Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2008, 10:32   #121

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Thanks for the input Gideon, the figures I quoted do not include wastage, as I didn't know how much to estimate, now I do. Many thanks!!

I might take you up on your offer to see an infusion. I am planning on bringing out a guy from Diab to train the crew on-site, and do the first hull, as they now have a system where you don't need a full plug even.

Yes the boat has grown to 49 ft. I needed som more bouyancy in the sterns. Also to improve the look of the boat.

Will get back to you later.

Regards

Alan
Old 13-04-2008, 10:42   #122
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Thanks for the input Gideon, the figures I quoted do not include wastage, as I didn't know how much to estimate, now I do. Many thanks!!

I might take you up on your offer to see an infusion. I am planning on bringing out a guy from Diab to train the crew on-site, and do the first hull, as they now have a system where you don't need a full plug even.

Yes the boat has grown to 49 ft. I needed som more bouyancy in the sterns. Also to improve the look of the boat.

Regards

Alan
Hallo Alan

I do not know where you will get your foam from but we keep a couple of containerloads on hand since we are the importeres for all infusion foam here for Diab
We have 12 infusion experts on site not counting me so any time you need help let me know , i do not mind sharing info.
If you are doing epoxy we carry 20 tons on site The other imprter of marine grade epoxy AMT in Johannesburg is to expensive

We have a complete wharehouse of everything needed to build boats so make use of it.

Greetings

Gideon
Old 13-04-2008, 10:53   #123
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post

Regards

Alan
We build sail away plugs all the time since 5 years , it saves on wastage and time
we carry all the infusion foams in house as we are the importers for divinycell infusion foams in South Africa.
If you are building in South Africa we might be able to help you with a lot more , we have 12 infusion experts on site in the factory carry loads of marine grade epoxy etc.
We bring in complete boats in parts from Europe and the states, the South Africa Suppliers are just to expensive.
All you need for a sail away plug is
Plastic templets with marking of core density, core thickness, where to place chamfers etc.
or
IGS-files or STP-files with core density, core thickness, where to place chamfers etc.
This is what I prefer since it saves more time.

Greetings

Gideon

p.s. if you do it right your sail away plug will be the lightest cat you will ever build since no channels are in the foam and the core is infused 2 sided.
Old 27-08-2008, 15:44   #124

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
But you can't have it all even with more money. Handling a large boat is serious work on a good day for a young guy (younger than me). For someone retired it could kill you on a less than good day - they happen. It's not about the boat - it's about you and working within your own limits of what one person can and can not do. At this stage of your life - it's supposed to all be fun! Don't go looking for a new full time job writing checks and scrubbing decks.

Don't miss the goal because you couldn't figure out what really is important. When you know that answer you'll be ready to go.

If they wouldn't come on a small boat they won't come on a big boat.

If you have to work to death to entertain why not die now and leave them the money. People that can't take you on terms that are comfortable for you have already passed you by.

A boat you can handle is one you can go where you want and when you want. A large enough boat will make you stuck, unable to move with too much work to do. You need the smallest boat that works - for you! You don't need a boat for other people. If you play that game you don't get to leave because you have too much work to do so others don't have to.
wow im printing this and putting it on my fridge.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:11   #125
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
FYI.

A post was deleted from this thread for being repetitively argumentative. Two related posts have been subsequently deleted as well. If this thread is to remain open, posters will have to stick to the topic and refrain from inappropriate postings.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:17   #126
cruiser

Original topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
FYI.

A post was deleted from this thread for being repetitively argumentative. Two related posts have been subsequently deleted as well. If this thread is to remain open, posters will have to stick to the topic and refrain from inappropriate postings.
If we are to delete all comments that aren't to the point of the original thread topic, we'll certainly save a lot of bandwidth. How long would this thread be if we did that?
Old 28-08-2008, 10:24   #127
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
The points made commercially by Gideon were themselves thread drift and the drift on the type of hull, epoxy etc was miles away from the original subject yet they were allowed to stand. My post simply questioned two commercial points being made and themselves not deleted.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:33   #128
cruiser

Hm........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
The points made commercially by Gideon were themselves thread drift and the drift on the type of hull, epoxy etc was miles away from the original subject yet they were allowed to stand. My post simply questioned two commercial points being made and themselves not deleted.
And yet the moderators claim that the reason they don't censor remarkable claims made by a certain boatbuilder because they are grist for the mill, and the points made can be refuted by other posters who bring up facts to the contrary. Hm........they may be tired of the whole issue, and yet we go around and around other issues, such as sinkers versus turtle-turners-
Old 28-08-2008, 10:38   #129
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You two are missing the point.

The recent post by Gludy that was removed responded to a very old post by FastCat435, and repeated arguments that Gludy has made numerous times in numerous threads. It is becoming counterproductive, and that is why that post, and a subsequent post by FastCat and by Gludy were also removed.

You are welcome to challenge facts with facts. But at some point it becomes carping. We don't need to hear the same thing over and over again, especially when posted to argue with a post from the archives.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:44   #130
cruiser

An ongoing issue

Quote:

The recent post by Gludy that was removed responded to a very old post by FastCat435, and repeated arguments that Gludy has made numerous times in numerous threads. It is becoming counterproductive, and that is why that post, and a subsequent post by FastCat and by Gludy were also removed.

You are welcome to challenge facts with facts. But at some point it becomes carping. We don't need to hear the same thing over and over again, especially when posted to argue with a post from the archives.
I think this wasn't the place for that post, either, but I can see where Gludy is coming from, too. I think he is responding to the larger issue of Gideon's ongoing use of this forum to market his wares, with what Gludy views as untrue claims, and was triggered by what he sees as posts that comprise more marketing by Gideon.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:14   #131

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:

Now I understand...old facts aren't revalent ...only the most recent posts are facts that should be debated.. And if you quote what someone said to make a point, it's considered carping.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:16   #132
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gludy and I have exchanged several PMs on this matter. His issues will be discussed by the Forum management team. Further discussion here will be counterproductive to everyone's interests.
Old 28-08-2008, 12:31   #133

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Regarding 007's original question
Quote:
If I compromise will i ever know?
Of course you will know, most all of life is a compromise, a series of either/or's, this or that's, one or the other's. So what? Very little in life--save death and taxes--is cast in stone, eh? You make a mistake--you learn from it, fix it or change it, and go on about your business.

If you are one prone to second guessing yourself, and/or berating yourself for having made a less than optimal decision (such an appraisal usually based upon subsequent information) you are doomed to a life of relentless dissatisfaction and regret. If you can make a decision and not later waste time bemoaning the woulda, coulda, shoulda's but enjoy what you have, your life--and yachting--will be a much more rewarding experience.

My daughter has a great saying she learned while sailing a 50+ foot yacht from St. Martin to Trinidad with a bunch of other teenagers this past summer:

Quote:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, and Today is a Gift--which is why it's called The Present!
All the rest of the commentary hereinbefore is just static that entirely misses the point--and the question!

Cheers!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 28-08-2008, 12:38   #134
cruiser

Polonius speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Regarding 007's original question Of course you will know, most all of life is a compromise, a series of either/or's, this or that's, one or the other's. So what? Very little in life--save death and taxes--is cast in stone, eh? You make a mistake--you learn from it, fix it or change it, and go on about your business.

If you are one prone to second guessing yourself, and/or berating yourself for having made a less than optimal decision (such an appraisal usually based upon subsequent information) you are doomed to a life of relentless dissatisfaction and regret. If you can make a decision and not later waste time bemoaning the woulda, coulda, shoulda's but enjoy what you have, your life--and yachting--will be a much more rewarding experience.

My daughter has a great saying she learned while sailing a 50+ foot yacht from St. Martin to Trinidad with a bunch of other teenagers this past summer:

All the rest of the commentary hereinbefore is just static that entirely misses the point--and the question!

Cheers!

s/v HyLyte
  • Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportion’d thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch’d, unfledg’d comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel but, being in,
Bear’t that th’ opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man’s censure, but reserve thy judgement.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express’d in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man;
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man (I, iii)
Old 28-08-2008, 21:34   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The Rules

Quote:
Gludy and I have exchanged several PMs on this matter. His issues will be discussed by the Forum management team. Further discussion here will be counterproductive to everyone's interests.
Hud is one of our best moderators and he has gone out of his way to explain what is happening.

Just this series of posts is a perfect example of how these posts can disrupt our forums.

It is not the purpose of the moderation team to moderate who is right or who is wrong, that is for individual members to decide. If an individual wants to bring "new" information to a discussion it is most welcome.

Finally - this will probably be the last public statement on this topic. I implore everyone to take 5 minutes and read the rules once again so that things that moderators do might be more understandable.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/?page=rules
Closed Thread