Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2007, 13:40   #31

Boat: 41' Formosa Ketch
you're right, the bows do look different!

you are also right that i should quit screwin' around on this one...

we are going out of town mid week to visit some family in the midwest - so this process might take a little longer than it might seem necessary. fortunately the owners are very nice people, and seem very willing to work with us.

further bulletins as events warrant
-d
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 13:34   #32

Boat: 52' BeauBien Catamaran
Nottingham

Here is a photo of another Nottingham on Puget Sound. I believe this one is named Tulip.

allnunstoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 18:19   #33

Boat: 41' Formosa Ketch
(finally) an update!

ok - so a lot has happened since i last posted...

we drove around the entire seattle area, looking for a single place to dock that trimaran. needless to say, we couldn't find one. this just isn't the area for such a boat, there aren't many around, and as such, the marinas simply don't have a big supply of slips (most places we'd have to wait for an endcap, and i was quoted 10 - 15 year waits on average).

so, we told the owners we couldn't buy it, and they've moved on to florida. the boat was pulled out of the water, and is being stored at Dagmars in Everett. they even lowered their price significantly, but it was never the price that was the problem for us...

so on that front - if any of you are interested in this boat, i can get your their email and you can contact them.

we've started looking at monohulls (not such a bad thing - that tri wouldn't have been much faster with the weight we'd have on board, and we'll get a lot more options for places to dock)

i've got a whole other host of questions about another boat we're looking at now - but i'll start posting those to the monohull forum.

thanks for all your input - i'll see ya's over in the monohull section!
-d
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 18:49   #34

Boat: Searunner 31
Back again?

Looks like this handsome Piver found an interim home in Shelton and is now again on the market.

Boat for Sale or Trade

By the way, I gather that Swantown Marina in Olympia might have slips available on a short waitlist. We were on the list for 2-3 months and then got 3 openings in as many weeks. They also have a couple of new docks coming next year...

There are a number of older tris in the South Sound at small (meaning shallow) marinas and on private moorings in protected coves.
Old 13-02-2009, 00:39   #35

i am the current owner of this tri

you guy have been so helpfull . the boat is a wood epoxy center hull and plywood glased over on the outer hulls .the rutter has been moved way forward from the others i have seen . she also has a 6ft drop keel that seem to work well . can any one help with info on nottingham ship yard info ? mabe a place to haul it out cheep so i can get to work on it ? thanks guys
carlhunguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 10:16   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Art Piver

FWIW,

Art Piver was an interesting chap, and certainly was instrumental in the early days of popular multihulls. He had a sort of cult following in the Sausalito area in the late 60's and early 70's (can't remember the exact dates), including a few who believed for years that he didn't really perish while sailing one of his 25' designs. They had the faith... he was alive and well somewhere in Mexico... or was it Guatemala??

At any rate, he wrote three little books about his early designs and his adventures sailing them. Pretty amusing, they were, and in them he bemoaned the huge number of unauthorized "Pivers" that were being built by folks who had not paid his fees. He also had VERY caustic comments about the builders who deviated from his designs. His feeling was that none of the modifications that he had seen were improvements, and that many were disasters.

So, if looking at boats deemed to be "Pivers", one should certainly be a bit carefull!!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 13:55   #37

has anny body else been able to find and more info on this subject? iv been looking hard and still cant find anything on her . im also lookin to pull her out of the water soon any afordable yards that will take a tri with 22ft beam?thanks guys for the help i have gotten . e mail me at carlhunguss@hotmail.com or if your local call 360 485 3013 thanks
Old 30-11-2009, 06:07   #38

Boat: Careel 22
G'day mates,

Here are a couple of pictures of a 40' Loadstar with aft cabin that I'm interested in but I'm still working on the boss, she's harder to shift than a Centurian tank...The boss that is

I believe this is a NZ or Aussie built 40' Loadstar, it would suit me right down to the deck if I can convince the wife If she were mine, I believe I would remove that aft mast...I'd have enough on my plate looking after the main mast and jib Still, she would suit me just fine...I believe

Can anyone tell me if these Loadstars can be beached/set on the sand on an even keel? From the Tri's I've looked at, most would lay well over to port or sb if set on the sand.
Old 30-11-2009, 13:27   #39

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
I never knew this thread existed.
IIRC -
The Piver Nimble was 30' loa with a clipper bow.
The Piver Lodestar was 35' with a clipper bow.
Both versions were later stretched by Piver, the Nimble becoming the AA32 with a conventional bow and the Lodestar becoming the AA36, also with a conventional bow.
The Victress was 40' loa but due to CRS I can't remember the bow shape.
There was also a 28' called a Nugget (not sure about that name) as well as other designs.
There were a huge number of variations in the home constructed versions.
Most of the Lodestars I saw had aft cabins but the AA36s did not. Improvisation was the order of the day, especially since Piver's plans could be a little, um, eccentric. Ever try to put a 6' long settee and a 5' long galley area into a 10&1/2' space?
Hope this helps.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 15:20   #40

Location: Currently in South Haven Mi hopping to soon be in a warmer climite.
Boat: 17ft runabout my boat 2
Send a message via Yahoo to gunslinger9729
I am looking at a Piver too but it is only 30 ft. I only need that much room since theres only me for now. The one I am looking at has the same outboard well in the back as well as the same kind of cockpit but with a wheel for steering. I am really excited about the one I am trying to get even though it needs some work like these guys are talking about but it has enough room for my needs.
gunslinger9729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 08:18   #41

in regards to the boat that stared this tread it is now free just the hull will be left . it is located in shelton wa 360 485 3013
Old 28-03-2010, 12:47   #42

Thats too bad because it looked like a very pretty boat. I still think it is a Piver but thats jmo.
Old 28-03-2010, 12:48   #43

Unfortunitly the 1 I was looking at didnt work but I am still trying. Maybe the next one will pan out.
Old 27-10-2010, 14:25   #44

Better late than never Nottingham (1971)

Hi Gentlemen,

I just bought the boat this entire thread has been talking about. She is sorely, and I mean SORELY abused. I bought her for 1600.00 today. She is in Shelton and I'm sailing her up (well motoring since she has no mast amoung many other missing things including her entire interior) to Port Angeles week after next.

I would like to chat with many of the people on this thread who knew her or previously owned her when she was prime to get ideas on how to bring her back. She's structurally sound still despite 2 soft spots that are easily fixed.

I really like the idea of putting the extra berth on the back since her inboard motor is long gone anyway. She's motoring on a 20 HP outboard now. Most of the top of the main cabin has been cut off as well where someone thought they would raise the roof.

I look at the previous pictures of her here on this thread and the link on myspace and just want to cry having to look at her now.

"We can rebuild her, we have the technology..." For those of you old enough to remember the Six Million Dollar Man. LOL

Pamela
snowyegret222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 17:48   #45

Re: Is This A Piver ?

We are going to sell our 1971 Nottingham Trimaran 40. We just don't have the time to restore her although I think she would make a great restoration project. We are selling her for 2000.00 dollars if anyone is interested in buying her. Calll 360-775-4448
snowyegret222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piver