Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Isara 50... :(

So.. one of the Cats I was really looking forward to seeing at Miami is the Isara 50... I've been communicating with the Isara rep.. and he had this to say..

"We got the boat to the show just in time by the skin of our teeth and had to make a decision to exhibit it without the mast, as it has not arrived yet!"

So... I'm really quite disappointed. I certainly wouldn't be able to decide if Isara is a viable option without seeing the rigging... It was bad enough that we were only looking at the 50 to get an idea of what their 45 is going to look like.. but now.. no mast or rigging... that's one of the most important parts of the boat...

anyway.. no question here.. just whining...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Isara 50... :(

So are they going to market it as the Isara 50 power cat at the show now?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Show are they going to market it as the Isara 50 power cat at the show now?

I don't think so.. I believe their plan is to show it as a sailing Cat, without the mast....
Old 07-02-2014, 15:53   #4

shame its not complete but i've seen the rig on the 50 in Annapolis and I can tell you its fantastic, painted custom mast, it was head and shoulders above the rest.

I've have been waiting to see this one as its the owners version i believe. I've been trying to find a second hand one but i don't think there are any around right now, i tried the Annapolis dealer Bay Yacht but they just tried selling me a Fountain Pajot and didn't seem interested in helping at all.

Who are you speaking to please scarlet, can you recommend them? I've spoken to Isara and they were helpful but i'd like an independant view before i jump in...
leski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 18:33   #5

Graham Stimson.. from "Worldwide Catamarans"... I'm not going to recommend him.. only because I don't have a relationship with him... just a few emails back and forth...
Old 08-02-2014, 20:21   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

One has to wonder how the boat made it from Taiwan to Miami without a mast. Dockwise? Kaching!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dockwise.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	75548  
Old 09-02-2014, 22:48   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Scarlet,

I have no doubt its a very bright and shiney vessel with all the extras.

You have got to look behind all the fancy stuff for good reliable systems.
Do they make provision for at least 750kw solar as standard is a good check if it has been designed as a liveaboard. Now doubt they will do that as an add on but these days adequate solar should be standard.

How bulletproof is the anchor system, the electrics, rudder systems, the sail plan.

The Alpha 42 thread illustrates what can happen if these are not properly sorted.

I would be watching the existing vessels in the water to see how they hold up before rushing in. One in hard charter is often a good test.

Caution. I hope they will prove bulletproof but I have not seen enough of they to judge that yet. I certainly would not recommend being the guinea pig for a new vessel.

All vessels are compromise.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

750KW of solar???? Are you planning to run a welding business off it?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:37   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
750KW of solar???? Are you planning to run a welding business off it?

Mark
Yeah Watts not KW
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:38   #10

downunder...This is where we need the most of our education... what we need as far as equipment. I think that's going to come from spending alot of time on boats, and talking to fine folks like you..
Old 10-02-2014, 19:58   #11

I have to say I looked through the annapolis boat show isara pretty thoroughly. I was not impressed with the quality of the build. It looked good, but I noticed access to mechanicals in the floor board was very tight, stepping down into each hull the arch above your head is a triangular structure with the point facing your head. I also noticed the cabinets were pretty cheap feeling with really poor slides on the drawers.

As for the design, I don't really like the curved stern between the hulls. While providing more space,it does mean the dinghy will be hanging out too far, especially in following seas.

I think they were working on a gen 2 so maybe some of these items have been corrected.
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:25   #12

For what it's worth, graham stimpson used to sell fountaine pajot catamarans and I bought a lavezzi 40 through him in 2004.
He has obviously been in the business along time and knowers what he is talking about, I found him to be very trustworthy and honest and I would certainly would not hesitate to buy through him again.
jenkolav40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 11:22   #13

I just thought I would post a follow up to my question. I had the opportunity to go on the Isara 50 at the MIA Boat Show.. We had been anxious to look at it. We knew the 50 would be too big for us.. but, we wanted to see their build, because the 45 was on our short list...

After seeing it at the show, we have officially taken it off our list. I can't put my finger on it.. but it just wasn't for us. It just seemed GROSSLY overpriced. I do understand they have lots of nice features.. (such as solid wood floors rather than laminent) but.. it just didn't blow our socks off.. it was terribly UNremarkable...
Old 19-02-2014, 11:33   #14

Boat: Leopard 40

Our friends spent a lot of time on the Isara trying to figure out how the 45 would feel but like you, we weren't that taken by it. The architectural style was kind of interesting but the boat felt cold and not very inviting to be on. Teak is beautiful but HOT. There was a lot of hallway but very little closet or storage and the helm felt inaccessible. I understand the 45 is set up differently and much can be customized so maybe it was just this particular owners asthetic I didn't like. Lots of big open spaces with nothing to hold onto in any seas. It was well made and the lines were nice but not for us ( well never really was) but our friends reconsidered. I think all of us liked the Antares best but it is an awful lot of money.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 20:46   #15

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I just thought I would post a follow up to my question. I had the opportunity to go on the Isara 50 at the MIA Boat Show.. We had been anxious to look at it. We knew the 50 would be too big for us.. but, we wanted to see their build, because the 45 was on our short list...

After seeing it at the show, we have officially taken it off our list. I can't put my finger on it.. but it just wasn't for us. It just seemed GROSSLY overpriced. I do understand they have lots of nice features.. (such as solid wood floors rather than laminent) but.. it just didn't blow our socks off.. it was terribly UNremarkable...
Hi Scarlet, can you elaborate on what you didn't like further ??
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote