Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 09:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Lagoon 380 Under Contract - Stuff to Check?

I'm heading out Friday to sea-trial, survey, and personally inspect a Lagoon 380.

Anybody here have any specific advice on what to look for on the Lagoon 380?

It's a 2000 model with Volvo's.
Old 13-03-2014, 09:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Lagoon 380 Under Contract - Stuff to Check?

Original seacocks were chrome plated brass and skin fittings were brass.
Not much more than 5yr. life expectancy in salt water. Carefully check each and every one.
Old 13-03-2014, 10:51   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

By all accounts, they certainly seem to be one of the best Lagoons ever built. While Lagoons do not seem to be as susceptible to osmotic blistering as Fountaine-Pajots, they are not immune and I would certainly ensure that your boat is also hoisted for the survey so that the bottom (as well as the saildrives) can be inspected. Apart from that, some have suffered rot to the plywood sole in the saloon from leaking refrigeration units/plumbing. In addition, I believe that the original wiring was not tinned, so I would want particular care taken to ensure that all electrical systems function properly (and in general terms, to see if any splicing/repairs have already been required and, if so, that the color of the wiring matches the original).

I assume the diesels have hour meters - otherwise (or if they are over 5000 hours), I would certainly want compression and drip-down tests performed. Apart from the usual inspection for hull damage, deck delamination, running/standing rigging, lifelines, systems, etc., I would also take particular care inspecting the fixed and opening portlights and hatches. If they are original, they will almost assuredly need replacement (expensive) after that many years.

Good luck!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 13:45   #4

Good stuff here.

Do you really think all ports/hatches need replacing already, if they're original? I'm almost positive this hasn't been done, and that would be a fairly hefty expense. Which may lead to some not-so-fun negotiations and maybe even kill the deal...
Old 13-03-2014, 13:54   #5

Have you talked with the owner? Maybe ask for detailed records of maintenance or receipts for work done. If he says he did the work himself check for jerry rigged fixes or odd customizations. The boat is well outfitted for cruising so if all of that stuff works then you may not need to put much into it. I would operate all the equipment, including the water maker.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 13:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Have you talked with the owner? Maybe ask for detailed records of maintenance or receipts for work done. If he says he did the work himself check for jerry rigged fixes or odd customizations. The boat is well outfitted for cruising so if all of that stuff works then you may not need to put much into it. I would operate all the equipment, including the water maker.
Through the brokers, yes. But that's kind of a run-around and with language barriers and time-zone differences it's more trouble than it's worth.

On the other hand, we'll ask the owner all of the questions personally when we sea-trial it. We'll run all equipment during sea-trial, and ask for all maintenance records.
Old 13-03-2014, 14:39   #7

We own ours for 4 years let see what we learn

Saildrive oil not milky if so seal gone in lower leg

Open the wood panel in front of you when you come in (under mast)and look for any water intrusion, we never had but doesn't coat anything. Same under the banquette next to fridge you have cable coming down have a look.

Look at the rigging tension that will tell you if taken care off or not

Go to the yahoo lagoon owner group and get the file with more point about the 380

If you have any question send us an e-mail we will be happy to respond on 380 specific. for the rest it's a boat, so good luck.
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLetitgo View Post
We own ours for 4 years let see what we learn

Saildrive oil not milky if so seal gone in lower leg

Open the wood panel in front of you when you come in (under mast)and look for any water intrusion, we never had but doesn't coat anything. Same under the banquette next to fridge you have cable coming down have a look.

Look at the rigging tension that will tell you if taken care off or not

Go to the yahoo lagoon owner group and get the file with more point about the 380

If you have any question send us an e-mail we will be happy to respond on 380 specific. for the rest it's a boat, so good luck.
Great info, thanks! I just requested to join the group (why didn't I think of that earlier?).

Could I ask you for a favor? Any chance you could grab that document and shoot it to me? I'm leaving in a few hours to go survey the boat and am a little worried I won't be able to get it in time.

Either way, thanks for the info!
Old 13-03-2014, 16:01   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Just a word of friendly advice. You seem to be rushing this. You posted your question only a couple hours ago and now you are rushing out the door to the survey.

You know the saying …"Act in haste, regret at leisure." Take your time, you won't regret it.
Old 13-03-2014, 16:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just a word of friendly advice. You seem to be rushing this. You posted your question only a couple hours ago and now you are rushing out the door to the survey.

You know the saying …"Act in haste, regret at leisure." Take your time, you won't regret it.
Thanks for the concern.

We've done a preliminary survey and I've done the requisite homework. This post being a last-minute thought, making sure I'm covering my a$$ when I get onboard.

I'm on my way out soon, because the boat's been under contract for a while and I'm flying out of the country to sea-trial it. With my broker (been selling Lagoons for 20+ years) and the surveyor aboard for the sea-trial.
Old 13-03-2014, 19:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Saildrives....saildrives and Saildrives....

Our friends that cruised Mexico with us on a lagoon 380 (SV Just a Minute) were going through sail drive rebuilds like they were Jabsco head rebuilds!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 20:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Saildrives....saildrives and Saildrives....

Our friends that cruised Mexico with us on a lagoon 380 (SV Just a Minute) were going through sail drive rebuilds like they were Jabsco head rebuilds!
Yanmar or Volvo?
Old 13-03-2014, 20:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
Yanmar or Volvo?
Yanmar.
He kept a rebuilt saildrive under his port forward bunk for a quick swap out....no kidding.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 20:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Yanmar.
He kept a rebuilt saildrive under his port forward bunk for a quick swap out....no kidding.
I've heard those horror stories.

The boat in question has Volvo's. The tradeoff is the higher cost of maintenance for the Volvos.

Still a big part of my inspection. Thanks!
Old 13-03-2014, 21:09   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The cost of maintenance on the Volvos will not be any higher than that on the Yanmars. It will be much less expensive if you consider that the Volvo SD120/130 saildrives are far, far more robust and reliable than the Yanmar SD30/40/50's. The Yanmar SD20's are reliable, but the rest of Yanmar's saildrive models are pretty much crap.

Rich, I don't know how anyone could do a "quick swap out" of a saildrive. It would require pulling the boat.

Are engines/saildrive brands options on L380's? All that I have been on have had Volvo's.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract, lagoon, lagoon 380