Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 04:06   #61

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: In search of perfect expedition boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
And why stop there? I imagine reaching Beveridge Reef after sunset, and after a long tiring sail. First I reef the sails, then go below. Start the Jacuzzi tub (with bubbles and fine champagne, of course), then use the monitor and remote controls to start the diesel, turn on the masthead mounted halogen spot lamp and camera, man the helm, and cruise on through the entrance and arrive at our anchoring spot - all while relaxing below in a bubblebath Jacuzzi. Now how cool would THAT be?

Yeah ... well ... I like thinking outside the box sometimes.

"Hey SV Delos crew!... You've been to Beveridge Reef. You know what I'm taking about." (haha)
We've been to Beveridge. Great spot, but I don't care how much electronics you have, that's not a reef I'd ever enter after sunset! Even when I think outside the box.

As far as boats go, I see someone posted a photo of Dashew's Beowulf. Great boat, but even the Sundeer line would be options for this. Even his 'smaller' 60-64' boats had a dedicated engine with generous workspace.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Interesting. That's good. My opinion? If you have $500K ready to roll, you should not be here. Go make the deal. When it comes to used boats, it's a "buyers market". Also, don't forget what I wrote to you in my original reply. Before you set sail on your "far off" ocean expeditions/adventures, get REAL familiar with what's needed - beyond being a damn good sailor. Bon voyage!
You didn't catch my point If price will drop to 500K, that will be SWEET starting point for negotiation
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:23   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
As for second part - it might be hard to understand for you, guys, but for me adventure - to see remote places, diving there, exploring the oceans, other activities. Sailing - not so much. I love idea of having my own home with me, but I'm not a sailor. Sailing for me (for now, at least) - way of getting from point A to point B without starting the engines. If there would be solar powered boat within my price range, I would prefer that. If power boat wouldn't consume so much fuel, I would take that as well. May be I will become addicted to sailing later on. And that will be different story.

Rigging? Watching how S/V Delos replaced their rigging, I can tell that with one helper I can do it easily.
Mmmmmmmmmm. You're starting to lose me. Do you want to sail? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet today. I started sailing 50 years ago, and some of the things you're saying are making me wonder. Are you looking for a Patreon life, like Delos, Vagabonde, and the current explosion of others searching to mimic that lifestyle by making money uploading videos?

Anyway, I'm now confused. As a final thought, and as I said before, Bon Voyage.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
We've been to Beveridge. Great spot, but I don't care how much electronics you have, that's not a reef I'd ever enter after sunset! Even when I think outside the box.
I was joking. Not about Beveridge, but about how to enter properly. After sunset, and navigating from my bathtub down below? Nope.

By the way, congrats. Beveridge is on my to-do list also.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:33   #65

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Holy sh*t! $250K of difference you call "very close"?! Two hundred fifty thousand dollars?! I think it's huge difference (and huge amount of money for me, regardless of anything).
For both - seller and buyer.
For seller sometimes it takes years to realize price has to come down. A specially, if seller is wealthy person, and more important, if he has place to keep boat for free/very cheap. I've contacted seller of that boat directly. He is wealthy person indeed. Even though I found him directly, I don't think he even would be willing to close deal directly, without broker (to save - how much? 10%?).

For buyer - $250K - that's many years of cruising, if one won't be stupid and will be doing most work on the boat himself.

As for second part - it might be hard to understand for you, guys, but for me adventure - to see remote places, diving there, exploring the oceans, other activities. Sailing - not so much. I love idea of having my own home with me, but I'm not a sailor. Sailing for me (for now, at least) - way of getting from point A to point B without starting the engines. If there would be solar powered boat within my price range, I would prefer that. If power boat wouldn't consume so much fuel, I would take that as well. May be I will become addicted to sailing later on. And that will be different story.

As for repair - I don't see any magic in the boat in that regard. Engine is the engine, I can fix and rebuild one if needed. Plumbing is plumbing. I can fix and modify any of it without any problem. Rigging? Watching how S/V Delos replaced their rigging, I can tell that with one helper I can do it easily.
Sanding? Paint? Don't see any problems there, I have all required equipment and knowledge. Electronics? Electrical? I have electronics engineer degree, so you might guess, I have no problems with that. Fiberglass repair? Haven't done big projects, just small ones, but that's no big deal, right? Aluminum boat? Stainless parts? I have welders for that. What else? Sails? I will buy Sailrite, my wife would take care of that, as well as upholstery, seat covers, etc.
So that 10K boat will eventually suck from me $20-30K (moorage, taxes, materials, parts), creating headache at the end - I've read many stories of guys trying to sell cheap old boats for many months if not years. I might as well save these money and use them for refit of boat that I will buy. As for learning to sail - yes, I will do that of course. Things are lining up slowly. Knowledge, finances, skills. Much slower than I want, but it's not easy to jump out of the box after you were living in that box all your life.
What I was getting at in my prior post was that if this boat in question is that close to your ideal boat, then talk to the seller, & find a way to make the fiscal bits work. As given your list of desired features, you won't often run across something that checks nearly so many of your boxes.

I categorically was not saying that $1/2 million, & $3/4 million are close.
To be clear, there's a lot more I could say, but I'd be wasting bandwidth. Either you'll change & adapt, or you won't. And if so it'll be a big paradigm shift for certain.

PS: Catalina 30', & a canvas bathtub on deck, in the cockpit, or on the beach.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:47   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: In search of perfect expedition boat

Another great sailing boat.. and go for a demountable deck tub.. is the Garcia Exploration..
Garcia Exploration 45 - Yachting Monthly review

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 05:58   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Honestly - what is the difference? I'm very new to sailing world. 1 year ago I knew nothing about it. Like absolutely nothing, zero. I've learned a lot since, studied tremendous amount of information, watching the market very closely for last year. So I know, what's on the market, how prices change, etc. I know that I'm much closer to my dreamboat now than year ago, not because I've won lottery, but because prices on many boats dropped a lot. I actually see few boats which I would buy and refit, but current price plus refit is way over my budget. But the things are getting there.

850K buys me 3-4-year old Lagoon 620, with 500K extras included in it, which basically has everything except the workshop, which is easy to make in one of the cabins.

Alternatively, for less cash, a Lagoon 50 is plenty damn roomy to do what you want.

I used to captain one that had builtin washer/dryer, dishwasher, very large additional fridge/freezer space, pop up big screen TV, and...my favorite...a kegerator (beer taps) as well. The forward cockpit could easily be converted to a jacuzzi. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 09:54   #68

Boat: Lots of boats.

A proper expedition boat:
https://shearmadness72.com/
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 21:41   #69

Big difference between " I can learn to fix..." and "I can fix..." and covering that gap takes time. Particularly given the numbers of systems, crucial and otherwise, on a boat the size you're fantasizing about. Oh, and there's that sailing thing too. Suspect there is a good reason why boats that size have crew quarters. Time for a needs vs wants list, then find the smallest boat that fits your needs. And boat costs don't stop at purchase, got a cruising budget worked out?
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 07:55   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
What I was getting at in my prior post was that if this boat in question is that close to your ideal boat, then talk to the seller, & find a way to make the fiscal bits work. As given your list of desired features, you won't often run across something that checks nearly so many of your boxes.

I categorically was not saying that $1/2 million, & $3/4 million are close.
To be clear, there's a lot more I could say, but I'd be wasting bandwidth. Either you'll change & adapt, or you won't. And if so it'll be a big paradigm shift for certain.

PS: Catalina 30', & a canvas bathtub on deck, in the cockpit, or on the beach.

When I read the thread title I was excited because I thought the OP was interested in high latitude sailing and there would be some great ideas for expedition boats. Not the case. The OP is just a regular guy spinning a tropical paradise dream of his own flavor.

In the 1980's there was a saying "he with the most toys wins." and lots of YUPPIES blowing their money and vying for the top dog position. The OP's post and follow-on remind me of that go-go '80's mindset. He wants his toys and the trappings of his perceived ideas of what is "ideal" in a cat (not mono) of a certain size hull to create an environment that he believes will make him happy.

Adapting to reality doesn't fit here. I'm not poking fun at the OP. I have my OWN version of non-reality that my husband and I cooked up and that we're thoroughly enjoying: we travel aboard a large pre-WWII wooden hulled schooner with a lifestyle that not many would like--and that set up an odd assortment of boat requirements of our own. We love it. Adaptation is an important key to happiness. In order to have the bits that are important to us, we do without a lot of things that others voyaging far from home might demand to have aboard their vessel. We are happy and hope the OP will find his happiness as well.

To each their own, I say, and it is probably best to just remind the OP that life is short--it flies by--so we just need to get out there and do what we need to do to be happy.

"Do not wait for ideal circumstances, nor for the best opportunities; they will never come” said Sister Janet Erskine Stuart, a 19th Century nun and educator.

To the OP: Buy a boat within your budget and go sailing.
Old 30-03-2017, 12:11   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
When I read the thread title I was excited because I thought the OP was interested in high latitude sailing and there would be some great ideas for expedition boats. Not the case.
I'm sorry that I've disappointed you!

Quote:
The OP is just a regular guy spinning a tropical paradise dream of his own flavor.
And I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone's dream is a little different. Some are sailing on 26ft sailing boat, others - on 300ft power boat. I'm - somewhere in between, just by simple financial reasons. Not that if I had lots of money I would buy 300ft boat. But my dreams would be different for sure.

Quote:
Adapting to reality doesn't fit here. I'm not poking fun at the OP. I have my OWN version of non-reality that my husband and I cooked up and that we're thoroughly enjoying: we travel aboard a large pre-WWII wooden hulled schooner with a lifestyle that not many would like--and that set up an odd assortment of boat requirements of our own. We love it. Adaptation is an important key to happiness. In order to have the bits that are important to us, we do without a lot of things that others voyaging far from home might demand to have aboard their vessel. We are happy and hope the OP will find his happiness as well.
You see - you have your own version of dream, and I'm glad that you're enjoying it!

Quote:
To each their own, I say, and it is probably best to just remind the OP that life is short--it flies by--so we just need to get out there and do what we need to do to be happy.
I totally agree on this with you. But sometimes it takes time to realize what one REALLY wants. You see - 1.5 years ago I didn't even know that sailing world exists. Last year I've been learning about it, and became addicted to it. But, at this point, I'm not a sailor. I want travel on boat, but with comfort of my home (or, at least, with very basic features of home). I'm glad that my knowledge and skills giving me confidence that I will be able to do repair and maintenance of simple systems like engines, plumbing, refrigeration, electrical, fiberglass, metal work, paint. And for me, keeping these systems alive is also part of life, sometimes - enjoyment, sometimes - not so much. Repairs and maintenance - price for having these systems. Someone wants to pay this price, someone - not.

Quote:
"Do not wait for ideal circumstances, nor for the best opportunities; they will never come” said Sister Janet Erskine Stuart, a 19th Century nun and educator.
I also have to agree with this one. But it's so tempting - to come as close to " ideal circumstances" as possible! And very often - so hard to resist!

Quote:
To the OP: Buy a boat within your budget and go sailing.
Thanks for advise! I might be all wrong, but for now - I really hope to make few more little steps to "ideal circumstances" - at least to feel been a little closer to them ...or circumstances might change, that's another possibility.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:57   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

Then the thread should be rephrased as a way more adequate 'In Search of a Perfect Tropical Floating Condobar' and removed from the 'multihull' subcategory.

Unless he wants one hull for the condo and all the booze in the other hull.

Some form of coherence goes a long way. Posting or thinking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 23:00   #73

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Hello everyone, just adding my few drops of wisdom. We (Project Manaia) are running a 45ft catamaran that i would call expedition catamaran.
While the deck is open bridge deck, the center section can be opened for central access to the water mostly for ROV use but also for diving in rouher weather quite nice.
We do have a workshop forward in one of the hulls and during the next refit period that is now upcoming we will add a workspacemon pt side for computer and editing work and pt side will get a wet lab with constant seawater flow through a small aquarium setup.
She was a one of a kind boat always but i undertook a major refit when she was donated.
Boat specs and kore about our work on www.projectmanaia.at
Or on youtube, www.youtube.com/c/projectmanaia
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 04:42   #74

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Post deleted.

Good luck.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat