Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 15:51   #16

Having had a look at the Bumfuzzle site, I would agree with the Schulzes and their repairer in New Zealand that some of the fibreglass does not appear to have ever been bonded to the core. That is a build problem, it can't be blamed on lightning, poor loading of the boat, or not having insurance (???).
It was also irritating the way Charter Cats kept referring to the boat as being much older than it actually was - it was less than a year old when the Schulzes bought it, which probably led them to believe that it ought to be in very good condition, a belief that was backed up by the survey. I can only suspect that the surveyor must have thought that such a new boat wouldn't have had any problems either, so he gave it a very cursory look over.

Many (most) circumnavigators don't have insurance. If you are wondering why, try pricing it. Most insurance companies also have requirements that can be difficult for a couple to meet - a minimum of 3 crew is often required.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:53   #17

Jaguar 36

We are planning a bare boat trip for March and are thinking about the Jaguar 36. Can you give me any insight as far as the design and comfort of the boat? The one we are looking at is a 2006 and it looks nice from the BVI website.

Thanks
Deb
duggancci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 21:55   #18

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Last fall I looked at a number of Wildcat 350's in Florida. All of them showed some water damage in the interior. Against the advice of a friend I made an offer on one. The survey was not too bad, no sign of osmosis, a few minor voids tapped out by a hammer, non skid in poor shape. However on the attempted sea trial, the surveyor and I realized that the stern was much lower than it should be. The port engine would not start and the hydraulic steering did not centre both rudders. After the boat was pulled out of the water, a small crack was spotted between the hull and the stern stair mold and the stern crash bulkhead was full of water.

I eventually bought another SA boat, a Voyage 38 which I am very happy with so far. My big shakedown cruise will begin in November.
Old 03-09-2007, 22:45   #19

To me, I'll take the word of a real world person actually using and sailing the cat then someone at the factory.. Of course they will always defend they they have the best equipment, QA in place, blah blah blah... I can't imagine any manufacturer admitting that yes they do skimp on parts or steps, or whatever to get the boat out and sold. This is why I enjoy spending time on this forum asking real people real questions about their real experiences..

I know that it is like buying cars, you can have the worst lemon from a great car maker. It can and does happen. And I don't wish that on anyone. But, I always seem to usually be the worst case scenario.. So reading bumfizzle reads a little like my life sometimes... LOL

Cheers.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Voyage 38

Billyehh,

I tried to send you a private message, but was blocked. I wanted to ask you about your Voyage 38 purchase - ie. the good, the bad, the ugly(if any)? The Voyage is on my very short list, so whatever advice or recommendations you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to send a PM to me. Thanks.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:03   #21

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Kevin: I'll have to figure out the private message thing. Hopefully I'll have time to respond to you this evening
Old 05-09-2007, 15:20   #22

Boat: Maxim 380
Hi Billyehh,
Congrats on your purchase of the Voyage. Have you spent much time on her yet? We have also just recently purchased a Voyage/Maxim 38 and are starting to fix/add the things we want on her. Would like to hear your opinion based on yout time onboard. -- Dave
Tropic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 00:58   #23

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Tropic 1

Hi,Just been reading a few posts being a fellow owner,mines hull no 22 launched sept 2002 approx,thought it would be good to swap info.I live on the east coast of Australia in southern Queensland last year spent 8 months cruising to top of Aust.via Whitsundy Islands to Lizard Island met two families from USA on Leapard cats they believe the coral snorkling grounds of the Great Barrier Reef to be the best woldwide we have so many beautiful places in our large backyard.Still got to see whats round the next corner though and will have no hesitation in circumnavigating on Jacana in a year or two.Think the boats great ,looks awesome ,would like a bigger boat though sails well we hardly use the motors and i solo sailed home last year over 2000ks with no problems.Currently trying to get in survey so i can earn some money while doing what i enjoy best .Enjoy life while you can.Regards Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:42   #24

Boat: Maxim 380
Jacana

Hi Geoff, Thanks for the response! We have a 2004 launched in June of that year, I believe, for the 2004 Annapolis boat show on the east coast of the US in October (it starts this thursday for 2007). Glad you like the boat, makes us feel we made the right choice (long time sailor first time multihull owner). We actually have heard positive comments from every voyage/maxim owner we have talked with and that the sailing performance is well above average. Not sure we will ever get down your way (with the boat at least) but sounds like a great area. May be asking more in the future. Dave
Tropic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jaguar