Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 09:55   #31

Re: I Built a 45' cat, sailed a bit, Now What?

Regarding hulls;
Did you put a glass layer over top of the foam ?(to encapsulate it)
Now we are talking Ruttan technology.. LOL
Did you put anything in the foam such as reinforcement or plumbing?
I know where you were going with the pick up tube for water.
Water pick up system;
I would incorporate a shut off valve in the pipe (and a siphon principle) with the system going into a water chest with a faucet at a point in the system higher than the loaded waterline.
Open the faucet and no more water.
Would like to see more photos, plans and specs, equipment etc
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 10:32   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndZen View Post
Hi girls and guys. We are looking for advice about what to do next;
From 2004 to 2007, I built a 45 foot catamaran in 3 years; 7000 hours, $40,000 in materials.

Well, you could upgrade to a monohull...

JK. I agree though, if you aren't using it either for sailing, experimenting, or at least as a getaway nest, get rid of it right away. Put that one on ebay, no reserve, and maybe somebody gets it for a buck. Maybe somebody gives you 6k for it. You never know. Either way, no more insurance, renewing documentation, liability for removal, or just plain worrying about how your boat is doing. If you get some dough for it, you are that much ahead.

Engines? Watermaker? Genset? Central air and heat? Depending on what you got and what works, you might be able to get a decent price for it. Too bad you didn't crutch up your mast. Probably has a serious permanent bow in it. This CAN be fixed but it is not for the faint of heart. Sails? Only lightly used so they are worth something, too. The dinghy and outboard? If you look at the positives, while you are almost certain to not get what you put into it, you ought to recover something.

Can you afford a haulout and a survey? The surveyed value is only of academic interest. You wont get that for it. But it will identify the strengths and weaknesses and things you can easily fix yourself to make it more sailable and sellable. Just having running engines, a fresh bottom job, and all rigging accounted for, and better yet some recent miles under the keel(s) can make a huge difference.

Set a deadline, if you want to try and list it. Put it on CL for a couple of weeks and see if you get any nibbles. Then list it with a broker, nonexclusively. Then as your deadline approaches, list it on fleabay and cross your fingers.

<EDIT> and don't forget to make a big FOR SALE sign with your digits that can be seen clearly from the channel.
Old 27-01-2020, 17:11   #33

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

Good advice even if it may not be real.

Steve Jobs was the co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Corporation and died in 2011, aged 56, after losing his battle with Pancreatic Cancer . He posted the following observation just prior to his death .

Very profound and a realization that only became obvious when he was confronted with his certain demise .

The World's six best doctors ... worth reading--------- Steve Jobs Died a billionaire ( $10.2b ) at age 56. This is his final essay:

“I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world. In some others' eyes, my life is the epitome of success. However, aside from work, I have little joy. In the end, my wealth is only a fact of life that I am accustomed to. At this moment, lying on my bed and recalling my life, I realize that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in have paled and become meaningless in the face of my death.

You can employ someone to drive the car for you or make money for you but you cannot have someone bear your sickness for you. Material things lost can be found or replaced. But there is one thing that can never be found when it's lost - Life. Whichever stage in life you are in right now, with time, you will face the day when the curtain comes down.

Treasure love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends. Treat yourself well and cherish others. As we grow older, and hopefully wiser, we realize that a $300 or a $30 watch both tell the same time. You will realize that your true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world. Whether you fly first class or economy, if the plane goes down - you go down with it.

Therefore, I hope you realize, when you have mates, buddies and old friends, brothers and sisters, who you chat with, laugh with, talk with, have sing songs with, talk about north-south-east-west or heaven and earth, that is true happiness!

Don't educate your children to be rich. Educate them to be happy. So when they grow up they will know the value of things and not the price.

Eat your food as your medicine, otherwise you have to eat medicine as your food.

There is a big difference between a human being and being human. Only a few really understand it.

You are loved when you are born. You will be loved when you die. In between, you have to manage!

The six best doctors in the world are sunlight, rest, exercise, diet, self-confidence and friends.

Maintain them in all stages and enjoy a healthy life
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 19:24   #34

I'm looking for something like this. Get in touch with me at: Emerysandiego@gmail.com. I don't have 50 plus thousand dollars, but I do have a background in all aspects of marine repair and a few bucks.
Thanks.
Tom Emery
Tom Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 05:35   #35

Hello James
If for sale at $1 I will buy kind regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:14   #36

. Emerysandiego@ gmail.com Hello,
Drop me a line. I am looking for something along those lines. Have money, will travel. Serious buyer.QUOTE=NowAndZen;3059875]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...rxisnLLtxaypFR

From 2004 to 2007, I built a 45 foot catamaran in 3 years; 7000 hours, $40,000 in materials.
We went to the keys and the Bahamas in 2009
Since then we had to go back up North and work, the boat has been anchored for 12 years in the Tampa Bay area and needs lots of TLC. Our vacations are all about caring for our boat.
We are a little confused about what's next for our big baby; selling it to the right person would be nice but difficult, it would require a very handy owner looking for a big project.
Keeping it would be nice too to escape from the Canadian cold winters.
I would then like to make it a solar boat; scrap a lot of weight and make a solar canopy; even thinking about converting Prius parts for power. My engineering mind has too many projects for one life...

Looking for some enlightenment; Any wise advice would be appreciated[/QUOTE]
Old 28-01-2020, 13:16   #37

Emerysandiego@gmail.com
Would like to discuss purchase of your boat. Serious buyer. Have money and marine experience. If you are serious about selling this please contact me.
Thanks
Tom Emery
Old 01-02-2020, 13:21   #38

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndZen View Post
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...rxisnLLtxaypFR

Congratulations!! That is a huge accomplishment.

I like the idea of converting it to electric. I too have considered such things as using parts of hybrid or electric cars. A Leaf would be worth looking into (more so than a Prius) because the battery capacity is many times greater, and the electric motor is a little less integrated into the whole design. They can be found wrecked but mechanically/electrically OK for very low prices.

Hundreds of volts gives me the willies on water, but for no really good reason. (More deaths occur from contact with 120 v than 440 v, and 120 v is common on boats.) One should observe loads of safety precautions when working with such things... but it would be a fun project!

Good luck!
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 18:20   #39

I have posted 3 replies and 1 personal letter to this guy to talk about
a possible sale of this boat. I have had no response. It is starting to smell like 2 week old fish.
Old 01-02-2020, 20:23   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emery View Post
a possible sale of this boat. I have had no response. It is starting to smell like 2 week old fish.

WOuldn't be the first troll we have seen here.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:30   #41

Boat: Home made 45' Catamaran

No need for insults, I dont live in front of my computer.
Working on the boat takes more time than a few clicks.
You submitted 3 posts in 4 days. I never received a "personnal letter" !?

I might sell it but I am more tempted in building my solar dream right now.
I will give more details but in essence the hulls are good, everything on top will have to go. Structure will have to be revisited, layout will be totally different.
NowAndZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:33   #42

"Regarding hulls;
Did you put a glass layer over top of the foam ?(to encapsulate it)"

I did on one side, not the other... things you do when you are in a hurry to move forward...
Old 02-02-2020, 04:36   #43

Congratulations!! That is a huge accomplishment.

I like the idea of converting it to electric. I too have considered such things as using parts of hybrid or electric cars. A Leaf would be worth looking into (more so than a Prius) because the battery capacity is many times greater, and the electric motor is a little less integrated into the whole design. They can be found wrecked but mechanically/electrically OK for very low prices.

Hundreds of volts gives me the willies on water, but for no really good reason. (More deaths occur from contact with 120 v than 440 v, and 120 v is common on boats.) One should observe loads of safety precautions when working with such things... but it would be a fun project!

Good luck!

Thanks Ken, warms my heart to read positiveness and great advice with the Leaf parts. I will look seriously into it.
Old 02-02-2020, 19:55   #44

I have done some research/investigation into this.
The Leaf & similar batteries are air cooled.
They give off huge amounts of heat which is usually the reason for failure in the middle battery sections which would suppose ventilation inadequate.
A boat pontoon hull is not well ventilated.
Chevrolet Volt is water cooled.

You can pull drive motors from one brand batteries from another & so on.
The batteries are made up of sections so voltage applied is easily assembled
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 17:06   #45

It never fails. Approach someone with respect and positivity and you get ignored. Let one little "jibe" into the one sided conversation and all of a sudden it is an insult. Buddy, if I was going to insult you, I would bring something a lot more aromatic than fish. No matter. Keep your "dream boat". I just offered 20,000.00 on a 48' Cross Trimaran equipped with a 60 hp Perkins Diesel. The offer was accepted. So thank you very much for your lack of attention. You did me a huge favor. I would say " see you out there" but something tells me unless I cruise Tampa Bay, I won't be seeing you at all.

Tags
sail