Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29   #121

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
Am I missing something?

A deviation of approx. 33% is in the ball park

Rob
The volume estimate of each hull is based on a big assumption that has a significant impact on the final number. So yes, I think the 33% gap is in the ball park. Let's wait for a response from the builder to get the real hull volume calculations.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:35   #122

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmancan2 View Post
Yes, when beating to weather in certain sea states a U forefoot will pound less than a flat forefoot and a V forefoot will pound less the a U forefoot. I don't know if using an IOR design is a good comp, but I get your point. But there are ways to mitigate such pounding due to hull design and sail management.

The current hull designs with wave-piercing bows are intended to power thru waves as opposed to a U forefoot riding on top of waves. And for sure the less weight forward of the mast the better (for any hull shape). The ITA transitions from a V bow stem to a U forefoot before broadening out to a flatter planning hull shape forward of the hull rocker (which is also reduced in depth).

Of course there are times when any sailboat hull shape will pound giving the right (or is it wrong) conditions and as you know that's when a prudent sailor simply takes his foot off of the gas pedal and reef down which is a lot less stress on crew and boat.

The ITA sailplan is fairly comparable with other similar sized performance cruising catamaran designs with a 91m² main and 49m² self-tacking Solent. And the sail management system was designed for single-handing (really). This isn't our first attempt with this type of design since the design team, the build team, and myself were involved in a previous 14.30m project of which 3 were built. So the ITA will benefit from what has been learned and looking forward to nr.1 hitting the water next March. Only time will tell.

Did you follow the ARC Rally? See how well a sistership to yours did?

That’s a lot more sail area than our 55/16.5 m cat - 80m for the main and 35m for the self-tacking solent. But if you want to carry more load you will need the sail area.

Regarding the ARC, it’s interesting but really is so dependent on crewing that it doesn’t say too much about the boats themselves. Especially when manufacturers load up a crack crew and sail wardrobe to show how fast their boats are. Much more relevant is the daily run used for passage planning - now that is a real world cruising metric.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 07:42   #123

Boat: Catalina 42

I know this is an ITA thread, and the boat looks awesome, but the new Seawind 1600 seems fairly similar and is also brand new. Just bumped into the video below. I'm surprised by what looks like low bridge deck clearance. I also can't seem to get a fix on pricing. Overall, I like the ITA styling and layout better, but then everything tends to look better when I'm looking at renderings.

SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:27   #124
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post

So if the ITA guys really have a 10:1 L/B ratio hull that has immersion/displacement rate of 480kg/cm and can still perform then that would be a really BIG differentiator..
They have also been able to bend the laws of physics
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 05:38   #125
Marine Service Provider

I saw this link on FB today with photos of the ITA 14.99 chain plate Composite Chainplate Illustrated | Multihull Design Blog
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 19:05   #126

I had the opportunity to visit the ITA factory in November and to see the progress on Hull No. 1. You can read my notes here in this forum (see post #92 and #95).

I just uploaded a video on my visit to the ITA factory in Fano Italy. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/YLwyo5eLPJg

You can see all of my videos by subscribing to "iliohale Productions" Thanks

Gary
Old 12-02-2018, 10:53   #127

Gary,

Appreciate all of the detail and updates. Very exciting project.

Do you have any information about the electrical system? e.g. is it 12V 24V? Solar? gen? etc.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:07   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
Gary,

Appreciate all of the detail and updates. Very exciting project.

Do you have any information about the electrical system? e.g. is it 12V 24V? Solar? gen? etc.
24V and yes and yes. The boat will be available in two configurations, hybrid electric drives and diesel. Lithium batteries are standard on both I believe. There are standard options for solar and a lot of flexibility on the genset. For example you can pick your preference beyond the standard option and have the factory install it for you. The ITA is a semi-custom boat and the factory/dealer is willing to work with you to meet your requirements. Also, if I recall digital switching is included in the standard boat. The factory/dealer can provide with you all the details and drawings.

Gary
Old 06-03-2018, 11:10   #129

OK, you want to see an example of a builder that goes above and beyond the typical boat builder in order to produce an exceptional boat? The attached photo here shows how ITA is installing every thru hull in the boat. They completely remove the core material and install a solid GRP plug to drill through for the installation. This completely removes any possibility of water penetration of the core from a thru hull install. Contrast this with builders like Fountain Pajot who install thru hulls in balsa cored hulls without any attention to protection of the core material. Just saying. And this is just one example of the attention ITA is paying to building a really solid boat that will provide a lot of value to their owners.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 Ready to Drill Hole forThru Hull.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	165636  
Old 06-03-2018, 11:23   #130
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
OK, you want to see an example of a builder that goes above and beyond the typical boat builder in order to produce an exceptional boat? The attached photo here shows how ITA is installing every thru hull in the boat. They completely remove the core material and install a solid GRP plug to drill through for the installation. This completely removes any possibility of water penetration of the core from a thru hull install. Contrast this with builders like Fountain Pajot who install thru hulls in balsa cored hulls without any attention to protection of the core material. Just saying. And this is just one example of the attention ITA is paying to building a really solid boat that will provide a lot of value to their owners.

Gary
I have no idea what interest you have in this boat/manufacturer but this is widely admitted as bad commercial practice. You remind me of the other guy and his nautitech 46. You are making this boat (which may be a good one) a disservice.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:32   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I have no idea what interest you have in this boat/manufacturer but this is widely admitted as bad commercial practice. You remind me of the other guy and his nautitech 46. You are making this boat (which may be a good one) a disservice.
Hi Rom,

Not sure where you are coming from regarding your comment. I have no interest in ITA other than being a potential buyer. Feel free to watch my video reviews of other boats we have considered buying on my youtube channel "iliohale Productions". To be clear I have no affiliation to ITA other then being a big fan of any builder that does a good job, cares about their customers, and has a boat that fits our requirements. The people at ITA and the US Dealer have been great to work with and have been extremely open in sharing the details of their the 14.99 design and build and I really appreciate this.

Gary
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Rom - why is this bad commercial practice?

Personally I think it is obvious that he is either a huge fan of this company or just to make $ off of it...

However - the question remains why is this bad practice?
Gr8Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:46   #133

And by the way, I based on my comment on Fountain Pajot thru hulls being installed in balsa cored hulls based on the following blog post from Out Chasing Stars: Out Chasing Stars Haul Out in Vava'u - Out Chasing Stars

Check out the photos for the Helia 44.

Gary
Old 06-03-2018, 11:52   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Jeepin View Post
Rom - why is this bad commercial practice?

Personally I think it is obvious that he is either a huge fan of this company or just to make $ off of it...

However - the question remains why is this bad practice?
Huge fan, not making $ off this. Once again, I just really appreciate good builders and good boats. Look, there are plenty of good builders and boats out there and plenty of builders that just get by with doing the bare minimum. While shopping the last two years I have gotten a great education from current boat owners that are experiencing significant issues with their boats and I am trying to avoid that situation.

Gary
Old 06-03-2018, 12:03   #135

The through hull on the Helia was above the water line. Below waterline is solid glass. Does the ITA have solid glass below the waterline?, it seems not from the commentary. This could mean even a modest grounding/ anchor chain mishap, etc could open the core to seawater?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote