Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 19:03   #76

Re: I think we settled on a Gemini, change my mind

We sailed/ motored from the factory and went offshore many times between inlets on our way from the Chesapeake to FL. then across the 'Lake' to FL west coast. many months of cruising FL. then trucked to Seattle, then sailed into Canada, San Juan's and various waters often. Never had and bulkhead problems. This was in '96--2005. Loved the 105. sorry to say I swallowed the anchor and now golf in AZ. But miss the great times and easy living on our 105
Crossing oceans ?? Not sure but what would I be comfortable in? 14' bean for trucking and berthing was prefect. We now charter in the BVI's La Paz, and Bahamas. the 105 would be perfect for all of those. We are still sorry that we turned right instead of left in Stuart FL as the 105 would be perfect for the Bahamas. Had several articles published in Multihull mag regarding our trips.
Just to due diligence and survey and off you go. Enjoy.
boga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 19:29   #77

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
I have not read through all the posts, but I know someone who is a very experienced world cruiser, who said everyone he has met who has done a crossing with a gemini has had bulkheads break. I have spoken to one person who told me his bulkhead split. I would think twice just based on this second hand (now third-hand) word.
Thats the first Ive heard of bulkheads breaking on a Gemini,
Mines crossed the Pacific and now lives at the bottom of Australia,
My bulkheads have not broken,
Im also on the Gemini Forum, If the bulk heads were breaking, They would certainly post this info up on the forum,

Can you give actual evidence where this has happened, Not hear say,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:21   #78

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I spent a few months over the winter in Boot Key Harbor in Marathon Florida. There were twelve Gemini's in the mooring field. We all got together and discussed our boats, the modifications we have all made and some of the problems that come with owning any boat. Not a single person mentioned having problems with bulkheads............

So take second or third hand rumors with a grain of salt.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:55   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
I have not read through all the posts, but I know someone who is a very experienced world cruiser, who said everyone he has met who has done a crossing with a gemini has had bulkheads break. I have spoken to one person who told me his bulkhead split. I would think twice just based on this second hand (now third-hand) word.
Can they name specific boats that reported these problems?

Had one for 12yrs and was active on the yahoo group...never heard of bulkhead breaking.

I have heard of a few with rot issues due to leaks. Most boats with wood bulkheads (majority of interior bulkheads tend to be wood) don't fair well if you let a leak go on. But with fairly simple construction, it's straight forward to repair.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cunningham View Post
Suggest looking at Endeavourcat 36.
The 15' beam fits in a single slip.
Built like a tank. Will not win a regatta.
Two engines makes tight maneuvering a non-issue, but comes at cost of more parts and maintenance.
Galley down, but open to the salon.
My 5'2" wife is always part of the conversation and serving food is easy.
I would never go for a galley up in anything less than 40' OAL.
Athwartship queen berth forward with hatches for air and view.
Love the Endeavourcat 36 as a living platform...but significantly up the price scale for similar age/condition.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:04   #81
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Gemini’s can have their build problems and quite a few have flipped but I’ve never heard of bulkhead issues .
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 19:51   #82

Boat: None at this time

Possible Contender.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83824
Newb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 10:03   #83

Boat: Lagoon 42

I've seen a lot of Gemini on the hook in The Bahamas. Even if that was all you felt comfortable with as far as coastal cruising, its not a bad place to be "stuck."
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 10:38   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Gemini’s can have their build problems and quite a few have flipped but I’ve never heard of bulkhead issues .
Please tell us which ones have flipped ----when and where?????
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 10:43   #85
cruiser

I have had cruising sailboats since 1970--50 years and 10 boats. This year in Jan I bought a 1996 Gemini 105M. Iput10k into it since using my extensive cruising an owning experiences. I love the boat and as a experienced engineer I appreciate the detailed thought and effort the makers of the boat put into it.
Old 21-07-2020, 10:44   #86
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Please tell us which ones have flipped ----when and where?????

I lost count at well over 15 flipped Gemini’s that I’d heard about, and that was about 15 years ago.
Old 21-07-2020, 16:36   #87

Quote:
I lost count at well over 15 flipped Gemini’s that I’d heard about, and that was about 15 years ago.
Sorry to have to point out the obvious, but that's not providing a list of which ones flipped where. It's instead a completely unsupported assertion by an anonymous person on the internet. Why even bother to post that, it has zero credibility?

I don't own a Gemini but know plenty of folks that do and sail with them regularly and know quite a bit about them. And I'm calling complete BS on the idea that 15 have flipped ever, let alone in the first few years they were out. Absent any evidence you would care to provide to support that unsupported assertion of yours?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 16:49   #88
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Sorry to have to point out the obvious, but that's not providing a list of which ones flipped where. It's instead a completely unsupported assertion by an anonymous person on the internet. Why even bother to post that, it has zero credibility?

I don't own a Gemini but know plenty of folks that do and sail with them regularly and know quite a bit about them. And I'm calling complete BS on the idea that 15 have flipped ever, let alone in the first few years they were out. Absent any evidence you would care to provide to support that unsupported assertion of yours?

As I said it’s been awhile so my memory doesn’t bring back all the circumstances, surely that’s understandable? I said that was about 15 years ago so at that point the Gemini’s had been produced for almost 25 years, not a few years.
We’ve owned 2 Gemini’s and have been friends with countless other Gemini owners. I’ve spoken with a couple who’s Gemini flipped and learned about others.
Don’t get me wrong, Gemini’s are great boats for their intended purpose, but should be sailed with some caution.
Old 21-07-2020, 20:01   #89

Quote:
As I said it’s been awhile so my memory doesn’t bring back all the circumstances, surely that’s understandable? I said that was about 15 years ago so at that point the Gemini’s had been produced for almost 25 years, not a few years.
We’ve owned 2 Gemini’s and have been friends with countless other Gemini owners. I’ve spoken with a couple who’s Gemini flipped and learned about others.
Don’t get me wrong, Gemini’s are great boats for their intended purpose, but should be sailed with some caution.
Memory is a tricky little sucker, especially as we get older. Either the earlier versions were more prone to flipping and none are around today or the memory might be a little off? Because there certainly isn't a record of 15 flipping in recent times. In fact the only ones I know of flipped in a tornado and due to a hull breach unrelated to it being a Gemini.

And interestingly I note that in a post in 2016 here you claimed you knew of 8-9 that had flipped. Seems the number has almost doubled in the last 4 years.....but how could that be since the 15 flips you now know about supposedly happened prior to 15 years ago, so prior to your 2016 post stating 8-9 had flipped in all of Gemini history?(https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-160504-6.html)
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 20:11   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Ok -Just a little more for anything definitive: Just who was the couple that flipped you spoke to??? Was it a single " couple" or a multiple couple? A married couple or 2 different boats . When & where did they "flip" and what model gem??? Or do you just spew unsubstantiated word salads??

Tags
gemini