Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 15:08   #151

Boat: Beneteau, First 45F5
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Trying to stay on topic here ...

I think the YouTube algorithm has a LOT to do with it. Luck of publicity outside of YouTube as well, such as getting a feature on some AU news show.

But honestly, Elayna worked pretty hard for a couple years to get the word out about their channel. And she negotiated the deal with Outremer I believe. Once it hit critical mass it snowballed and they've been freerolling ever since.

Bundle that with the crowd they appeal to, the yuppies with plenty of cash seeking short term glamor experiences, idly sitting at computers, their channel certainly caters to a large slice of the population. I think the vast majority of their viewers are people who would charter a catamaran in the carib for a week, think they were experienced sailors afterward, and tell all their friends on social media how amazing their life is.

Most other liveaboard YouTubers aren't portraying the lifestyle that the Vagabondes are, or the lifestyle that most viewers want to see. Vagabonde's viewers aren't cruisers or liveaboards or even boaters generally speaking. The only people I've talked to that genuinely enjoy their channel are people who don't boat. And I ask them about their boating plans or joining me for a crossing from Florida to the Bahamas or a week in the Bahamas and they all say it's not for them. But the LOOOVVEEE the Vagabondes.

Their channel isn't about boating. It's about a perceived lifestyle and living vicariously through them.
Well said..... they are a couple of adventurers who have managed to enlighten those who cannot get out there and see the world. I get so sick and tired of the knockers.... get a life!
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 15:59   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolimited View Post
You still don't get it. My statement about Canada not having 1st Amendment protections has absolutely nothing to do with what you are talking about. In other words, your responses had nothing to do with my statement. You seem to be unable to grasp the concept
Assange had nothing to do with getting the Panama papers. The US Govt had nothing to do with the car bomb. I'm guessing you're QAnon or something similar, unable to keep a firm grasp on reality.

You're the one who's having trouble following a fairly basic flow of logic that's laid out quite simply in front of you. So much so, that your immediate fallback is to dish out ad hominems.

Do you also have trouble peeling an orange?
chriszanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:03   #153
lyl

Check out 'The Geordie, the Witch and the Wench' on Youtube. Their sailing channel is the best.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:07   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why they are soooo far ahead in YT subs?
if you want flesh there are more sexy channels,
if you want info there are way more informative channels,
if you want videography there are much better channels.

Is it simply because they were one of the first?

And BTW how come I knew that they were getting a Rapido 18 mths ago? I thought it was common knowledge...
Is this a serious question or simply jealousy?

They were extremely attractive young people with nice personalities who were actually doing what millions dreamed of doing. Once they hit a critical mass of subscribers and views YouTube propelled them to tremendous heights based off their algorithms. This success kind of ruined them. The same thing happened to Kara & Nate. Lucky for them they realized they had taken a wrong turn with their followers and tried to correct course. Then covid hit and we'll see how they recover.

As was mentioned in another post, loads of people never get around to unsubscribing. I watched them until they got the catamaran and then for a little bit after that but they had obviously "sold out" at that point and were becoming more of a commercial company than anything else. I don't blame them but I'm not interested anymore either.
RJ_AMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:59   #155
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Only he's a photographer. She was a makeup artist and his model. She had on Youtube a moderately successful makeup-channel.

The last years were hard on her looks and he didn't really mature in a very positive way.

Just watched the latest Wynns video and came to the conclusion that they probably don’t give a rats ass what you think of their looks or maturity. They are living their dream and it appears you are watching some of their videos helping them live their dream.
Please start your own YouTube channel so we can finally understand what a perfect human being looks and acts like. Much love.🥰
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:04   #156

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Just watched the latest Wynns video and came to the conclusion that they probably don’t give a rats ass what you think of their looks or maturity. They are living their dream and it appears you are watching some of their videos helping them live their dream.
Please start your own YouTube channel so we can finally understand what a perfect human being looks and acts like. Much love.��
I’m a casual viewer of the Wynn channel (as I am with all the others I guess- I feel no particular loyalty or disdain for any of them) and I’ve got to say was a pretty solid installment. I’d love to know what camera they used for their night shots in that one. They managed to capture the stars somehow without saturating themselves in the foreground. Really nice videography (and I’m usually the LAST person to appreciate something like that).

Say what you may about them, but they’ve made it from Florida- now to New Zealand. Not too shabby.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:06   #157

Boat: Looking for a cruising monohull or preferably a catamaran 39 feet or longer.

What actually happened with La Vagabond was in my opinion that they were early, had good content, were young and easy on the eye and were intelligent people. Once they got to a certain level of subscribers they were interviewed by TV from Australia, New Zealand, and the USA for many reasons further promoting their channel to new audiences. This propelled their channel even more with viewers outside a sailing only interest. The last thing taking them way ahead was the reason a few people unsubscribed from them as stated in this thread. They took Greta Thunberg and her dad to Europe for her part in the Lisbon climate talks. This brought a very young following as well as climate change activists and others to subscribe.
Expedition Evans were inspired by La Vagabond and they have had massive growth for their new YouTube channel!
I also like The Wynn's, No Bulls..t Just Sailing, Sailing Nahoa, Saiing Sunday, Sailing GBU, Sailing Yacht Florence, Sailing Zatara, Sailing Nandji and Sailing Fair Isle in this sailing vlogger group! Expedition Drenched is also great for the dive videography.
I don't know how anyone could have known La Vagabond's chosen new boat 18 months ago as when they announced they were looking at the new project with ekectric motors many large catamaran builders approached them with offers. They had to weigh them up but Riley always wanted a really high performance boat....I just thought it would be a Gunboat!
Rjstutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 17:10   #158
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
I’m a casual viewer of the Winn channel (as I am with all the others I guess- I feel no particular loyalty to disdain for any of them) and I’ve got to say was a pretty solid installment. I’d love to know what camera they used for their night shots in that one. That managed to capture the stars somehow without saturating themselves in the foreground. Really nice videography (and I’m usually the LAST person to appreciate something like that).

Say what you may about them, but they’ve made it from Florida- now to New Zealand. Not too shabby.

Please reread my post and realize it was a reaction to the quote. I also appreciate the Wynns and what they’ve done and posted nothing negative about them.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:13   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
The only people watching these dingleberries are couch potato's and dreamers......

The worst yet is the two yahoo's on "gone with the winns", hooked a fish in the Bahamas, recorded it, all the while not figuring out how to slow the boat or go in reverse to retrieve it. Dumba$$'s let 500 yards of monofilament out in into the sea when it came off the reel, yes they actually recorded it.........
Yep, they screwed up. Must be nice to be you and never do that! I give them props for showing their mistakes as well as successes.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:16   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Crossing an ocean doesn't necessarily give skills.

Have met many over the last 5 years who have done the same yet know nought about actual sail trim, basic maintenance or sensible anchoring.
Anyone with money can buy a boat and cross an ocean, zero experience required it seems.
Most of the time they have an uneventful passage, certainly nothing that more money can't fix.

Never having watched a "Wynn's" video I won't comment on their ability
They built their channel (and brand) on their RV adventures around the U.S. I found them to be nice enough people and enjoyed that they didn't hide their mistakes when they screwed up. Eventually they ran out of places to go in an RV and bought a Catamaran.

I followed their sea adventures for a little while but watching anyone gets old eventually so I stopped.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:21   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Only he's a photographer. She was a makeup artist and his model. She had on Youtube a moderately successful makeup-channel.

The last years were hard on her looks and he didn't really mature in a very positive way.
Someone sure sounds jealous!
Old 28-06-2021, 17:29   #162

Quote:
Please reread my post and realize it was a reaction to the quote. I also appreciate the Wynns and what they’ve done and posted nothing negative about them.
I’m agreeing with you. I TOO enjoyed their video.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:30   #163
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Wow. Defenses down smj... I’m agreeing with you. I TOO enjoyed their video. Good ol Cruisersforum!

Sorry, must have misread your post.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:33   #164

Quote:
Sorry, must have misread your post.
No worries, I can see where my last sentence could be interpreted as aimed at you (which is most definitely was not!) That was meant for the detractors upthread.
Old 28-06-2021, 18:24   #165

First I was a member years and years ago and I cant remember my name here.

Now to reply to the thread, I have never watched vagabond except an episode or two.

I started watching MJ and I am not sure why, but I like the building of the cat. But to me they are doing the pay us to do what we like group. To me thats a turn off, but I do want to watch the build. I am localish to them and offered to help if they needed a body for help, no reply.

I like learning the lines just for the walk thrus of boats.

But I religiously watch sailing zatara. Keith and I have the same sense of humor ( broken ) and I do live vicariously thru them. They for the longest time did not have anyway to "give them" money, and now they do have a membership for some private stuff and a store and amazon. I like the fact that the kids run the store, and get the money from it.