Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Ian.. You are a troublemaker.

I see from your profile you've finally bought a proper boat after your flirtations with Oysters and tinker tramps and the like
Hi Mike, Well I am 99% decided on one, just going to see a finished article at the end of May in France and then it is decision time, just got to find a good yard to finish it off really nice.
Are you out permanently in the BVI's now?
And honestly I just found this ad in the back of this issue of Yachting Monthly and I had to share it will all multihullers and serious monohullers - if you can't have a bit of fun and a good laugh then you might as well give up.
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:34   #17

Actualy, I've seen a lot of things that seem silly but...if the owner likes the feature and it and it works for him....well....... Like I said, the photo and comment were meant to bait. Should I post a photo of the Lagoon 44 with the flying bridge and ridicule it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi Joli, No I genuinely wasn't trying to bait anybody, and I am sure that even you a monohull enthusiast with strong racing tendencies will agree with me that having a padded garden bench on the aft deck of a monohull and to use it while sailing is verging on the ridiculous.
Ian
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don't think any "home" is complete without (usually) comfortable outdoor seating. Since cruisers are most usually at anchor, I see nothing funny at all about having the seat.
Nor do I see anything inherently wrong, nor funny in the picture below, from the Rybovich party at the recent Palm Beach boat show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AM Drivers seat.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	3244  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:49   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I think if I were an advertising photographer that was taking the photo I'd have those folks placed somewhere else. The 5 point seat belt idea was good.
I do enjoy porch swings. Maybe we'll see some of those on these larger craft soon?
It is fun to look at some of the big boat ads and find the things that you'd never want on your boat and are darn right dangerous.
Ireaney, wasn't it your post in which you were asking for a free multihull? One of our clubmembers just donated a 32 foot cat to the club. Of course, we need to patch the hull where it just went aground and repair the rudders.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Ireaney, wasn't it your post in which you were asking for a free multihull? One of our clubmembers just donated a 32 foot cat to the club. Of course, we need to patch the hull where it just went aground and repair the rudders.
JohnL
Yes John, it was me, gave up in the end, kind of you to think of me.
As I had no offers, I have decided that I (unfortunately) will have to use my own money and buy my own.
Ian
Old 10-04-2008, 13:22   #21

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Are you out permanently in the BVI's now?
Not yet Ian. 6 weeks 'til I 'retire' then another month getting sorted then off to the BVI end of June.

I've also got to spend a week in Cowes doing STCW95 basic safety training(the missus as well) as the BVI have decided even the cook must have the qualification. Ridiculous and also it costs £750 a head. Not very happy about that.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:31   #22
Kai Nui

Gord, not sure if it was the refined comforts of the driver position in that car, or the slightly more exclusive helopad on the boat in the background that you were referring to, but both are nice in their proper element
Old 10-04-2008, 13:42   #23

Ireany, sorry to hijack the thread a little, but if you're still thinking of building a Fusion, this might be of interest: Pacific Multihulls - Home

TBH, I reckon you could build an Oram 50C for less money than a Fusion 40 though...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Not yet Ian. 6 weeks 'til I 'retire' then another month getting sorted then off to the BVI end of June.

Mike, Very envious, I hope you both have a great time and enjoy yourselves.
Cheers
Ian
Old 10-04-2008, 13:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ireany, sorry to hijack the thread a little, but if you're still thinking of building a Fusion, this might be of interest: Pacific Multihulls - Home

TBH, I reckon you could build an Oram 50C for less money than a Fusion 40 though...
Hi 44cc, Yes I had a look at them before, interesting but they seem to be in their early stages, not a lot of history or feedback.
With regards the Oram 50c, I am limiting myself to 40ft as I will be doing most sailing single or shorthanded.
Thanks for the suggestions though.
Ian
Old 10-04-2008, 14:11   #26
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Battery of AC inlets...good eye!
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 22:05   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What on earth are they powering inside that boat? Are they doing arc welding below deck?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:06   #28

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Mark, who is designing them has a long history of multihull design, including designing for Schionning and Harryproa, and has built plenty of boats.
They make a lot of sense to me, and if I was going for a cat, they would be the go. The longer sheets cuts down on a lot of work and polyprop factory sandwiched in epoxy and glass makes a good light and resilient core. I reckon they will go a lot lighter and much cheaper than a fusion,
Robert
Quote:
Hi 44cc, Yes I had a look at them before, interesting but they seem to be in their early stages, not a lot of history or feedback.
With regards the Oram 50c, I am limiting myself to 40ft as I will be doing most sailing single or shorthanded.
Thanks for the suggestions though.
Ian
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
Mark, who is designing them has a long history of multihull design, including designing for Schionning and Harryproa, and has built plenty of boats.
They make a lot of sense to me, and if I was going for a cat, they would be the go. The longer sheets cuts down on a lot of work and polyprop factory sandwiched in epoxy and glass makes a good light and resilient core. I reckon they will go a lot lighter and much cheaper than a fusion,
Robert
Hi Robert, I have infact tried emailing them twice but no replies, which does not instill a lot of confidence, also it looks to me like a larger version of the Spirited 380 - a nice boat none the less - I agree that it would probably be less than an F40 to build but I think the F40 resale value would be much higher purely on the type of kit, and on a personal note I prefer the look and other parts of the design.
Ian
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46   #30

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What on earth are they powering inside that boat? Are they doing arc welding below deck?
It could be that they have so much kw making ability that they export power.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote