Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 06:01   #541

Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Hi all I brought a cat in from Florida last year just had to de gas the aircon not the fridge i think diferent gas had a letter from a fridge man. Tax can be a problem in Florida for you or the seller will pay tax if a private sale in Florida only agents can give you an exemption but in Georga it is the oposite private sale no tax but if sold by an agent it is taxed so we sailed up to Savanna and did the deal. Remember you are dealing with tax men here no hand shake deals you have to have a notory to sign the legal transfer of title in the state of sale. Then there is the insurance try getting insurance in Florida in the Hurricane season. Just add 10% to 20% to that spreed sheet and you will be about right. Remember once they have your boat on the ship they call the shots the quote you got and the estimations you made are worth nothing our boat was off loaded in Brisbane on Friday customs inspected it on Monday we had 3 days they counted saturday sunday monday had to move the boat or holding charges would apply at $800 a day customs would not inspect it as there was personal items in the boat like a hat on the table so we had to move it to a holding yard up the road for 3 days until customs would re inspect it now your talking about a lowloader and they wanted to take it of the truck again now this is another crain job at $600 lucky for me the boat carrier truck had another job delayed so he could leave it on the truck in the holding yard. I would be very carful of the type of timber used for any cradle we were lucky untreated timber used and they didnt notice remember they have your boat and they can ask almost anything of you and you will have to pay. Next time ill sail over, then it will be another set of problems. Who would own a boat?
rustyrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 15:21   #542
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Denis/et al

My boat is on its way and expected to be here in about 4 weeks. Any guide that can help me get the import paperwork done without mistakes would be appreciated - even if it's written on the back of beer coasters. I certainly don't want to raise the ire of the local authorities. Let me know if i can "proof" read your guide for you and test it out.
PM me your email address and I will send you what I have. My work on this has slowed down due to an apparent lack of interest from others and my inability to get non conflicting answers if any. At the moment I just have a selection of quotes and a spread sheet which is not finished. But I can send you what I have.

Dennis.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 15:37   #543

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
4 Days - 96 hours (unless the journey is less than 96 hours)
Thanks Factor, sorry guys that could have been an expensive mistake.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 15:54   #544

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
PM me your email address and I will send you what I have. My work on this has slowed down due to an apparent lack of interest from others and my inability to get non conflicting answers if any. At the moment I just have a selection of quotes and a spread sheet which is not finished. But I can send you what I have.

Dennis.
Dennis,

I'm surprised there's a lack of interest.
I've just sent you a PM too.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 01:11   #545
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks Factor, sorry guys that could have been an expensive mistake.
No worries, and remember thast a minimum, call every week with updated times etc, cant hurt to let them know too much rather than too little.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 04:29   #546

denissail - tried to PM you but got the following error message "Due to abuse by spammers, new members are not allowed to send links in their private messages until they have become trusted members."
onthehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 04:39   #547

Dragon Lady, Factor - thanks for the advice - sailing on her own bottom due in brisbane in about 3 weeks so hopefully I have enough time to tidy up the paperwork. Still trying to work out how to PM denisail. not game to post my email address "live"
onthehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 04:57   #548

Quote:
Dragon Lady, Factor - thanks for the advice - sailing on her own bottom due in brisbane in about 3 weeks so hopefully I have enough time to tidy up the paperwork. Still trying to work out how to PM denisail. not game to post my email address "live"
just write the email in the PM as xxxxxx at yyyyy dot com.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 16:06   #549

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Denis,

Why don't you publish the spreadsheet as a Google Doc page so that others can input their own info?
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 17:07   #550
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Email send sent Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
Denis,

Why don't you publish the spreadsheet as a Google Doc page so that others can input their own info?
I just showed a screen shot of the first draft of the spreadsheet before. When it is finished it will be an excel file available to all and anyone will be able to edit it. I have sent it to the 2 people who have asked for it already (I just don't like sending what I have now since its not finished etc). Anyone can add input at any time right now and when I think its worth showing everyone I will post it here for all.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 17:10   #551

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Great! It's an excellent exercise and will help out a lot of folks who are curious about the reality of import costs. When you are finished, may I post it up on my non-commercial info site? With all credits of course
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 22:06   #552

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Free information about the process of importing a yacht to Australia:
www.importayacht.com.au

Great site drawing all info and links togather.

Many thanks. Hoping to utilise the info soon.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 22:22   #553

Quote:
I must be about 2 weeks behind you, what sort of distance have you been able cover each day?
Are you using a customs agent or are you doing it yourself?
Are you going to stop a New Caledonia?
Old 27-06-2011, 00:23   #554

Boat: Privilege 37

I am a few years ahead of import, but a few questions will add to my knowledge base.

Did you register as an Australian Vessel before arriving in Australia?

Does full Australian registration prevent the need for individual state registration?

If you have no idea what the gas is in the fridge/freezer/aircon how will this affect the import process?

Is it better to arrive in NSW than Queensland?
Old 27-06-2011, 02:16   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I am a few years ahead of import, but a few questions will add to my knowledge base.

Did you register as an Australian Vessel before arriving in Australia?

Yes it's illegal not to.

Does full Australian registration prevent the need for individual state registration?

Unfortunately not.

If you have no idea what the gas is in the fridge/freezer/aircon how will this affect the import process?

No sure but I think it will be treated as a worst case scenario and you may have to pay for the degas.

Is it better to arrive in NSW than Queensland?
I think it depends on the time of year, I believe everyone goes to QLD this time of year due to the storms in NSW.

Hope this helps, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tags
Australia