Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29   #1

Boat: Leopard 48
Is feasible to buy a used Cat (40/44 feet) in great conditions for US 300K?

I am looking to buy a CAT until US $ 300.000 in cash. Ideally not from charters once I plan to live aboard with my family. The more options ( AC, watermaker, eletric whinch, etc...) the better.

Ideally from 2005....

Leopard, Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot *are my favorities.

Where: in the US south East or anywhere in the Caribbean.

Many thanks, Luciano
Griloboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Is feasible to buy a used Cat (40/44 feet) in great conditions for US 300K?

Absolutely. Take a look at brokerage listings.

I also suggest adding Privilege to that list. Rock solid build, good sailing performance, and quite a few on the used market.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51   #3

I would open up your search to include charter versions as there are many more to choose from. Non charter cats are scarce and usually carry a high premium in comparison to the charter cats. If the charter boats scare you then just look for one that is only a few years old. There are plenty of newer Lagoon 400's that you could definitely buy for $300k cash.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli
I would open up your search to include charter versions as there are many more to choose from. Non charter cats are scarce and usually carry a high premium in comparison to the charter cats. If the charter boats scare you then just look for one that is only a few years old. There are plenty of newer Lagoon 400's that you could definitely buy for $300k cash.
Tks. My concern is that I would have to buy a 250 k and use 50 K for upgrades.. Buying a Lagoon 40's at 300 K would mean more imvestments in eletronics, generator, etc, etc...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griloboat View Post
Tks. My concern is that I would have to buy a 250 k and use 50 K for upgrades.. Buying a Lagoon 40's at 300 K would mean more imvestments in eletronics, generator, etc, etc...
You would probably have to put money in a non charter boat as well. How can you expect the previous owner to have all the equipment you need? There are few true "turn key" boats.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

There is a really nice Leopard 40 3 cabin version never chartered. The ask on it is 309k.

PM if you want some more information
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

You could easily get hold of a Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40 and fit a host of upgrades for $300k total and end up with a very nice vessel.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:51   #8

God I'm so glad to read this thread. We too are hunting hunting for a cat in The same size/price range. I'm struggling with Lagoons bc I hate the "corner" galley. Leopards appear to have a better design there. Antares is by far my favorite layout, especially with the split level galley and more counter space to make a proper meal. We are wanting to live aboard so kitchen space is important to me. However, finding an Antares used/under 600K is proving near impossible. Leopard was the best compromise I could find but I'm happy to hear about the Privileges. Didn't know if their quality was good.

I too prefer the owners versions and not 4 berth charters. Sigh!

Always reading, always learning from all you wonderfully wise sailors! Thanks!

~Danielle
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 21:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Welcome aboard!

The thing is owners versions are rarer, command a higher price and if the previous owner put all those things in that you want the price is likely even higher.

Probably no such thing as a free lunch. Start at $250 and leave room for mods. Then the mods stuff is all new. That is sorta where I am headed.

PS - And I might get slammed for this - Some owners (with money) have had extensive one-off systems installed. Depending on the systems and installations these can be a boon or a nightmare.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 02:43   #10

Just the other day I purviewed various listings for cats <$300K. In fact, I was surprised by the number of listings of 40-47' cats, many around mid-$200K or slightly less. I won't be ready to buy until next year but I would be all over Gary's Mayotte down in Panama.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 18:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid
God I'm so glad to read this thread. We too are hunting hunting for a cat in The same size/price range. I'm struggling with Lagoons bc I hate the "corner" galley. Leopards appear to have a better design there. Antares is by far my favorite layout, especially with the split level galley and more counter space to make a proper meal. We are wanting to live aboard so kitchen space is important to me. However, finding an Antares used/under 600K is proving near impossible. Leopard was the best compromise I could find but I'm happy to hear about the Privileges. Didn't know if their quality was good.

I too prefer the owners versions and not 4 berth charters. Sigh!

Always reading, always learning from all you wonderfully wise sailors! Thanks!

~Danielle
The problem is when you are at 300 K you also look for the 400's K as well... And it goes, and goes,.... I was one week in a F. Pajout Orana 44 and I liked it a lot ! A used one I could find a 2007 for 300 K , but would have to spend another 50 K in eletronics, safety, generator, etc.... I am even not sure if 50 K would be enough... But anyway, I think my plan B is to get a 300k good one and have 50K as a contigency..
Old 13-09-2012, 21:23   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Keep in mind too that all those additional goodies are not actually necessary. Nice, but not necessary. And, you could spread them out over a few seasons, if that is any help in your financial situation -- for example, pay for them as you have income available rather than out of the piggy bank right up front.

...but then of course a 40+ foot catamaran is not exactly a necessity either...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 21:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

belizesailor, you need some serious education my friend

You need to understand the difference between WANT and NEED
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 21:36   #14

Quote:
So negotiate and buy for $250k. Can't hurt to make some offers.
Old 20-09-2012, 05:21   #15

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

Hi, This is Gary in Panama that Richard5 refered to above with the 47 Mayotte Voyage. She is still available, but have a very interested person coming next week to do sea trials. If you are interested, please send me a private email at garyswenson@hotmail.com asap and we can discuss. Also you could send your phone number and I can call you. If you put Mayotte in the seach window on this site you can open my thread with info on my cat.
Gary
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote