Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 12:17   #136

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
The through hull on the Helia was above the water line. Below waterline is solid glass. Does the ITA have solid glass below the waterline?, it seems not from the commentary. This could mean even a modest grounding/ anchor chain mishap, etc could open the core to seawater?
Yes, ITA carries the core material below the waterline. So fair point here. It would be interesting to get the perspective of the designer and builder on this topic. I will reach out to both and ask them to respond.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:54   #137
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I’m surprised FP has gone to a balsa core.
The ITA looks great!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 13:37   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m surprised FP has gone to a balsa core.
The ITA looks great!
I did a factory tour of the La Rochelle FP factory 1 1/2 years ago and the manager there stated that they would use balsa in both the hull and deck if they could. He indicated that they only used foam in the decks because they were required to by CE. They are very high on balsa core and believe that their approach to infusion will significantly limit water intrusion into the balsa.

Gary
Old 06-03-2018, 14:11   #139
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
Not sure where you are coming from regarding your comment
Not sure how this is relevant to the discussion but I like the way you pronounce "outremer". ok I just had a look at your 45(X) video, seems right. A few thoughts:
- I do not see anything wrong with sandwich below WL
- The trough hull in in the link you posted is so wrong it would deserve it's own thread, below or above WL (sorry bean counter, fellow lagoon owner, I have to disagree with you here, as above)
- I am searching for a 3rd thought to prove you wrong .. I'll come back tomorrow !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 14:25   #140

Quote:
The through hull on the Helia was above the water line. Below waterline is solid glass. Does the ITA have solid glass below the waterline?, it seems not from the commentary. This could mean even a modest grounding/ anchor chain mishap, etc could open the core to seawater?
Even if a through hull is above the water line, it should be decored.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:42   #141
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The ITA hull bottoms are 100% cored since both hull halves are molded at the same time, along with bridgedeck.

To my knowledge the majority of multihull builders will have a solid laminate at the bottom of the hulls for laying-up the outer hull to the inner hull, which produces a monolithic width of approx +/- 20 cm.

Builders often state their hulls are solid below the waterline, but best to ask your builder if that means the entire hull below waterline or the bottom of the hulls. Maybe the current Outremer hulls are entirely monolithic below the waterline? I do know earlier generation Outremer hulls (like your O55 BB) were a solid laminate, below AND above the waterline.

But will a modest grounding penetrate a cored hull? Define modest? Define grounding? No doubt a monolithic hull should sustain less damage than one that's cored. One solution for additional protection would be a layer of Kevlar or Twaron when laminating the outer skin.

As far anchor chain puncturing the hull?

Having been involved in hundreds of surveys of composite boats, core migration is a problem maybe 30% to 40% of the time. Sometimes detected in hulls and often on decks. Sometimes all that's required is re-bedding but sometimes it's not if delamination is detected.

While saildrives and seawater intakes are mounted in the monolithic hull center-line (where the two hull halves are glassed together), it's thru hulls above the waterline I see most hull core moisture damage in areas such as exhaust flanges, water discharge from aircon, and portholes or rubrails.

On decks, it's mostly around deck hatch frames (or hatch frame screws), padeyes, winch pads, rope clutches, sometimes stanchion bases (screws) or where an owner has not installed additional hardware correctly.

How often do owners re-bed hull and deck fittings? Some owners never do! If your boat is older it's not a bad idea (IMO) to own a moisture meter to run around your deck twice a year or on your hull when on the hard. The cost of a moisture meter could very well save expensive yard bills!
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 22:55   #142

Boat: Hanse 348

OK. Just read this entire thread. Boat looks great. Have they taken any orders on them yet? It is the market that determines success. I realize it hasn't been at its introductory show, but has ita announced deposits etc.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:05   #143

The factory has released a new video of Hull No. 1 getting close to completion. You can see this on their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/itacatamarans/

Gary
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55   #144

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

I wish they were going to be a LGM.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbonder View Post
I wish they were going to be a LGM.
Totally agree. But it would be a pretty train trip from Montpellier to Italy, Fano! And, BTW, it is only 100 euro for the trip with an overnight in Milan.

And worth the trip I might add.

Gary
Old 23-03-2018, 16:05   #146

Pictures from today on Hull No. 1, major milestone with the deck joined to the hull. More photos and videos on the manufacturer's facebook page.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck is on.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	166905  
Old 27-03-2018, 12:37   #147

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

ITA Facebook page says they will be at la Grand Motte. Looking forward to seeing the boat if it makes it.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:09   #148
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbonder View Post
ITA Facebook page says they will be at la Grand Motte. Looking forward to seeing the boat if it makes it.
ITA will be at LGM with a booth, not a boat. Nr.1 scheduled to launch early May and will for sure debut at Cannes Yachting Festival in September.
Old 28-03-2018, 03:58   #149

First question people will ask at the booth - how much? I guess they haven't finished the boat yet so haven't added up all the costs - gotta be north of $1.5m ?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 05:32   #150
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
First question people will ask at the booth - how much? I guess they haven't finished the boat yet so haven't added up all the costs - gotta be north of $1.5m ?
At current exchange rates South by 10% to 15% equipped "soup to nuts" with 5% spread being carbon rig.