Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 04:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jetski on Hull

(Dirky - your inbox is full)

What speed do you have to plug Jetski's up at these days to avoid forced water intake?
Years ago we used to have a plug in our intake when we towed it behind the Moonraker.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 04:48   #17

Boat: secondarily boatless

Guys,

towing a 250 kg monster behind your cat is a disaster waiting to happen. In nice weather (don't most cruises start out this way?) it could be simply a better looking drogue, but when the waves kick up you will have a missile heading your way every time your boat has stopped surfing down the wave, but your jetski hasn't yet. Add to that the fact that their exterior is of the same hardness as your hull, completely different from your dinghy...I hope you get the idea...

If you absolutely want to take one - I have seen cats with the new dinghy lifts that had them on the lift. Looked pretty secure to me.

...and I admit I hate them with a passion when anchored. Seems like they are never satisfied to dissipate their power in the open, but they have to take your boat as a buoy for a high speed turn etc. etc. etc.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:07   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hence we keep over ripe fruit and veges at the sink in the cockpit, for RIB drivers as well .... done once already with a tomato...
Old 30-08-2012, 05:21   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator
(Dirky - your inbox is full)

What speed do you have to plug Jetski's up at these days to avoid forced water intake?
Years ago we used to have a plug in our intake when we towed it behind the Moonraker.
Not too fast, we have installed a inline valve which does the job.
Towing it up to 8 knots has not been an issue though

We have floating rope too which helps prevent prop tangles.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:28   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Putting people's biases aside: I think the 1000+ pound weight of the jet-ski is your deal killer. Even at half that weight it would be too heavy for a cat that size. If you reinforced the davits and blocks you could carry it, but the cat would sit low and drag in the stern and sail like a dog. I wouldn't even consider towing in a seaway. If you put it in the davits you could get a lightweight (sub-100 pound) dinghy and hoist it to the deck or cabin roof with a halyard, or a roll-up dinghy.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:32   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri
Putting people's biases aside: I think the 1000+ pound weight of the jet-ski is your deal killer. Even at half that weight it would be too heavy for a cat that size. If you reinforced the davits and blocks you could carry it, but the cat would sit low and drag in the stern and sail like a dog. I wouldn't even consider towing in a seaway. If you put it in the davits you could get a lightweight (sub-100 pound) dinghy and hoist it to the deck or cabin roof with a halyard, or a roll-up dinghy.
Totally agree.
Our 360 kg jetski would be too heavy for our 45 ft cat.
We have a 230 kg one coming which will work fine, big difference in weight.
The xl 700 is easier to repair and fine to ride.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:41   #22

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

There is nothng more obnoxious in a quiet anchorage than a jet ski. For some reason most people feel they must operate them like weekend Sea Ray drivers. You would be as popular as the plague!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:42   #23

Boat: Tartan 4100

Ahhh, I have fond memories of being anchored out in a nice, small protected cove on the Chesapeake with a nice sunset coming on, a bottle of wine, dinner near ready, nice jazz softly coming from the cockpit speakers. What could be better? Well, low and behold, two jet skis running circles around this nice little anchorage, totally destroying our tranquility and romantic dinner aboard. Ahhh, I remember it well.
Who doesn't just love those things??? I mean really, what could be more fun?!!
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:49   #24

Jet skis are equal to motocross bikes it depends on the rider, sadly their are bad drivers of both but not always.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

If you do buy the cat and jetski, just make sure that you ride it at idle in anchorage, and go out of your way to avoid annoying other anchored/sailing boats.

How about a underwater submarine instead? They are way over the jet ski in the cool factor, and will not annoy every other person you meet.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 14:37   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Jetskis are one of two reasons we don't carry guns on board our catamaran.

What type of anchor will you use with it? (just covering all the bases...)

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:06   #27

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Jet skis are equal to motocross bikes it depends on the rider, sadly their are bad drivers of both but not always.

You sound like a jetski owner,,,at least motocross bikes go out into the bush away from the public
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:34   #28

Nope never owned one they are not my style, i've owned properties in Australia where bikes annoyed the crap out of me by buzzing by our paddocks.

It's an observation that Jetski's and Motorcross are very similar the annoyance level depends on the drivers respect.

RIB's and Speedboats are the more common annoyance to us insisting on putting them on the step beside us and usually when i'm cooking......
Old 01-09-2012, 22:44   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Nope never owned one they are not my style, i've owned properties in Australia where bikes annoyed the crap out of me by buzzing by our paddocks.

It's an observation that Jetski's and Motorcross are very similar the annoyance level depends on the drivers respect.

RIB's and Speedboats are the more common annoyance to us insisting on putting them on the step beside us and usually when i'm cooking......

For some the mere sight of a jetski is enough for them to get upset, for me it is a smoker thrwing away their cigarette or rubbish everywhere. but not on the floor in their own house.

Agree

"It's an observation that Jetski's and Motorcross are very similar the annoyance level depends on the drivers respect."
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Maybe I'm getting old but our 9' tinny with 5hp is about as much as I can manage.

Some seem to have a lot of fun with a RIB with a 15hp Yamaha. I've even heard of some going up to 20 or even 25hp. They may not have a better power/weight ratio than a F16 but they should go pretty well.

I recall a foreigner left Albur in the Phils to go to Alona Beach on a jetski and never arrived. They found his body more than a few days later...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull