Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27   #61

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: ITA 14.99

For everyone who is following the progress of the ITA 14.99, construction of Hull No. 1 is well underway. The Manufacturer has been posting construction pictures on Facebook, I encourage you to follow them there.

Hull No. 1 will be launched in early 2018 and the world premier will be at the International Multihull show in April.

I continue to be very impressed with the overall approach to the build and the attention to details the factory has on the mold design and layup. Check out the photos on FB.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 19:46   #62

I had the opportunity to attend the US Boat Show in Annapolis a few weeks ago. Spent a lot of time on the following boats:

- The new Fountain Pajot 47
- The new Leopard 45
- Balance 451 and 526
- HH 55 and 66
- Antares 44i
- Outremer 5x

Also spent some time talking to the Seawind guys about the new 1600.

Didn't go on the Lagoons as I have already spent time on the 42 and 450S. I am posting a video on my youtube channel "iliohale Productions" in the next few days with my thoughts on all these boats. There are plenty of videos already up that cover these boats. Also, suggest that you subscribe to Wiley Sharp's channel, he has a very good perspective on cats in general. His top five picks from the show are as follows:
5) Nautitech Open 46
4) Outremer 5X
3) Anatares 44i
2) Fountaine Pajot Saona 47
1) HH 55 Carbon Catamaran

We came out of the show with the ITA 14.99 still at the top of our list and we will continue to evaluate it and plan to see and sail on Hull #1 when available early next year before making a final decision. Here is why the ITA is still our number 1 choice:

1.) Good sailing performance remains a higher priority for us as compared to most buyers. Look, the FP 47 wins on overall comfort features for the boats we have seriously considered, but lack of real options on the sail plan, weight, running rigging set up, and likely sailing performance (haven't sailed one yet) are not worth it to us. Then on the other side of the scale you have the HH boats which are just crazy mad sailing machines with some nice comfort features. But there is no way I can afford $1.6M US for the 48 or $3M US for the 55. So here, I believe the ITA is a good compromise on the performance price front. Light, sensible and flexible sail plan, an inventive running rigging set up. I would put the ITA in the same class as the Balance and Outremer boats. It may actually be an even better performer, we will have to wait and see. But based on the polars that I have seen, I can't wait to go sailing on it.
2.) Comfort of the ITA, while not at the same level as the FP 47, is still going to be great. Plenty of ability to carry gear and comfort items, nice sensible well designed and appealing interior, plenty of outdoor spaces to lounge, great visibility everywhere, great helm and nav station locations, and so on. Personally between the Outremer 51, Balance 52, and ITA, we have given the edge to the ITA on the comfort front. But again, we have to wait to actually see Hull #1 to be sure.
3.) Price and value. The ITA will be slightly more than the FP 47 out the door and cruising but this will include North 3Di sails, a bigger sail inventory, and a much better performing boat. It will have a much smaller genset then the FP with more solar generation, and some small comfort compromises. Compared to HH, Outremer, and Balance, the ITA is right in the ball park and in some ways a better value given the performance of the factory and attention to the overall construction quality of the boat.

I believe that the ITA will compete very well with Balance and Outremer because overall I believe it does a really great job of balancing the compromises between price/value & comfort/safety & performance. Hits the sweet spot for us so far. Can't wait to see hull #1.

Gary
Old 19-10-2017, 07:34   #63

Boat: PT-11

I can't get behind anybody who would put the Antares ahead of an Outremer 5X. They are, like many boats in Sharp's list, apples to oranges.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 08:14   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I can't get behind anybody who would put the Antares ahead of an Outremer 5X. They are, like many boats in Sharp's list, apples to oranges.
Personally I agree with you but I can understand where Wiley is coming from. Look, Antares does a great job on the build quality of the boat and the owners of these boats just love them. But it is way too heavy and slow for my taste. A very old design in the evolution of catamarans.

BTW, ITA just posted new photos of Hull #1 on their FB page. Check it out. Is there anything better than awesome looking bows on a performance cat?

Gary
Old 19-10-2017, 08:37   #65
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
Is there anything better than awesome looking bows on a performance cat?
Just saw them, and yes they look awesome.

I'm curious to know what the true, loaded, on-the-water price will be. I guess you are going to touch €1m.

My favourite boat out there is still the Balance 526. I love the swinging helm, so you can pilot in crappy weather without the bimini on the coachroof. However, the Alibi 54 is a close second for its gorgeous looks.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ITA looks amazing, just until I see one in the flesh, rather than the computer renderings I'm going to reserve judgement.
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 08:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
Just saw them, and yes they look awesome.

I'm curious to know what the true, loaded, on-the-water price will be. I guess you are going to touch €1m.

My favourite boat out there is still the Balance 526. I love the swinging helm, so you can pilot in crappy weather without the bimini on the coachroof. However, the Alibi 54 is a close second for its gorgeous looks.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ITA looks amazing, just until I see one in the flesh, rather than the computer renderings I'm going to reserve judgement.
Hi gbr,

Out the door, cruise equipped with a really good set of 3Di and downwind sails, yep pretty close to 1M. We spent a lot of time on the Balance 526 and there was a lot to like. The helm set up was one of the features I liked. We will have to wait and see how well the ITA helm locations work. They also are able to swing inboard but I don't yet know what that means in terms of visibility and protection from crappy weather.

I thought I heard that Alibi has closed up shop but not certain of this.

Gary
Old 19-10-2017, 10:09   #67
gbr

Unhappy Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I thought I heard that Alibi has closed up shop but not certain of this.
Unfortunately you heard correctly - Doesn't mean there isn't a 2nd hand one floating about!
Old 19-10-2017, 11:40   #68

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

I don't get, why it doesn't even have a real traveller, if it is supposed to be a performance-cruiser.

Also the fact, that the winches seem to be very hard to reach from the helm is a real turnoff for me.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 12:10   #69
gbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
I don't get, why it doesn't even have a real traveller, if it is supposed to be a performance-cruiser.

Also the fact, that the winches seem to be very hard to reach from the helm is a real turnoff for me.

Paul
Which boat are we talking here? The ITA (the thread title) or (my apologies) the last boat mentioned, the Alibi?

Edit: I guess it is the ITA because the Alibi has a traveller
Old 19-10-2017, 13:36   #70

I too spent a lot of time on the Balance 52 and the Outremer 51 (last year) and would not put those two boats in the same class in terms of fit and finish.

It would be interesting to see the actual sail-away prices on the boats mentioned. My best guess is:

FP $800K?
Outremer 51 $900K-$1.1M
ITA $1M+
Balance $1.2-$1.4M

I also find it interesting that most of us equate "comfort" with volume ... so is the HH48 comfortable? ... I guess we will have to wait and see.

Regarding helm position - this tends to be a very sensitive subject. I have found that how and where you actually end up using your boat has a lot to do with how wonderful the helm set up is.

BTW, nice write up Gary
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:08   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post

Paul
Actually there are a number of multihulls, both race and cruise designs using a dual mainsheet system, it's a system that's been around for ages. Regarding performance cruisers, two that come to mind would be Catana (for decades) and a few Gun Boat owners.

The windward mainsheet acts as the traveler (boom position) and leeward mainsheet for twist. If you've been accustomed to a traveler all your life, yes it takes a few hours to get the hang of it (at least it did for me).

No rope clutches to forget to open or close and no preventer required. And if on a broad reach or run, simply unshackle leeward sheet (3:1 or 4:1 purchase) and move outboard to a padeye (no vang required). And no snubber needed to keep the boom from swinging at anchor that some (like me) find annoying.

As far as helm location, yes it does mean one must move 2 or 3 steps to trim headsail & leeward mainsheet and walk all the way over to the opposite helm when tacking. But if mobility is a problem Harken 24V Rewind winches are always an option.

What dual aft helm locations do provide is total visibility under sail and power, direct linkage to rudders for better helm feedback and fun sailing.

And moving to the windward helm in heavy seas allows the helmsman to be more proactive in counter steering. Do you get wet when it rains, absolutely and cold too, but autopilots don't seem to mind.
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:34   #72

Not to derail the discussion from the ITA Boat ... I concur with Catmancan2's description of the benefits of dual mainsheets on a cat. They would be a pain and very frustrating in a tacking duel if you are racing around the cans on the weekend but on a performance cruising cat they are WONDERFUL, especially for shorthanded crews. Friends of mine that sailed with us to the bahamas did not like our dual mainsheets at first but after a day they were sold. And if you combine dual mainsheets with a center cockpit (e.g. gunboat) you do not get wet or cold ... but you do get a crick in your neck looking up through the coachroof at the sails ...
Old 20-10-2017, 09:56   #73
gbr

I was going to start a separate thread asking about the benefits of the dual mainsheet system, but @catmandu & @catmancat2 have answered them very well. Would love to hear other opinions.

@catmandu
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu
I too spent a lot of time on the Balance 52 and the Outremer 51 (last year) and would not put those two boats in the same class in terms of fit and finish.
I assume you mean that The Balance & Outremer were better than things like the FP & Lagoon etc. If the other way, then I'd better looking again!

Thanks

D.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:01   #74

FWIW, I was trying to say that IMHO the fit, finish, components used in the build and the "general overall feeling of of build quality" of the Balance exceeded that of the Outremer.

I did not even consider FP or Lagoon in that statement. They are a different class of boat for a different market.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:04   #75
gbr

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
FWIW, I was trying to say that IMHO the fit, finish, components used in the build and the "general overall feeling of of build quality" of the Balance exceeded that of the Outremer.

I did not even consider FP or Lagoon in that statement. They are a different class of boat for a different market.