Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 19:28   #166

Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
I agree about la vag... the one that really disappointed me was Delos, when I found out they would cruise around the world and to ease their discomfort about discussions about being American, they would state they were Canadian. As a red blooded American vet, that was it for me. Unsubscribed and won’t watch another.

+1 for sailing GBU. Real and learning.
Thanks; will take a look at GBU and would appreciate other references.
Vagabonde really pissed me off when they very uncritically got sucked into the Great Thunberg BS.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 22:14   #167

Boat: Venture of Newport 23 swing keel

Long Range Sailin is great. Both very adventurous and practical, strong weather explained and handled without àcting drama. Really like his xplanations of how things work, I mean to very detailed wiring and etc
Kayakeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 22:34   #168

Boat: Venture of Newport 23 swing keel

Project Atticus
Long Range Sailing
Kayakeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 23:20   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
They are living their dream and it appears you are watching some of their videos helping them live their dream.
That's good for them, but when you watch some more, you'll see that their dream was a lot brighter in older episodes. At the moment they look a little frayed and coming up with new videos after all those years for YouTube could have become a bit of a drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Please start your own YouTube channel so we can finally understand what a perfect human being looks and acts like. Much love.🥰
Don't worry, I won't add to the general visual pollution and to boot my life is far too boring to be camera-worthy.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 23:23   #170

Boat: Still building

I, too, am a fan of Free Range Sailing, largely because they sail where I want to, so every episode is a learning experience. Their recent COVID lockdown rebuild in Tasmania was excellent for showing some intriguing and left field ways of doing stuff that impressed. Troy thinks through all his mods, and is happy to detail his process and the execution. his adding thin pads to deck fittigns to get the actual fittign out of permanent contact with deck flows I though was inspired. Had not occurred to me before, and his engineering and construction of their new hard dodger was a lesson in how-to. Excellent workmanship, well explained and executed.
Now they are back to sailing, diving and fishing, I suspect they will be enjoying their 'lifestyle' a lot more.

I also watch sailing Florence Around The World. I like that their tender is called The Machine (after UK pop band Florence and the Machine), shows they have a sense of humour, and they don't hide their fears and concerns, but also are good on maintenance stuff. I think it's only a pity they set themselves a 'get around in 4 years' goal. I suspect they will remember the Indonesian stay (COVID enforced) far more than anything else of the trip once they get home. But who knows, they may yet keep going?

I still watch Sailing Project Atticus, but they kinda lost me when they did the GoFundMe to pay for the new boat. I was enjoying the 'two kids against the world' ethos of the earlier vids, and now they are just like any other cashed-up yuppies. And now so much more conscious of the need to produce 'content' to keep the cash register ringing.

Speaking of which - didn't 'get' the Wynns initially, thought they were idiots, but have recently got more into them, especially sailing the Pacific where, again, they are seeing stuff I'd like to see one day.
Yes, she's hot, but isn't at all precious about it, and they don't tend to do the gratuitous slow-mo close ups, and she has a sorta quirky sense of humour. Jason is just like some huge puppy dog, let off the leash, bounding around idiotically, but without any self-reverence. They do quite a bit of product placement, some obvious some not so, but hey, if that's where your income is coming from, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I did like their explanation of LifePO a year os so back. Very easy to understand and the FLA/Lithium price comparo was, I think, well presented.

I tend not to watch any of the American cruisers (hence why I initially didn't warm to the Wynns) because I just find their accents so annoying. Sorry, Seppos, but that's just how it is. You probably think us Aussies sound weird, too! Interestingly, Canadian accents don't bother me nearly as much....

What I see as a trend is the newer channels that start out intending to become a "YouTube channel", emulating the older channels. While this should surprise no-one - it is now the 'preferred way of paying for your sailing voyage' - whereas in the past, people like the Pardeys wrote books, lectured at sailing shows, put out DVDs etc. Some, like Sailing Banyandah, who have been out there almost as long as the Pardeys, still do, but have been getting more into video of late. But their monthly blog is still interesting and worth signing up for. Especially if you are interested in Tasmanian waters, where they mostly sail these days.

But I agree with all the general comments about 'different strokes for different folks'. I watched some of the early Delos and found it a bit grating - too much gratuitous tits and bums - but recently watched a cuppla episodes and found it had mellowed. Ditto Vagabond. I also admired their grasping the opportunity to assist Greta. As some of the deniers on here point out, they turned off LVB at that point. Good riddance. Climate change is real, and EVERYONE needs to do their bit - 15-yr old autistic Swedish schoolgirl, or crusty old denialist farts on CF!
There is no Planet B, folks. But ftr, it's clear that LVB's ethos has always been very much in that direction, even while sailing around on a big chunk of plastic. And yeah, I get the hypocrisy of that, but what else ya gonna do? Be forever maintaining a wooden boat? Or a steel boat?

I also watch Old Sea Dog, but find him a bit annoying at times, but he's in my local waters at present, so that's at least an additional interest. and his hw-to stuff is interesting. Used to watch Sailing Brickhouse occasionally, for specifi how-to vids, but sadly Patrick Childress was a victim of COVID, so have not watched it since. He was loquacious, but accurate, I found.

I'm also watching the train wreck that is Sailing Yaba - the two kids in Brazil who are filming a rough and ready shipyard rebuilding their 70ft Brazilian coastal cruiser. Not sure where the money is coming from, but I guess they are living with her family for free. But the carpentry. Is. Amazing. Totally 'this is how it's always been' but with a few rudimentary machines and modern tools. And they are total noobs who don't mind admitting it, and frequently get the names of parts of the vessel wrong.
It's going to be "interesting" when they eventually refloat the vessel and start trying to make a living from it as a dive boat (as planned). Or not.

Speaking of train wrecks: cuppla worthwhile mentions - Sailing Melody and Ship Happens - the former about a sailing family who've taken on a steel boat that looks in far worse condition than it really is, but are genuinely doing it hard and on a tight budget. Their hearing-impaired son, Jack is adorable, whereas neither of the aprents is, but they are both into the hard graft. Definitely not a tits and arse vlog! Gonna be interesting to see if they get it done and get sailing.
The Ship Happens team have the most annoying accents - she's Liverpudlian - high-pitched and nasal, while he's a mutterer who doesn't have a beard, but still making it very hard to understand him at times, but the project they've taken on - a WWII gunboat converted to a pleasure yacht (badly, as they are having to remove most of the rotten superstructure) is hilarious. I'm still not sure whether they are serious, or just doing it to pass the time. HUGE project, and bugger all money. But lashings of good humour and enthusiasm. Mental was my first thought, and still holding.

I've followed the Beneteau rebuild vlog of Expedition Evans too. While Jade can be a bit annoying on some of her pieces to camera when she's goofing off, you can't help but admire her dedication to doing at least 50% of the grunt work grinding, sanding, fibreglassing, etc. Pretty sure Brett realised a long time ago she's a 'keeper'.
Gonna be interesting to see how they transition from a 'rebuild vlog' to a 'now we're sailing vlog'. I don't like the dogs, but can see they do, so I can ignore my prejudice.
Not sure they did enough research on the name 'Dingo' though...they are not well liked in their home country. lol

Have picked up a few ideas for additional viewing from this thread, so thanks one and all for the suggestions.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 23:47   #171

Buzzman,

thank you for the list. Here a few more that haven't been mentioned too often recently:
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 00:32   #172

Boat: Still building

'Nother one I forgot is Sailing Millenial Falcon - another two Aussies out and about, not being too pretentious about anything, but lots of sailing stuff.

And I also forgot Wildlings Sailing that I have been watching lately. I only caught up with them when they bought their ancient Cherokee cat, which is proving to be something of a project.

Good humoured oddball couple - English guy, Chinese girl - both very hands on, as too poor to pay others, so she's just refitted 16 windows on the cat and he's taught hmself how to rebuild his ancient MB diesel. Boat has hydraulic motors in hulls, single donk on bridgedeck. Class 'we go it cheap project boat'. They are currently rebuilding hardwood/glass skegs and rudders that were delaminating and had been poorly repaired in the past.

Another one I have watched a bit, but am not yet a disciple, is Vet Tails Sailing Chuffed. Vet who travels around fixing broken animals. Another Aussie, which is why I started watching, but havenl't watched too many, but looks promising.

One I personally wouldn't recommend, though it's pretty well watched, is Emily and Clark's Adventure. he tends to talk too much - too many pieces to camera, and in a couple of vids I watched was a bit 'here's how I did it, anyone else can too', kinda preachy. Bit smug, bit up himself....but don't let that put you off.

I've tried to get into RAN Sailing but there's something that's just not jelling with me. Need to watch a few more eps probably.

Ditto Sailing Magic Carpet, who've sold their oroginal boat and are now in the shed refurbing their new boat. Again, have only watched a few eps, and it seems like an interesting and down to earth channel. Worth a look also...
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 02:43   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
(DELOS) They whine about how some guy tried to steal their outboard when he is living in poverty trying to support 2 kids and they show up in million dollar boat and could easily use oars on their dinghy instead. He isn't wrong: they are.
In perspective - DELOS was in Madagascar (irrelevant in the end) and a man boarded their boat AT NIGHT while they were sleeping and attempted to STEAL the dinghy to get the outboard.

That person risked their life committing a crime. It would have ended way different if i would have been there. (Unfortunately for me and the criminal; for i would rather it not happen at all)

What is mine is mine and what is yours is yours. STEALING is wrong, period. Don't care if your starving, don't touch my stuff. Anyone who believes otherwise is naïve. Its a basic human understanding.

Doesn't matter what kind of wealth someone has, they earned it not you. Your judging someone's life due to wealth or laziness makes you look bad. If someone's life is so bad they have to resort to theft, then they better learn to ask or work harder to live. Or they will be in jail or prison at some point.

We all have a heart and would like to help people when they need it. But accepting that theft in any circumstances is ok is just flat wrong and is prevailing in the US at this time.

If you ever have something stolen from you, i hope you honestly will not get upset over it, not call the police, not whine to your friends, and just continue with life. If not, then POT vs KETTLE. For some reason i believe if this happened to you, you would have called in the National Guard. Just IMHO
Sheriffdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:08   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
canadian is american after all, and usa is very similar country to canada

also, really disappointed to see them go to the same island and the same mountain, but I hiked to the top, they drive in a car. Well, I went to a lot more islands and climbed a lot of mountains that did not even have trails to top. They whine about how some guy tried to steal their outboard when he is living in poverty trying to support 2 kids and they show up in million dollar boat and could easily use oars on their dinghy instead. He isn't wrong: they are.

la vagabonde is also very hypocritical as they claim to care about environment, but heavily rely on engines, air travel and exploitation of sea food. If everyone lived like them, the environment would be a lot worse off. I do catch fish but I have enough shame not to take a picture of the animal I killed as if it were a trophy.
If people not stealing is whatt is wrong with the world then you can always find someone poorer than you. Poverty isnt a badge you wear that gives you the right to play Robin Hood. NO one is Above the law. Sorry but this kind of thinking is what is wrong with the world. Proverty isn't position of privledge or kudos and nor is being "environmentally friendly".

One more thing, Canada and the USA are not the same in a mulittude of good and bad ways.
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:19   #175

Quote:
I agree about la vag... the one that really disappointed me was Delos, when I found out they would cruise around the world and to ease their discomfort about discussions about being American, they would state they were Canadian. As a red blooded American vet, that was it for me. Unsubscribed and won’t watch another.

Did not know that. Thanks for relaying. Officially added to my “no fly list” 🇺🇸
Peace-o-cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:28   #176

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

All hail the mighty algorithm…,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:33   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Our last trip overseas, we did see two Ugly Americans, both were in very big tourist areas, that we like to avoid, but the area has lots of history so it attracts people, including us. One guy was just LOUD and the other was talking LOUDLY about his s...x life while on speaker on his cell phone. We could not hear anyone actually respond to him on the phone so we wondered if it was all an act. Thankfully, this was on a back street with nobody around.

While the above was bad, the worst groups were not from the US. There was one group sitting in the grass having a picnic with a dozen or so people, where the grass was not only roped off, but also had multiple signs saying to keep off the grass. Even a non English reader should have gotten the point.

Then there was the group of middle or high school female students running amok in a restaurant that were rude, obnoxious, loud and who trashed the woman's bathroom.

The rudest thing we saw though was from the locals. There was a huge group of men, heading off to a sports event who had packed the local transit train and were singing team songs. We were not even on the train but could here them "singing" as the train got near us and went past. I can't imagine what it was like on the train if we could hear that noise walking near the tracks. Felt really sorry for the people on that train, especially the women.

We have not had problems with being Americans overseas. Once we talked it is pretty easy to tell our country. It has led to some great conversations and new friends. A US friend of ours, who has cruised many a country in his boat, has only had one bad experience in Germany but that may because of his race, not nationality. His experiences at "showing" the flag has been positive.

People are people. Some are good and some are bad.

Later,
Dan
Do you occasionally come across obnoxious Americans?...sure but I've came across obnoxious individuals from a wide variety of countries.

The point is people in other countries don't see an American and automatically assume the worst as is the popular thought among those who don't travel much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:41   #178

Quote:

How do they explain their American Flag??
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 05:22   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakeur View Post
Long Range Sailin is great. Both very adventurous and practical, strong weather explained and handled without àcting drama. Really like his xplanations of how things work, I mean to very detailed wiring and etc
Was this on YouTube? Looked but couldn't find 'em.

Thanks
bill domb
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 05:55   #180

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
All hail the mighty algorithm…,
This is really all it boils down to with respect to the OP’s question about Vagabonde.

They started within the sailing genre, then (whether intentionally or by happen chance) tapped an entirely separate market of viewers (probably when they did the Greta thing). I haven’t looked, but if I was a betting man, I’d guess the Greta demographic draws significantly more viewers for the topic’s “average” video than does the cruising demographic for our average cruising video. Explaining a bit deeper:

Sailing as a topic on YouTube seems to be good for 15,000-150,000 views per video. You could come up with the best cruising content and you’ll probably hover around 15-40,000 views per. Throw in a bikini and you get closer to the 150k.

By contrast, go search on YouTube for videos zoomed into the hands of people opening kids toys and playing with them. These videos get MILLIONS of views per video. It’s not because the videography is any better, it’s because the demographic that views these videos is monumentally larger than the cruising community.

As a thought experiment, let’s say you make a video zoomed in to your hands while you open some popular toys... on your boat in Bora Bora. If that catches the eye of both of these demographics, you’ll have a video that exceeds the average sailing video by a wide margin and you’re likely to get subscriber clicks from both groups.

This will make you an outlier among cruising channels and the algorithm does the rest.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote