Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 08:08   #91

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Im kind of enjoying the banter about Americans especially the opposing viewpoints that are not at all what I have experienced in 40 years of international travel and living. Sure there are a lot of US citizens who have no idea how other nations and cultures work, and there are alot of Canadians, and people from every other country in the world who are just the same with respect to others. Hell most people dont even take the time to understand regional differences within their own country. I don't really like Californians or French Canadians, but I really get along with Newfies.

Once at a cafe in Paris I heard a couple speaking English and I had not been in the US for a few years. I asked them what part of America they were from. The lady replied. "The northern part" Canada.

Many US citizens think that the world hated the Orange Man. Most Greeks I spoke to last year liked his attitude towards the rest of the EU. Greeks seem to be tired of all the BS from Brussels.

The problem is that everybody thinks that they are right and they make up justifications that agree with their story. They just don't get it. Its an opinion not a fact. You are entitled to you own opinion, but not your own facts.

Now my opinion on Nicki Wynn is much better than that tosser of a husband sh e has.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 09:08   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Now my opinion on Nicki Wynn is much better than that tosser of a husband she has.
They seem to be a good fit and to deserve each other.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 09:35   #93

Boat: Caliber 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Did I read seandepagnier correctly that he approves the theft of Delos'' outboard because the thief is poor! WTF???
I've been in too many of these arguments to even comment on that one. Apparently if you leave anything of value in sight and it gets stolen then it's your fault....
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 10:00   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Fav channel by far is sailing GBU. They really put themselves out there.
__________________________________________________ _

I took my first look at GBU ; I see why you like it.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:25   #95

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
I subscribe to many of the cruising youtube channels. I noticed that the way I watch them is in "binges": occasionally, I watch a whole bunch of videos, then I do not watch any for months.
These channels are occasionally informative, some more than others. Most of them fail at "keeping it fresh" and become very boring after a while.
As for La Vagabonde specifically, I think their success is because they are a reasonably cool couple, the kid is kind of cute, and their friends who join them sometimes are reasonably nice. Also (I am guessing) their slant on it, frequently having these "stream of consciousness" episodes talking about their inner feelings, must be appealing to some viewers.
What made me lose interest in them are three things:
1. it has become like a reality show, they act as "stars", they are too aware of their online success and "status". They apparently got a great deal from the manufacturer on their new boat because of their promotional appeal. They have become "influencers" rather than "normal" folks cruising full time. Nothing wrong with that, just not interesting to me.
2. It is not informative anymore, too centered on the two of them rather than on cruising. Again, they are two reasonably interesting people, but like all people, eventually very boring.
3. One aspect that for me keeps a channel "fresh" is the quality of the videography. Le Vagabonde's videos are good, but not the best, there are other cruising channels that are noticeably better in terms of quality of the videography, in my opinion. I am not sure that switching to professional videographers was a great move on their part. For me, what makes some of these channels quite amazing and a "must watch" is that in certain cases "normal" folks reveal themselves exceptional videographers.
Regardless, Le Vagabonde is a very successful channel not only for number of subscribers, but also for numbers of views, so their "recipe" must be appealing to many.

That inane "stream of consciousness" rambling, and inner angst thing is real popular now-a-days. Extra points if it's nighttime, and the YT sailor's face is illuminated by a chartplotter while playing the angst and self-doubt full-tilt. It's a crazy culture where people actually aspire to do that...
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 10:30   #96

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Now my opinion on Nicki Wynn is much better than that tosser of a husband sh e has.
I agree. Even though she is not a surfer she went into the surf at Cloudbreak to film underwater with only a short explanation on how to do it right. And up the mast to fix whatever.

That lady has balls.
Old 24-06-2021, 10:33   #97

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I agree. Even though she is not a surfer she went into the surf at Cloudbreak to film underwater with only a short explanation on how to do it right. And up the mast to fix whatever.

That lady has balls.
The Wynns:
They are a very nice couple and complement each others skills quite well, always eager to learn and explore and not too shy to make mistakes and talk about them.

Very skilled in storytelling, photography and video production.

But this is off-topic as this thread is about La Vagabonde and not about SV Curiosity
Old 24-06-2021, 11:10   #98
lyl

I like them. I wanna do what they do. Seems fun.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 11:55   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
+1
I would rather go sailing any day than watch YouTube videos.
I never understood why anyone would want to sit at home and watch someone else have fun when they can get out there and do it themselves.

S/V Finlandia
I usually watch them while I'm having my coffee in the morning, waiting for it to kick in. I doubt I'd have time to hop on a plane for a few hour flight to the ocean, and still be on time for work. Plus, I'd have to put on pants.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 12:33   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichungman View Post
__________________________________________________ _

I took my first look at GBU ; I see why you like it.
I’ll admit that I went for the bikini but then I completely fell in love with both of them. They are doing it on the cheap, but it’s for real you can tell. These are down home Florida kids and they put themselves on the line both on the web and in the water! They are both hot as hell, but my god Kristin can rock a bikini like none I’ve ever seen, anywhere, ever! And she’s just as pretty inside it turns out. They are adorable and genuine.

Surprised nobody has brought up the o’Kelleys yet. They are pretty polished and they make good content. He was a weather man and it’s funny to watch him with that frame work because his delivery is total weatherman lol. And they were high school sweethearts which is cute. No breeding on my channels, not interested in that fantasy lol.
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:21   #101

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1

La Vagabonde has completely sold out and is no longer interesting — I mean it’s just hard to watch, and I’m unsubscribed since they left the early days off of their monohull. Just went back to see about the Rapido 60 because it popped up in my feed, which is fascinating but not enough to stomach what they are peddling.

Christian Williams, Patrick Laine, … there is so much better content IMHO.

No idea who would give their money to these Youtubers through Patreon but I couldn’t do it!
Beneteau2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 01:22   #102

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

La Vagabonds are 2 very likeable people who tell it more or less like it is, more so than others. They don't push the bikini babe side, it is less bikini than I'm sure it is in reality on the boat so I think they go out of their way to tone it down. They have a technical interest in sailing and they change things up a bit.

Anyway, I don't find watching girls in bikinis a chore. I don't like the gratuitous flashing, it makes me feel a bit of a creep.

This new boat will be a cracker. It will be very interesting to see how OceanVolt manage this boat. If it doesn't work on this boat, OV pretty much don't have a market for any cruising boat after the Jimmy Cornell **. Hopefully they will get it right with some tweaking. I found OV dishonest years ago, and felt a bit smug when it failed for Jimmy. But now I'm hoping this will force OV to confront and meet reality. I wish them well because I want to see electric propulsion work without generators.

Why are La Vagabonde popular other than for the reasons above. Look at the long threads on here with hundreds of responses, the ones that promote passion in people. Being green, sailing upwind, sailing in light winds, weather routing, etc.. they have gone mono, cat, now tri. Something for everyone. While everyone thought the cat was still new they move on. Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/L-l6tHeseDY

I think he pointed to this movie once in their videos ��
Old 27-06-2021, 05:56   #103
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

"Anyway, I don't find watching girls in bikinis a chore. I don't like the gratuitous flashing, it makes me feel a bit of a creep"

Yes.....when beauty becomes primped booty as in the Doodles crap I find it repugnant
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 06:24   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

For a change of pace, may I recommend

http://www.thesimplesailor.com/index.html
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 18:11   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris