Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 15:18   #736

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
It's technically illegal to live permanently on your boat in most Australian States anyway... so I doubt this would work. I wish it would though as it could help me out too!
I don't think it's illegal if you're a full time cruiser and keep moving.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 15:33   #737

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I don't think it's illegal if you're a full time cruiser and keep moving.
Definitely not illegal! I put my financial situation as a retired person living onboard to Centrelink. The response was that they would even give rent assistance while living in marinas!

So you have me thinking about claiming back the GST on my "residence" when I get it back to Australia! Worth a try!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:09   #738

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

OK... I knew this would happen. Personally I know that it's very possible to live aboard, but alas, it is technically illegal (here it is for NSW... I'm too busy to look it up for VIC and QLD) NSW Legislation all I was saying is that since it is illegal on the books, I doubted whether the Tax Office would condone it as a residence.

Obviously Jamels experience with Centerlink say's otherwise... which is awesome in my opinion
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:25   #739

Boat: Norseman 447

had this once when we registered a car in NZ, put on the form as our address, "Yacht Archer, Berth C20, Nelson Marina" Lady at Post Office said that wasn't accepatble and didnt I have an address I could just use, I said No the Yacht is our Home and to put anything else would be lying and did she really want me to lie on an official form. she scurried out the back and spoke to her boss and then came back and said that would be fine.
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 21:28   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
OK... I knew this would happen. Personally I know that it's very possible to live aboard, but alas, it is technically illegal (here it is for NSW... I'm too busy to look it up for VIC and QLD) NSW Legislation all I was saying is that since it is illegal on the books, I doubted whether the Tax Office would condone it as a residence.

Obviously Jamels experience with Centerlink say's otherwise... which is awesome in my opinion

Yeah, totally! Unlike what most people think (Big Brother is watching you), government departments are not always liasing or sharing databases with each other (the one proviso is the ATO doing an audit on you). In NSW it is illegal to live aboard and NSW Maritime is the government department (supposedly) enforcing that. But Centrelink don't 'know' it's illegal or really care, actually - hence Jamel's experience. In reality, there are many people living aboard permanently in NSW, they just have to smart about it and move around periodically. In QLD, it is legal to live aboard; not sure about other states?

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:13   #741

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
So without wanting to nosey your private details can you confirm that in my case I will be up for GST as follows: Cost of boat (US built) $165,000,
delivery $1000 from last port New Cal. Total assesed for GST=$166,000

Therefore, GST @10% = $16600.00, correct?
GST on $166,000-00 = $$16,600-00

Total = $182,600-00
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:21   #742

Boat: Catalina 42 MkII

Cost then Import Duty of 5% first, then GST applied.
hogesinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:27   #743

Boat: Able 50

Correctamundo.

$166,000 + $8,300 duty + $17,430 GST = $191,730 total

This calculation makes no allowance for delivery charges.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:56   #744

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
So without wanting to nosey your private details can you confirm that in my case I will be up for GST as follows: Cost of boat (US built) $165,000,
delivery $1000 from last port New Cal. Total assesed for GST=$166,000

Therefore, GST @10% = $16600.00, correct?
I believe that is correct.
Interestingly I had to challenge my customs agent on a few points like paying GST on charts that I had bought in Aust with GST added.
I also signed on as Captain for the Noumea to Bundaberg leg and officially imported the boat myself.
Customs were OK with that.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 23:07   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
Yeah, totally! Unlike what most people think (Big Brother is watching you), government departments are not always liasing or sharing databases with each other (the one proviso is the ATO doing an audit on you). In NSW it is illegal to live aboard and NSW Maritime is the government department (supposedly) enforcing that. But Centrelink don't 'know' it's illegal or really care, actually - hence Jamel's experience. In reality, there are many people living aboard permanently in NSW, they just have to smart about it and move around periodically. In QLD, it is legal to live aboard; not sure about other states?
Exactly Centerlink is Federal dept and Waterways is state so in theory they don't traditionally cross match data bases, but this is changing and one day it may happen.
Old 05-09-2011, 23:07   #746

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Correctamundo.

$166,000 + $8,300 duty + $17,430 GST = $191,730 total

This calculation makes no allowance for delivery charges.
No duty on an American built boat due to trade agreement, just GST on cost of boat plus delivery charges
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 23:17   #747
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

he did state US built , therefore no duty payable

as far as GST , its payable on everything, including your own home
maybe some people are getting confused with CGT capital gains tax which isn't payable on your own home. GST is payed on all goods and services imported or supplied in Australia including building materials, supplies Trade labor etc.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 23:40   #748
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Staying on a boat in NSW...

I had a quick read through the Legislation and, having no legal expertise whatsoever, could not find the section that prohibited living on a boat.

I did find a section that authorised the use of a houseboat.

My understanding is that one may anchor for up to 3 days in any one location. The total days that one can stay on an anchored boat is limited (I have a murky recollection of 90 - probably wrong...).

It could be possible that there is confusion between living, which implies a permanent, immobile residence, and staying, which implies an impermanent, mobile, habitation.

I would expect that, if one were visited by Waterways officers, that raising the anchor and proceeding to another location would greatly lessen any concerns that they may have. Having a boat registered to a shoreside address where one is contactable would also be desirable.

From time to time I see boats anchored in Sydney Harbour that clearly have people staying on them. There used to be a few houseboats but these seem to have gone now. Other than that I do not recall ever seeing any boat with persons clearly living on board.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 00:49   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm heading to France Friday to go to some boat shows (La Rochelle) and check out some second hand Lagoon 380's as well. Most of the info in this thread has been great for researching, especially first hand experiences. Thanks and keep it up!
PS Id love to have a quick chat to D&D or DL on the phone if I could before I leave if its cool send me a message with your # and I'll call.
If you're looking for a Lagoon 380 this one might suit you:-
Location voiliers catamarans Antilles- Croisire Grenadines- Martinique
These people are very honest and treated me well.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:13   #750
cruiser

Australia is a nice place and it is deserving to import a boat there, when it comes to business matter there's no problem about that.
kolbywhite28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia