Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 04:29   #1

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer
Installing aftermarket options to older Cats

G’day all.

First I would like to wish every one of you a happy new year and safe cruising. Oh and thank you for contributing to such a wealth of information. Huge thumbs up.

So, my questions is:

I have seen in various threads that owners skip on installing various options when purchasing their boats in favour of installing them in their home port, especially when buying new. These being A/C, extra winches maybe, gennys etc, by doing this they generally save a pretty penny.

Can I ask what your experience has been when fitting say an aftermarket A/C to a cat? Is it cost prohibitive? Is it difficult? Is it worth it in a long run?

For me having some of these mod cons is essential in keeping Wifee comfy, and to be honest myself.

For some, including me. The lack of A/C, water maker or even a genny makes some of the charter boats less desirable, however their prices are more desirable. As most would agree, I would rather be out there sailing than sitting on land searching for that perfect boat, searching and wishing my time away.

Thank you in advance.

Apologies, was a few more questions than one....
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:56   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Installing aftermarket options to older Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_char View Post
G’day all.

First I would like to wish every one of you a happy new year and safe cruising. Oh and thank you for contributing to such a wealth of information. Huge thumbs up.

So, my questions is:

I have seen in various threads that owners skip on installing various options when purchasing their boats in favour of installing them in their home port, especially when buying new. These being A/C, extra winches maybe, gennys etc, by doing this they generally save a pretty penny.

Can I ask what your experience has been when fitting say an aftermarket A/C to a cat? Is it cost prohibitive? Is it difficult? Is it worth it in a long run?

For me having some of these mod cons is essential in keeping Wifee comfy, and to be honest myself.

For some, including me. The lack of A/C, water maker or even a genny makes some of the charter boats less desirable, however their prices are more desirable. As most would agree, I would rather be out there sailing than sitting on land searching for that perfect boat, searching and wishing my time away.

Thank you in advance.

Apologies, was a few more questions than one....
Hard to answer general questions about specific things. An example would be different ACs installed on different cats would determine how easy or hard it would be to install the AC. Not to mention that lots of folks simply buy cheap window shakers for a season (or more) and run them off a Honda 200 blocked up in the companion way.

Another consideration is something like a portable watermaker like the ones from Rainmaker would be trivial to buy and store somewhere where as installing a water maker below decks with new through hulls would be a tall order.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:27   #3

Cheers Tom,

I understand about the general question about specific things, this is why I went more specifically to the AC side of the question.

Have people installed an AC system to their cat similar to the OEM ones? With technical advances, aftermarket AC must be cheaper to run and be more affordable than the OEM ones.

Was looking at a more long term solution.

Cheers..
Old 02-01-2020, 15:15   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Cheers Tom,

I understand about the general question about specific things, this is why I went more specifically to the AC side of the question.

Have people installed an AC system to their cat similar to the OEM ones? With technical advances, aftermarket AC must be cheaper to run and be more affordable than the OEM ones.

Cheers..
Long term solution to what. I have seen an AC unit installed over a hatch in the owners cabin; like the ones in semi trucks (which are 12 volt units). This is easy to do, and if you wanna undo it is usually only a few fasteners some short wiring to wires in the owners cabin, and cleaning up calking. Other times there is a big central unit for both hulls and the salon with ducts to two of the three areas. Of course on some boats you could just let the AC in the salon go down into the hulls and eliminate the ducts.

With out knowing the boat, how much of the boat will get AC, and to some extent how the AC will be used (some folks only use it at night) your question lacks too many details to answer specifically.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 15:23   #5

Quote:
Cheers Tom,

Cheers..
Absolutely. I had 2 units installed on my Mahe 36 as well as a Nextgen generator after I bought it used. I am guessing the vast majority of Mahe's with AC had it done after market. The AC units are self contained so if you're confident with the electrical part it's definitely achievable as a DYI project, especially if you already have a throughhull to use, but it does involve a fair amount of boat yoga. I paid to have mine installed and am glad I did, but if I'd had the time I could just as well done them myself.
Generator is a bit more work because it involves fuel, cooling water, and wet exhaust with the required drop per foot, plus the unit is fairly heavy and usually goes in a pretty tight spot. That's I project I'd save up to have done professionally if you had to choose between the two to have enough for both projects.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 15:25   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Cheers Tom,

Cheers..
The "OEM" AC is the same ac you'd be looking at. The manufacturer just selects one if the common ones and puts it in. You'd do the same.

It's not like a car. A boat is a hull with a random assortment of stuff installed in it. You can install anything you want. All the marine AC units are the same.

I think you're over thinking it. Just look at the installation instructions and go for it.

It's exactly this difficult:

http://www.tropicalmarineairconditio...pdf/L-2168.pdf
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Absolutely. I had 2 units installed on my Mahe 36 as well as a Nextgen generator after I bought it used. I am guessing the vast majority of Mahe's with AC had it done after market. The AC units are self contained so if you're confident with the electrical part it's definitely achievable as a DYI project, especially if you already have a throughhull to use, but it does involve a fair amount of boat yoga. I paid to have mine installed and am glad I did, but if I'd had the time I could just as well done them myself.

Generator is a bit more work because it involves fuel, cooling water, and wet exhaust with the required drop per foot, plus the unit is fairly heavy and usually goes in a pretty tight spot. That's I project I'd save up to have done professionally if you had to choose between the two to have enough for both projects.

This is exactly what I’m trying to get at. Thank you for your reply.

I know that it is possible to fit an AC to your boat and have it hidden away like an OEM installation. I just wasn’t to sure if anyone has done it to an older cat. Say a Lagoon 410 or Leopard 43 like people have done with their new Mahe.

I saw on the Mahe thread that people were doing it, but after 10 pages couldn’t find if they were successful and was it cost prohibitive.

Has anyone here had luck with the lagoons or leopards? That is having AC fitted as per an OEM might have done as an option.
Old 02-01-2020, 18:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The "OEM" AC is the same ac you'd be looking at. The manufacturer just selects one if the common ones and puts it in. You'd do the same.

It's not like a car. A boat is a hull with a random assortment of stuff installed in it. You can install anything you want. All the marine AC units are the same.

I think you're over thinking it. Just look at the installation instructions and go for it.

I agree. Might be over thinking it. I have an aviation technical background so have spent my whole life working in small hard to access spaces and managed.
Old 02-01-2020, 18:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

This PDF is GOLD !!!! Thank you very much.

Perfect. Now to see who’s used these.