Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 18:55   #61

Boat: H36
Re: Hydraulic drive for Catamaran?

Hydraulics is old school. Yes they have SEA o-ring fitting that hardly ever leak and variable displacement pumps and motors but unless you need it for specialize application like cylinders to generate linear forces it is old.
Modern electronics ac voltage controls make electric motors far more efficient. Ships use them locomotives use them. Hydraulics are great for a backhoe but not for linear drives.
Sorry guys😄😄

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 22:17   #62

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Hydraulics is old school. Yes they have SEA o-ring fitting that hardly ever leak and variable displacement pumps and motors but unless you need it for specialize application like cylinders to generate linear forces it is old.
Modern electronics ac voltage controls make electric motors far more efficient. Ships use them locomotives use them. Hydraulics are great for a backhoe but not for linear drives.
Sorry guys����

Yeah, I know electrics is cute and trendy but for reliability and grunt you can't beat hydraulics. One drop of water and your high tech electric motor is fried in a giant blue flash. Hydraulics will work reliably under hundreds of feet of water and you don't need a college degree to service and repair it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:38   #63

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yeah, I know electrics is cute and trendy but for reliability and grunt you can't beat hydraulics. One drop of water and your high tech electric motor is fried in a giant blue flash. Hydraulics will work reliably under hundreds of feet of water and you don't need a college degree to service and repair it.

You don't hear the noise or see the leaks under water.😜

Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:08   #64

I don't know about hydraulics being old school, it depends on the application. Kubota tractors are hydraulic drive , the 4WD ones are on every wheel! Electrics are great for smaller things. I ran a shop with 50 - 2000 ton presses.... you aren't going to do that with electric actuators! But hydraulics are heavy for sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran