Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 00:39   #586
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Pourpre is due into Noumea tonight, I hope to fly out to Noumea Saturday.
ETA in Bundaburg about the 22nd July.
How exciting!

We'll look for you/Pourpre either in some beautiful anchorage we might share somewhere along the Aussie coastline, or perhaps at one of our exhibitions.

Is there a story behind the name, Pourpre?

Hope you have a great voyage from Noumea!!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 01:07   #587

Boat: Custom

Enjoy the trip Dragon Lady, having watched this one grow since conception, it will be exciting to be there at the birth

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 01:38   #588

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Thanks guys, Pourpre is a French name for a colour similar to purple it is pronounced poorp.
And yes the taxable import costs are from Noumea, my customs broker has confirmed this.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 07:43   #589
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Phew. the end of a long thread! so far,...and its July 23, I guess DL's cat is close by.

Well I read all these comments as I'm planning to buy a cat in the near future as well and looking at all options. Probably a lagoon 380 and probably from the Med or Caribbean. Not yet sure if I will be going the cheaper up front cost boat with more $$$ required to make ship shape, or spending more initially (maybe buy new ex factory).

Either way the information in here has covered a LOT of things I wouldn't have even thought to ask, so thanks a lot for all the input.

Feel free to message me if you think you can assist in my journey, perhaps with a late model, well set up cat in the Med.

I'm also thinking of hiring delivery skippers to help with more difficult stages, a week here, 2 there, or maybe find an experienced cat sailor who wants to spend a few weeks cruising the Med, Caribbean etc on the way Home.

Just a few random thoughts...
Cheers
Monte.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 14:16   #590

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Dragon Lady you will no doubt be back in aus shortly.

Congratulations on your vessel and hoping the last leg went well.

Exactly how long did the delivery trip take from Panama.

Cheers.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 23:09   #591

Boat: Able 50

I'm not sure of the best place to post this so I picked this thread. Dragon Lady has gone quiet so why not. He's probably kicking back with the wheel between his toes sipping on some brightly colored concoction with an umbrella in it.

There are quite a few Australian people reading this thread who have suggested an interest in buying a boat in the US. The Australian dollar passed through 109 US today and should continue rising for a few days up to 110 or so. The next few days are as good as it will get in the short term to change your money to USD. You are then free to buy at your leisure.

Pretty soon the US congress will approve the debt ceiling and there will be a surge in USD demand, probably one day next week. Word has it that Uncle Ben was spotted at Kinko's buying a couple of pallets of ink so he's ready for some late night action. I know it's perverse that an announcement of more debt is treated as good news but that's the way it is. AUD will probably fall back a little when this happens. Expect those kind hearted and dutifully compliant souls in the mainstream media to stoke the fires with lurid tales of woe in Europe.

If you can't move soon then just sit tight and enjoy the benefits of Australia's high interest rates. October would be a good time to make offers to owners in the colder northern states. They will be facing the prospect of paying for the haulout and decommissioning of a boat they don't want.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 23:46   #592
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Exactly how long did the delivery trip take from Panama.
CatNirvana took exactly 59 days from Panama City to Sydney, including a one-day stopover in Tahiti.

One could, however, very easily spend years covering (and enjoying!) the same miles!
Old 26-07-2011, 08:25   #593

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Thanks for the insight savoir. As I am in the US right now, I might try to get some extra cash out in the next few days
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 03:05   #594

Hi Guys,

Now in Bundy on Pourpre waiting for final customs clearance.
Total time was 112 days from St Martin with 3 week wait to go through the canal.
Delivery crew were excellent and the boat had very few problems, I can't help feeling I was very lucky to have it all work so well even though there was a lot of planning involved.
Would I do it again?
You bet but, I need a bit of a rest first.
Anyway I hope to keep Pourpre for quite some time and enjoy her.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:40   #595

Congrats. Enjoy your rest but then share some 'do and don'ts' please!

I'm still agonizing over several different boats, really need to stand on them first, but can't escape work and personal commitments just yet...

I hear Savoir's 'big call' on the $. But I recently saw an article where it was predicted to go to $1.50 ...... on the same day someone else (also 'expert') said it would be going back to $0.75. I like where it is right now, dying to go and do it.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 03:58   #596

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Congratulations Dragon Lady.
Oh Whatta Feeling!! Enjoy
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 05:09   #597
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Now in Bundy on Pourpre waiting for final customs clearance. Total time was 112 days from St Martin
Well done...and welcome home to both you and Poupre! We'll look for you on some beautiful anchorage in the (hopefully!) not-too-distant future!
Old 27-07-2011, 05:12   #598

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Congrats. Enjoy your rest but then share some 'do and don'ts' please!

I'm still agonizing over several different boats, really need to stand on them first, but can't escape work and personal commitments just yet...

I hear Savoir's 'big call' on the $. But I recently saw an article where it was predicted to go to $1.50 ...... on the same day someone else (also 'expert') said it would be going back to $0.75. I like where it is right now, dying to go and do it.
You don't want to be moving money when the "$1.50" happens. Things will be very ugly in very many places. It could happen next year perhaps but not this year. In the next week 111 is your best price then USD will surge after Boehner and Obama cut their deal. Pent up demand will be huge.

For most this is all academic but the 75c bit is claptrap.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:01   #599

After playing the exchange game all I can say is it's not for the faint hearted.
There is no real sense to it. Now is a good time buy goods that are well priced in USD, in the future it may get better or worse but I don't believe anyone really knows.
There is a lot of uncertainty in the financial world and the AUD is fluctuating because of it.
In my opinion if the change in the short term exchange rate is a deal breaker for you don't do it you are sailing too close to the wind.
Give your self some margin as many have said on this forum costs add up and turn out more than you expected.

Now for the actual importation process.
Bundaberg is a great place with really nice people, perhaps with the exception of the young lady who met us at the quarantine wharf, but she may have been having a bad day as many people at her age do.
The customs and quarantine people were great, we tried to be as honest and helpful as we could and they seemed to appreciate that.
We surrendered a small amount of food and garbage which we happy to do and one souvenir necklace had to be posted to the USA because it contained seeds.
One interesting comment from the quarantine guy was that he copped an unreasonable amount of grief from people importing wooden boats from high risk countries.
It seems after they have to pay all the duty and tax he has to come along and decide if the boat needs a $800 termite inspection.
If it is required the boat owner sometimes takes out all their frustration on him which I think is most unfair.
As this happens to people who buy a boat without doing prior research, it will not be applicable to any of you guys because you are here doing your research.
Interestingly USA is a high risk country so be warned.
By the way France is not but the Caribbean is, so that's why I am waiting for a final assessment.

Another tip is have good fuel filters, the diesel in Galapagos is like coffee including the grinds, unbelievably bad.
I am just about to start draining my tank to give it a full clean out, can't wait LOL!

I hope this helps.
Old 27-07-2011, 17:01   #600
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Awesome news. Well not on the diesel, but the rest. Congrats.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia