Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 12:16   #76

Re: Introducing the St. Francis 50 mk II: Wayfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post
YES!

You got it my man. First thing I did was Google his name and his boat's name to see what the hay was going on. Lo an behold sequestered in the Bahamas having a good larf.

Irritted myself there slightly that I actually gave a concern for a total stranger on an internet forum who has since failed to "check in" in the two threads he created.

That and the promising of a full review of a custom built cat.
So if he popped back in and said the boat was great, and everything was wonderful, would you buy one?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:08   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

This bloke invented the internet, so I really think you should all cut him a little slack, abstract.profor is clearly a sock puppet of Al Gore and as a former Vice President he deserves some respect.

Seriously if I was St Francis I would be instructing solicitors about now. Not to say they are the perfect builder, but no one deserves to be shitpotted like this based on absolutely no evidence of any kind.

BTW I cancelled my order for a La ferrari today. The Scuderia failed to send me a free demo I could use for a month so I said stuff them, also James May from Top Gear, who owns one, has failed to post extensively about it, therefore its a piece of crap.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:19   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So if he popped back in and said the boat was great, and everything was wonderful, would you buy one?

No possibility at this late stage whatsoever. There is no rhyme or reason for breaking the continuity of this all. Particularly when Facebook and blogs are being updated. Oddly enough I originally sided with St Francis in the Paul saga, I took it as a one-off where poor Paul was just one of these bad luck characters. As mentioned the time line is thusly:

1. continuously in the market for a vessel
2. came across this beauty: 2013 Leopard 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
3. remembered this thread, thought to check up on the happy progress
4. startled at no update since October 2015
5. googled the name to see if alright (had me actually fearing he was lost)
6. find his blog updated merrily sitting the Bahamas having cocktails
7. conclusion drawn - case closed

Both Leopard and St Francis are in my hood. Purchase either way would be trivial. But now I am hell bent on the Leopard only. The chance for the other has gone.

What do you make of that sitting in the Seychelles. Out of all pictures of most all cats, that speaks to me like no other. In particular the back platform. Yes I am aware nay sayers mutter about being swamped in following seas.
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:03   #79

Wow, just wow.

And I thought my ex-girlfriend was the master of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:08   #80

Yeah it's my fault.

You asked I answered. Isn't that the courteous thing to do?

Perhaps I too should have fled this thread and left y'all hanging. Like your brethren.
Old 15-01-2016, 17:34   #81

So he's apparently happy on his blog, but because he hasn't updated this thread the boat is a POS?

That's a truly weird conclusion.

Feel free to leave the thread at any time. I doubt if anyone is going to base their boat buying decisions on your continued posting in it.

John McEnroe
Old 15-01-2016, 17:56   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So he's apparently happy on his blog, but because he hasn't updated this thread the boat is a POS?

...< snip >
Yup.

Glad you agree with me. All cannot be well despite the naïve childlike comments from others that the boat is A-OK and 'he's too busy enjoying it to bother returning to this thread'

When he can update his face book and blog and not here.

Makes sense.

How about this. I'll bet you your boat that his boat is riddled with numerous problems. In fact breaking apart as we speak? That squared settee, cracking, those USB outlets shorting...

You seem to be a bright feller?

Pray tell. For what reason does one not update a thread they create oozing enthusiasm for their build, up to a certain point the magically, nay mysteriously vanish POOOF - gone.

but.... do you hear that....

that's the sound of blogs and face books being updated.

But nothing here.

Go for it. Give it your best shot. Let me simplify for your:

1. man commissions boat
2. giddy with excitement as boat is built
3. giddy man with excitement with boat now built vanishes
4. did giddy man with excitement with boat building lose his giddiness once boat was built
5. boat built for giddy man with excitement exhausts giddiness and excitement from man who commissions boat

Try
Old 15-01-2016, 18:00   #83
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I hate to say it but I understand abstract.profor's concerns. Hugh starts this thread, got a lot of followers, built his boat up as being the new St. Francis cats ass, then disappeared. From what I can tell he hasn't logged on since the sea trials. I'm just speculating but either someone on CF pissed him of or the boat didn't live up to his expectations. Let's face it, his excitement over his new boat was contagious and if the boat lived up to his expectations, given his previous glowing posts, wouldn't he have concluded this thread with his praises for the builder and the outcome of the boat? Something is a little fishy.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 18:54   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
but either someone on CF pissed him of or the boat didn't live up to his expectations.
I will go with the former
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:00   #85

He's an author, specifically one who self publishes through the internet.

It makes perfect sense to me that he would want to keep all of his posts, both about his boat and his work, consolidated in the 2 outlets for his work and where most of his followers know to read up on him, his blog and his FB account. Posting on here as well would be more time consuming and possibly more bandwidth intensive - keep in mind this "change" in his posting habits coincides with the launch of his boat, so he's limited to whatever internet access he's getting via wifi or cellular.

Guessing that his boat is a POS based on the absence of posts on here is stretching the limits of credulity, and I'm very open minded.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:14   #86
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
He's an author, specifically one who self publishes through the internet.

It makes perfect sense to me that he would want to keep all of his posts, both about his boat and his work, consolidated in the 2 outlets for his work and where most of his followers know to read up on him, his blog and his FB account. Posting on here as well would be more time consuming and possibly more bandwidth intensive - keep in mind this "change" in his posting habits coincides with the launch of his boat, so he's limited to whatever internet access he's getting via wifi or cellular.

Guessing that his boat is a POS based on the absence of posts on here is stretching the limits of credulity, and I'm very open minded.

Posting on here would be less bandwidth intensive than the posts and piccies on his blog. Just seems strange to me after the big build up that he wouldn't pass his impressions on.

Old 15-01-2016, 19:53   #87

Either scenario is possible but if you follow the OP on Facebook you will clearly see he appears to be having the time of his life. If his boat is a mess it surely doesn't convey to the photos and videos he's posting. Hugh was unknown to me until his two threads here in the forum and to me it looks like he's in the grips of a midlife crisis so cut the guy some slack! Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 06:26   #88

It's obvious that the complainers here none have ever been cruising. I make all kinds of communication promises to my family and close friends. As soon as I am a few miles off shore, I forget about all of them. Hence the reason for going.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:27   #89
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
It's obvious that the complainers here none have ever been cruising. I make all kinds of communication promises to my family and close friends. As soon as I am a few miles off shore, I forget about all of them. Hence the reason for going.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Your right, but he's very active on his blog and Facebook. He's a writer and seemed to love writing about his boat. Seems strange to me but I hope he's having a blast and his boat is all he thought it was going to be.

Old 16-01-2016, 11:39   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I hate to say it but I understand abstract.profor's concerns. Hugh starts this thread, got a lot of followers, built his boat up as being the new St. Francis cats ass, then disappeared. From what I can tell he hasn't logged on since the sea trials. I'm just speculating but either someone on CF pissed him of or the boat didn't live up to his expectations. Let's face it, his excitement over his new boat was contagious and if the boat lived up to his expectations, given his previous glowing posts, wouldn't he have concluded this thread with his praises for the builder and the outcome of the boat? Something is a little fishy.

So does his blog say the boat is bad?

I have no problem at all understanding why someone would stop posting here. I've come close a few times.

I've had people here claim to know more about my boat than I do. Even though I built my boat, and they've never seen one.

I've had people here claim to know more about the weather I've been sailing in than I do. Even though I was there, and they weren't.

You post a video of your boat sailing here, and you get dickheads saying you've fiddled with the speed log, or (since it's not so easy to fiddle with GPS) there must have been tide with you, or the wind was stronger or in a different direction from the indicated.

Read through the thread about the Seawind 1160 lite, and you'll see the negativity some people keep injecting...

You're getting a new boat built, do you NEED that crap? Do you need or have the time to waste on wankers who, probably through sheer jealousy, constantly keep sniping at your choice of boat?

Sometimes it's more of a surprise that people KEEP posting here, than that they leave...

And if Hugh isn't happy with the boat why wouldn't his blog mention it?

And again, if he wasn't happy, why would he choose to talk about it here over anywhere else?

John McEnroe