Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 04:29   #31

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Just Purchased a Crowther 34 Tri Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMatt View Post
Mr Matt still has time if you need help moving your tri
Thanks, but Cardinal Boat Movers has it on a low boy, and I believe they're leaving from the Vacouver area with it tomorrow if the shrink wrapping is finished.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:04   #32

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I moved the boat this weekend. The weather was perfect. The winds were mostly light to real light so we motored all the way. We passed a couple of sailboats that were doing about 2 to 4 knots but most were motoring as well. With the current we made it up to 9 with that little kicker. She is now in Port Orchard.
Old 23-11-2015, 07:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Glad you got her moved but wish you had some sailing winds. 9 knots that's great did the run in one day or 2?
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:42   #34

2 days. The ferry doesn't get to Orcas until 11:50 AM and we were underway about 12:30. That time was good because we rode the current thru the San Juan Channel. We put the sails up after that but the wind dropped more so we took them down. We made such great time across the Strait that we were ahead of the tide and it was still coming out of the Admiralty Inlet. We slowed to 2 knots coming up to Port Townsend. It took forever. We spent the night there and got an early start to grab that current flowing south. I think the motor was pushing us 5.5 to 6 knots but we were always going faster. We hit 9.1 under the Bainbridge Island bridge. Saturday was exceptionall clear with great views of the Cascades, Olympics, Baker and Rainier all together and all day.

Saw Orcas, too!
Old 28-11-2015, 19:34   #35

Boat: 2 tris and others

I have one of the Toronto built Buc-33's, with round bilges, built with foam/glass hulls and ply decks, with the standard alloy crossbeams. The hulls on mine look very much the same as your new 34, the beams are quite different. Crowther modified the plans for the round bilges, and I think there are also several round bilge 33's in Australia.
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buc33 10-15bow (Large).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	114022  
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:12   #36

We had a windstorm this past week and she got scuffed up by the dock which is a bummer. One bad scrape thru the glass and into the core plus others. Gusts up to around 60 mph. I'm on an end tie and that less than one mile fetch across the bay was too much. We had 2' waves washing up on the dock. The issue is she was riding the tops of the waves and really bouncing around. The fenders were getting thrown up on the dock. A bow line parted. It was "hectic". I stayed with her until I was drenched from the spray and freezing. I didn't think my kicker had enough HP to move it off the dock and the prop would have been coming out of the water anyway so that wouldn't work. I called about getting a tow to a better location and that opened up an insurance claim with Boat US. The tow captain said noway. Now my plan was to go home, shower and change and come back out. The wind had knocked down power lines and the traffic lights were out so getting home took forever. The lights were out at my house so no well pressure and no shower. I just folded after that. It blew all night but the boat didn't really get damaged any worse. There's no water egress and she is still usable. The adjuster comes out Tuesday. I have full coverage.

After that the wind dropped to near 0. I went out on Friday and played with the sails in about 3 knots wind and then the wind disappeared. So back to motoring. I almost docked her by myself except for a marina tenant showed up at the right time. I have a side tie now so out of harms way but more complicated ingress. One issue is the motor is mounted down there on that bracket and all the controls are manual. To change gears you need to reach down there while steering with the rudder tiller and get the docklines to the cleats. There is a motor tiller extension but coming into dock is a semi-coordinated dance. And because the motor is mounted off center this effects the steering. I need to be perfect when backing into the slip because changing the rudder angle takes a long time to take effect. I'm probably going to install a Yamaha remote control which will make things easier. Option B is another engine on the other side of the aft beam which would give me great control but the $$$$ and the weight is a concern. Then I would have 2 remotes like a normal boat.

One thing that is real cool is there are lines everywhere and the problem is there are lines everywhere. Getting a good grasp of what does what will take a bit. I'm still getting used to the Harken Carbo headsail foil. If I position everything just so then I can pull the jib up from the cockpit. Getting everything right while steering (no autopilot) is the hard part.

Even though I had some weather issues I'm still having fun. We'll go out and play with the sails today in the predicted 3 mph wind. Motoring in no wind is better than sittin on the couch.

During that windstorm I saw a big plastic buoy dragging toward my boat. It's was a little bigger than the 55 gal drum size and covered in shellfish. It's heading right for the boat and I'm thinking this is really going to suck. That buoy went right thru clean between the hulls and barely touched the boat. It's kinda funny now.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:31   #37

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Slater, there is an interview with Patrick McGrath on the website Small Trimarans which explains why Ringo is in Canada. Patrick as Canadian served as representative of Lock Crowther.

(Source: More on Lock Crowther's Buccaneer 24 Trimaran
I know both Dave Green and Pat McGrath having raced against Pat in his Buc 28. I only saw Ringo once and I do not know where it ended up.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
I have one of the Toronto built Buc-33's, with round bilges, built with foam/glass hulls and ply decks, with the standard alloy crossbeams. The hulls on mine look very much the same as your new 34, the beams are quite different. Crowther modified the plans for the round bilges, and I think there are also several round bilge 33's in Australia.
B
Is your boat the ex Robinox? The Crowther that the op bought has Kracken style cross beams
Old 29-11-2015, 13:20   #39

Boat: 2 tris and others

Crab, sorry about the damage, but at least you are not the first to put a mark on your new boat. It took me awhile to learn to drive my 24 and I got a "few" nicks in the process (with the same sort of remote engine set up), and the 33 is a whole lot larger. I have a remote control outboard on my 33, and I am setting up a cable steering system.
Yes Admiral, I have Robinox. I have done a major rebuild/update that should keep her going for a long time.
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROBINOX in flight from stern (Large).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	114050  
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 13:34   #40

So does this mean Sandcrab wil no longer be looking around for Cheap and Project Multihulls? If so, phooey!
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 13:35   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Sand Crab,

Hang in there, summer's only six months away.
And get yourself an autopilot, nuttin' fancy.

Raymarine ST1000 Plus Tiller Pilot A12004 | eBay

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:09   #42

Sorry to hear about the damage. Just curious, were you able.to get full coverage without a survey?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:24   #43

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Looks great, congratulations.
Hoping to make it through the sea trial and survey next week on a new boat ourselves. Maybe we will see you shoot past us if your cruising north across the border.
Lunita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
Crab, sorry about the damage, but at least you are not the first to put a mark on your new boat. It took me awhile to learn to drive my 24 and I got a "few" nicks in the process (with the same sort of remote engine set up), and the 33 is a whole lot larger. I have a remote control outboard on my 33, and I am setting up a cable steering system.
Yes Admiral, I have Robinox. I have done a major rebuild/update that should keep her going for a long time.
B
Nice photo Bruce, my brother race on her for years with Paul Webb the owner. I was on a Searunner 40 .
BTW if you do it right she will get air
Old 29-11-2015, 15:54   #45

Thanx guys. I went out to the boat today but there was zero wind and fog so we just messed around there at the dock.

BTW I did a stated boat value on the insurance. It was what Boat US came up with online without my input. No survey. It was about $740 a year.

Tags
purchase