Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 15:32   #1

Key West sailing advise

Hi all, new to this forum and sailing so could use some advise. My fiancé and I just finished our 104 and will complete our 114 just prior to our honey moon where we planned to rent a catamaran in Key West and follow their recommended itinerary for 7 days. Was just told today that we don't have enough experience to rent the boat and must have a captain on board with us. After my initial disappointment the gal I was speaking with made it sound like a great idea as we can learn from the skipper as well as enjoy our honeymoon. Be as hands on as we want and relax when we want. My fiancé is really bummed and hesitant as he wanted an adventure plus the thought of someone else on board during our honeymoon wasn't what he had in mind. Looking for thought from others with more experience? Thanks in advance!
Ashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 15:52   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Key West sailing advise

Check around 114 should be enough to bareboat. Failing that consider a flotilla , still in charge of your own boat etc.
Old 17-08-2021, 16:00   #3

Good idea to check with other companies. No flotilla's when we will be there but good idea!
Old 17-08-2021, 16:20   #4

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Find out what experience they would be comfortable with. Maybe you have time to jump on a few deliveries.. always people looking for help moving cats / boats across the gulf or up the east coast.

I picture captain ron sailing you around during your honeymoon. Hilarious.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 16:33   #5

Exactly!! Just re-watched that and we have zero time. Our 114 is the weekend before we get married at the end of Sept.
Old 17-08-2021, 16:33   #6

I can totally understand why he does not want some one aboard during your honeymoon....ok, I dont know the fella......but I certainly know I would not want someone aboard during a honeymoon.

Definitely.

I would not do the charter if they do not allow it. Maybe another company?

Perhaps someone on this forum will have an idea, hope so.

Best of luck!
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 16:36   #7

Thanks, guess im looking for advise on being new to sailing and the difficulty of the keys. Honeymoon or not, is it suggested to have more time under your belt than just 2 days for a 114 then off on your own for 7 days.
Old 17-08-2021, 16:45   #8

Never done a sailing course, never rented a boat.

Sailed many thousands of miles ....on my own keel.

Others will have a better idea.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 16:48   #9

The Keys can be difficult. Shallows, thousands of lobster traps, anchoring is EFFIN’ dicey, thunderstorms pop up…

It’s easier to go to the BVI as far as chartering is concerned. Contact TMM or Conch Charters.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 16:53   #10

Thank you!! Good info. The more I read and go over all the Moorings said about why they wouldn't rent to us alone yet, the more I think this would be the safest bet
Old 17-08-2021, 16:54   #11

It's a bit much to go straight from a course to a bareboat charter, and just with 2 people. Flotilla might be reasonable, and you might also get an understanding captain who knows when to bugger off, and will maybe stay ashore nights...

Also, since it's just the two of you... why a cat? A monohull would be plenty of room and cheaper to charter.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 17:14   #12

Originally because we were told they are safer in the keys with the shallow waters but with our experience they won't rent anything to us without a skipper so definitely dont want to be on a monohull with one. At least with a Cat we get our own space in the owners cabin
Old 17-08-2021, 17:34   #13

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Ditch them and stay in the upper Keys,,,,do a little sailing and a little power boating. Keys in summer can be too hot for sailing,,,,,and September is still summer.

Rent a power boat to get you out to the reefs quick for snorkeling, then take a few days to sail when the winds are good. You will qualify to rent a power boat with no issues. Or Try staying here for a chance to get your sail charter experience.

https://keylargocottages.com/
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 18:01   #14

I'll "second" flyingfin's recommendation. keylargocottages (also known as Key Lime Sailing) is a nice place to stay, and, your rental includes free use of their 22' sloops. I know people who went there about 6 years ago, with minimal experience (not even 101) and after a brief interview with the owner, were allowed to take a boat out. I think the boats all need to be back by dusk though. You will probably get to sail everyday if you want, although it will not be the bareboat adventure you were initially seeking. They also have kayaks, tiki hut for afternoon/evening cocktails, very laid-back.

I also "second" flyingfin's recommendation to rent a power boat and snorkel the coral reefs. I've gone snorkel and scuba in several parts of the keys and there are lots of areas 20'-25' depths, warm clear water, with colorful coral and fish to enjoy. If you don't want to operate a power boat yourself, find a snorkel tour to take you to a decent place. In Key Largo there is the John Pennekamp Underwater National Park, lots of great snorkeling in 20'-25' depths. If you are not strong swimmers or snorkelers, then, at the very minimum, find a glass-bottom boat tour. You absolutely cannot go to the Keys without seeing the incredible coral reefs! LOL.

Congrats and good luck.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 21:58   #15

Key lime sailing club is def old key largo feel to it. Kinda of a big jump from chartering your own vessel. It’s a cool place but I’m do your research.

It’s simple easy going over there. The entrance is a bit junky but once inside it’s really chill.

Good puck
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, sail, sailing