Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 02:54   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Lagoon 400 worth and best selling method

Well I'm seriously thinking of selling my Lagoon 400. I have researched the net, Australian asking prices are quite varied the cheapest one I can find is a 2010, A$430K another 2010 at A$550K a S2 at A$499K. My L400 arrived in Melbourne in September 2010 on a container ship brand new with about 3 hours on the engines, this September will be it's four year anniversary here, a very brief overview is it has most options except a water maker including 7 KVA gen set air heating, engine hours 198. We have only used it in Port Philip Bay. Now I'm not using this forum as a advert just curious what others feel the best way to arrive at a fair asking price and is it best to handle the sale ones self or use a broker, the brokers are quoting between 5% and 7% of the sale price, one broker advised it is a big mistake to try and handle the sale yourself as no potential buyer wants to deal direct with the owner, now I find this hard to believe, so interested in your opinion on that statement. The cost of a quality advert on the net is about A$550.00 till sold, I am quite capable of answering the phone to a interested party, or replying to a email inquiry, and more than happy to walk some one over the craft, so how much, and is it best to handle the sale ones self, or is it better to go with a broker, what is your view.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:20   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Lagoon 400 worth and best selling method

Hi Peter,
How is sunny Melbourne? We sold our 380 privately last year through the cruisers forum. I would suggest trying some free sites for a while and maybe one of the larger international sites. I think some are only around $100
Most likely your buyer will be Aussie. Is the other 400 still for sale in docklands? I'd guess that would be a similar value. I'd suggest selling price would be around 10% less than asking! it's been on the market a while.
Selling paperwork is easy enough to arrange yourself.
Also many brokers will forego the commission when you are buying a boat through them, so if you have decided on your new boat and are happy with the price, discuss it with the broker. Ie, I'll order the boat if you list mine free
Obviously the benefit of not using a broker is you can share the savings with the buyer and both have a win/win situation with the 30k savings.
Also keep in mind with internet advertising today, most people buy houses, boats, cars etc after seeing it online. They don't go to brokers and ask what boats they have listed. It's most likely any enquiries will come from a website. Take some nice photos ( the one that was at docklands had excellent pics)
The Aussie dollar is in your favour for selling locally and the boat is Aussie registered and has gst and duty paid, so that's at least a 80k saving for anyone considering buying overseas and sailing back to aus.
So know your boats positives and share them with potential customers. I know from speaking with you in the past you love that 400 and there are no negatives, fastidious owner, low engine hours, highly speced plus all the extra add one you have added make it better than new.
If I wasn't typing from Portugal on our new L400 I would probably be in Melbourne working out a deal with you
Good luck on the sale and new boat (have you decided on one yet?)
Rob
P.s. We love our 400!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:11   #3

Hello Rob, thanks for your advice and thoughts. Sunny Melbourne!! it's flaming well freezing I'm quite sure Port Philip bay was frozen solid last night. Do you have the S2? same as the 400 with a interior make over I quite liked it but nothing wrong with the 400 non the less. Rob I went to the Sydney Boat Show last weekend and spend a lot of time on the Leopard 48 very impressed with the quality build and the good practical design, I also liked the Helia 44 but I don't think the steering station setup suits me with the winches set away from the wheel out of reach. Like you I love the L400 it really is all we would ever need, we can handle it fine and tons of room, and sails so well, however I have a itch to try something bigger, just maybe I might even venture out on the ocean, not too far mind you just a mile or so can't push one's luck you know. How are things in Portugal are you living on the L400.??
Regards Peter
Old 11-08-2014, 06:16   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes Peter, we just picked up the 400 in May. Headed South for the Canaries then across the Atlantic in November, staying on board full time till we get to Aus in a few years then beyond..no fixed plans yet
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:29   #5

Sounds fantastic Rob, I do hope you have a safe trip.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06   #6

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Most use brokers just like realtors because if there's any issues they will find them before money is exchanged. Tittle issues, leans ext. Unless you owe what's it worth you really want to parade a bunch of people on your boat and sell it to them. Had a friend try and sell his on his own and finally got a broker to do it for him and he got more than he was trying for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 14:47   #7

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Peter,
Last year we had to sell our mono prior to purchasing our present Lagoon 410. I initially went with the plan to sell it myself. What a pain in the posterior. I priced the boat very competitively for the mono market at the time. I had several calls in the first month and two sets of people coming to inspect the boat. On each occasion I was absolutely certain that each of these people were genuine lookers and in fact would put in an offer on the way they talked. Unbelievably both turned around and said they were really looking for a new boat but just wanted to see the boat with no intention of purchasing. Not happy . Total waste of my time so they can sit on a boat and enjoy a couple of hours on the water. I believe I asked all the right questions to weed out the hull kickers but apparently I was not prepared for the people who would tell you anything.
In the end it was taking up so much of my time and dealing with idiots who were never going to purchase I ended up going to a local broker. I negotiated a better brokerage fee and they dealt with all the time wasters and had the boat sold in three months. Best money I spent. Worth every cent.
I am not saying not to sell privately but be prepared to put up with the hull kickers, they will tell you anything.. I thought it was a good suggestion if thinking of buying a new Boat to go with that broker and do a deal. Win both ways.

Greg, Sue and Sea Dog.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:01   #8

Thanks Greg, Sue and Sea Dog, I think you have put up a very compelling reason not to use myself as a broker. Regards Peter
Old 13-08-2014, 03:12   #9
Marine Service Provider

Just thinking Peter, how did you sell your previous aircraft , did you use a broker? This isn't dis-similar I guess.

A friend is trying to sell his 50+ ft mono in Melbourne however he had to keep it at Sandringham because that's where the broker preferred... Cost a fortune in marina fees so he moved it over to Westernport. If you have a local broker then great but otherwise you wouldn't want this to happen.

Personally I start looking on websites, yacht and boat etc and given I'm local to Australia I don't feel the need for a broker. Brokers will have to drive prospective buyers to the boat or meet them there and go through the same troubles that you would, so in the end, do you want to spend your own time or pay for someone else's?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:25   #10

I think the response to my question gives the nod to the broker.
Old 13-08-2014, 05:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I know I'm biased but just consider this, whilst we advertise on every website known to humankind, of the last 10 used boats I have sold 3 were to people who we "found" by virtue of our external advertising, the other 7 were "internal" i.e. in our database ,may have looked at a similar boat previously etc or may simply have mentioned to me in the past that they were looking for a good Seawind/trimaran/widget or similar. You can advertise and get the 3 out 10. You won't necessarily get the other 7.

With new boats its even more extreme. We have a saying that the next sale we make is someone we already know.

If you do use a broker - make sure they know the difference between a multihull and their posterior. Also if you do use a broker make it worth their while in energy terms. list exclusively for three months, and tell them to get on their bike.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 14:20   #12

Thanks Factor, I think you have a good point, data base I do not have, however I would think anyone thinking of buying would always do a search on the net, it's a hard call I must say.
Old 06-09-2014, 00:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

Here's an aerial shot for you of this fine vessel PeterP....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marina.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	87804  
Old 06-09-2014, 02:28   #14

Thanks Ausaviater.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

It was an absolutely perfect day out today, both on the water and in the air... Once the fog cleared.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400