Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 17:05   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Lagoon 38 Gross & Net Tonnage?

Anyone have a USCG Documented (or similar registry) Lagoon 38 who can give me the registered gross and net tons?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 17:19   #2

Re: Lagoon 38 Gross & Net Tonnage?

Pretty much all of those that are USCG probably used "simplified" measurement and so are all over the place. You can see USCG values by entering the first five characters of the HIN in the USCG PSIX Search.

If I got it right the L38 would be "CNB38". A quick review of 180 returned vessels showed net starting about ~10 tons and gross as high as ~35 tons. None of those are going to be right, but those are the values that you get with simplified measurement. You could refine your search to a specific year/sub-model if you know the full HIN.

There are two that are documented in inspected passenger vessel service, one is simplified 10/11 and the other is simplified 27/34, with length and beam being within 0.1 feet.

If you want to refine your search to get values that should be closer to "correct", review the "depth" measurement listed. You'll see many that are the draft, but in USCG measurement speak the depth is actually the height from the deck to the bottom of the hull, and in these vessels is at least walking head room and a bit more. There's not a good way to search the database on that field, but if you see one that lists depth as "3.8'" you know someone mis-understood the form and put in draft. 7-8.5' is probably in the ballpark.

Quote:
Depth (D) is the vertical distance taken at or near amidships from a line drawn horizontally through the uppermost edges of the skin (outside planking or plating) at the sides of the hull (excluding the cap rail, trunks, cabins and deckhouses, and deck caps) to the outboard face of the bottom skin of the hull, excluding the keel.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 18:15   #3

Thanks Pippa. Im familiar w the simplified measurement, but in the boonies w poor internet so thanks for the search.

The specific vessel in question is State registered so cant search for it and Delaware registry does not require these numbers, but Galapagos entry paperwork does.
Old 22-02-2022, 22:09   #4

Well, in that case 20/25 seems a reasonable average of some sort, but if the fees increase substantially you could reasonably justify 12/15 on the basis of lots of (incorrect) entries in the CG database.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 04:21   #5

I dont think they actually use these data for anything. Just bureaucratic propogation of useless data (requiring inaccurate and meaningless tonnage to be calculated for recreational vessels in the first place is just an artifact of commercial vessel registration).
Old 23-02-2022, 04:40   #6

Boat: Adams 45

The USCG has a pdf form that lets you enter your simplified measurement data and computes the net and gross tonnage (displayed in the top-left corner of the form). The 2nd page defines the measurements. I would think that gets you close enough for your purposes.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...5397_03-21.pdf
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:40   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380

Ours is 14/13 with 8' depth.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 13:32   #8

Thanks!
Old 26-02-2022, 13:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
The USCG has a pdf form that lets you enter your simplified measurement data and computes the net and gross tonnage (displayed in the top-left corner of the form). The 2nd page defines the measurements. I would think that gets you close enough for your purposes.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...5397_03-21.pdf
Yeah, I was out in the boonies with sketchy internet connection when I first posted this...I could barely post a small text only message.
Old 26-02-2022, 14:03   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, I was out in the boonies with sketchy internet connection when I first posted this...I could barely post a small text only message.
Transport Canada requires a formal tonnage measurement on all catamarans with any structure (other than a deck) between the hulls.

PM me an email address and I'll forward a copy of all the tonnage documentation (redacted for Privacy) of the last Lagoon 38 that I measured, it was a 2014 model.

PS. I'm a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and IMO recognised.
Old 27-02-2022, 04:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Transport Canada requires a formal tonnage measurement on all catamarans with any structure (other than a deck) between the hulls.

PM me an email address and I'll forward a copy of all the tonnage documentation (redacted for Privacy) of the last Lagoon 38 that I measured, it was a 2014 model.

PS. I'm a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and IMO recognised.
Thanks for the offer, but I went with a SWAG based on the wide range of numbers posted.

Tags
lagoon