcat435, ldrhawke, 44'cruisingcat, Gludy, and others...

There have been numerous posts in this more recent portion of this thread discussing the price of FastCats. The Forum's rules prohibit this. If you want to talk about FastCat prices, start a thread in the Vendors' Forum. The rules clearly prohibit discussion by Vendors of the price of their products in any Forum other than the Vendors Forum, even in response to questions or comments by others.

We have received complaints from members about this thread veering off-topic, and into a dialog with Gideon, sometimes verging on the contentious. Please respect your fellow Forum members who want to keep the discussion close to the original topic, and away from personal agendas.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 19-08-2008, 05:09   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
An open message to fastcat435, ldrhawke, 44'cruisingcat, Gludy, and others...

There have been numerous posts in this more recent portion of this thread discussing the price of FastCats. The Forum's rules prohibit this. If you want to talk about FastCat prices, start a thread in the Vendors' Forum. The rules clearly prohibit discussion by Vendors of the price of their products in any Forum other than the Vendors Forum, even in response to questions or comments by others.

We have received complaints from members about this thread veering off-topic, and into a dialog with Gideon, sometimes verging on the contentious. Please respect your fellow Forum members who want to keep the discussion close to the original topic, and away from personal agendas.

Thank you for your cooperation.
I have no problem with that

Greetings

Gideon
Old 19-08-2008, 05:43   #56
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Well i found your suggestions on my boat very useful and so I will start a new thread on them
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 06:20   #57

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Not really , you would need 2 x 30 hp outboards to get the same speed but I have never seen any outboard that would regenerate the fuel it has first used and the noise, vibration, smoke and the lifting of the prop out of the water is not the same.
I used to own a Mc Gregor with a 28 hp outboard and in a rough sea the prop was more out of the water than in the water.

Most Oz built cats up around 40 ft with 9.9s get 7 + knots ok, I'm sure those with larger hondas do better.

All the O/B driven cats I have been on never had a noticable issue with smoke, vibration or noise either, quite the opposite infact.

They all seemed to manage fine cavitation wise as well

My 30ft cat had a lengthened 9.9 and the cav plate was a good foot under the water and about 8 ft in from the back, no cav problems here either.

If designed and thought out properly its hardly an issue.
A transom hung outboard has not been thought out properly.

Dave
Old 19-08-2008, 06:30   #58
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Well i found your suggestions on my boat very useful and so I will start a new thread on them
Thanks, Gludy. That's the way to do it. Keeping threads (mostly) on topic also helps members search for information later on, so it's a good thing for everyone.
Old 19-08-2008, 19:46   #59
cruiser

Actual materials used in my build

Here's what I'm making my boat out of. I will use carbon fiber for the masts only. An important virtue of the vinylester resin is not only its strength, which is greater than the epoxy used by Gideon according to the data he published on this site, but its very low flame spread rate if it is burned. The high density balsa is for my topsides. My bottoms are solid laminate. The low density balsa is for the decks, bulkheads, and furniture.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hexion 755-8590 Tech Data sheet.doc (188.0 KB, 428 views)
File Type: pdf e-qx%203500.pdf (276.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: pdf cores_baltek_SB50.pdf (107.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: pdf cores_baltek_SB100.pdf (115.4 KB, 2088 views)
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 21:12   #60

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Here's what I'm making my boat out of. I will use carbon fiber for the masts only. An important virtue of the vinylester resin is not only its strength, which is greater than the epoxy used by Gideon according to the data he published on this site, but its very low flame spread rate if it is burned. The high density balsa is for my topsides. My bottoms are solid laminate. The low density balsa is for the decks, bulkheads, and furniture.
Hi Big Cat,
Have you looked at the impact tests done on polycore polypropylene honeycomb against that of balsa core. Balsa core is stiffer but does not resist impact as well. I agree with you about fire retardant resin, especially on the inside. I have also been looking at bamboo fibre as it is stiffer and lighter than glass but am having trouble sourcing it in smaller quantities than a container load. I will probably use fire retardent vinylester on the inside and epoxy below the waterline outside. The strenght of the laminate seems pretty close with either but there is a very slight water penetration difference- probably not enough to worry about.
don't know why you want to go to solid below the waterline. A fair bit of extra weight and not necessarily any better for puncture proofing. Polycore polyprop seems to be up to it.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull