Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 11:20   #16

Re: Insurance for Catamaran

How is experience qualified and quantified? Isn’t it mostly self reported? Obviously someone who has grown up sailing isn’t going to take some sailing courses just to satisfy the insurance trolls.
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 11:38   #17

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
How is experience qualified and quantified? Isn’t it mostly self reported? Obviously someone who has grown up sailing isn’t going to take some sailing courses just to satisfy the insurance trolls.
My experience has been that insurance companies will not take proof of course completion alone. In our case it was the completion of a course, sailing resume, and a letter from a USCG Captain who was also a Catamaran sailing instructor stating that in his opinion both of use were qualified to operate a vessel up to 50 feet in length. I suspect that taking the Cat course was the least relevant of the three.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 11:44   #18

I have a friend who was looking for insurance. I saw another thread on CF and gave him the contact.
Highseaslowrates.com

Two days later he has insurance. He's very happy , said the guy was great and would not hesitate to recommend him.

Worth a try I suspect.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 12:46   #19

The topic is about catamarans, but is this the same for a monohaul? We're thinking to purchase a boat in about 2 years and then sail locally for 6 months before heading out to blue water. We'll pay cash for the boat. Is getting insurance on the actual boat with such limited experience impossible? Does anyone know if Canada is as expensive/strict?
cAmstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 05:16   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380

We just bought our first boat, Lagoon 380, and insurance was pretty easy. I shopped around, but USAA/Progressive was the best for us. I have my home, autos and RV with them already. We won't be leaving the US/Bahamas in the next 3 years so the 100 mile restriction wasn't a big deal. I was asked for experience which I click on for under a year. For training it was a yes/no. They never asked for proof, but I have 101, 103, 104, 105 and 106.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 17:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
We just bought our first boat, Lagoon 380, and insurance was pretty easy. I shopped around, but USAA/Progressive was the best for us. I have my home, autos and RV with them already. We won't be leaving the US/Bahamas in the next 3 years so the 100 mile restriction wasn't a big deal. I was asked for experience which I click on for under a year. For training it was a yes/no. They never asked for proof, but I have 101, 103, 104, 105 and 106.
I am in the same boat. Purchasing a Lagoon 380, closing in a few weeks. May I ask how much your insurance ended up costing? Thank you.
SeaBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 18:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBas View Post
I am in the same boat. Purchasing a Lagoon 380, closing in a few weeks. May I ask how much your insurance ended up costing? Thank you.
$2700 when I paid for the year in full. Might be high or low. Don’t know. I choose the easy button with my current insurance company.

Cheyne
Old 30-07-2021, 18:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
$2700 when I paid for the year in full. Might be high or low. Don’t know. I choose the easy button with my current insurance company.

Cheyne
Is that liability only?
I just got off the phone with USAA, got a quote of 12k for hull and liability and 870 for just liability.
Old 30-07-2021, 19:01   #24

Full coverage for my policy. I did go with the max deductible of $5000. I have $5k sitting in an investment account for that purpose. I doubt I would file a claim with them unless forced to. I haven’t ever made a claim on my auto, RV or home in the past 35 years.
Old 31-07-2021, 08:33   #25

Well that’s odd because I called progressive yesterday and was told they top out at 35’
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 08:40   #26

Hi, can you elaborate? Silly question, but does that mean they don’t insure over 35’?
cAmstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 08:55   #27

Quote:
Well that’s odd because I called progressive yesterday and was told they top out at 35’
I went through USAA which uses Progressive. They did the same for my RV. They did ask for the measurements.

Cheyne
Old 31-07-2021, 09:14   #28

Quote:
You’re right. Their limit is 50’, but it is reduced to 35 in hurricane prone zones. However, if you’re a USAA member, it stays at 50 even in hurricane prone zones.
Old 03-09-2021, 19:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Found a couple carriers I will be working with offering coverage for liveaboards, navigation into/throughout Bahamas, sail and power boats up to 160’. Looking forward to offering their coverages. Older boats req a survey which really isn’t a bad thing. Any questions or quotes email me at frank@spacecoastinsurance.com
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:27   #30

Boat: Catalina 30' (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
My experience has been that insurance companies will not take proof of course completion alone. In our case it was the completion of a course, sailing resume, and a letter from a USCG Captain who was also a Catamaran sailing instructor stating that in his opinion both of use were qualified to operate a vessel up to 50 feet in length. I suspect that taking the Cat course was the least relevant of the three.
You can also have the certified Captain sign a CG-719S form to verify your time at sea. Have the form with you and complete it before you part ways as well as it can be a challenge to try and contact previous Captains.
justakiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, insurance