Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 11:08   #1

Lagoon 440 Reefing Line Setup Question

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2006 Lagoon 440 in La Paz and am sailing her back to NC. The previous owner removed the third reefing line and as I'm looking at replacing it, I've discovered that it can't be rigged the same way as the first and second reefing lines. There are not enough blocks in the top of the boom at the mast to rig it the same way those two are rigged. There are blocks on the underside of the boom but I'm not quite sure how it should be rigged using those.

Anyone have any details on how the third reefing line is supposed to be rigged? There are not details in the manuals I can find or any documentation on the vessel for this.

Thanks!
OhNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Lagoon 440 Reefing Line Setup Question

on end is reef 3
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:46   #3

Thanks!

Reef 1 and 2 are fastened to the boom near the end of the boom, then go up to a block on the sail, forward to a second block on the sail and down through an eye on the mast, to the foot of the mast, where the turn in blocks and go back to the deck organizer. The only way I see to run reef 3 is to fasten the line to the boom near the mast go up and through the blocks and then down to the end of the boom, through the boom back to the mast and then down to the foot of the mast through a block and back to the deck organizer. Is that how the third reef is typically rigged on this boat?

I just feel like I might be missing something and that maybe I've overlooked a simpler way to rig it.

Thanks!
Old 13-01-2022, 02:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

i don't understand what is complicated to you. how to work reef 1 work reef 3
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 04:37   #5

Oh, Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not wondering how to use the reefing lines. I know how to reef sails. There is not a 3rd reefing line installed on the sail. I am wondering how the 3rd reefing line is supposed to be run for the slab reefing this boat uses. There is no line there and no rigging hardware to run it, So I'm wanting someone who knows how the 3rd reefing line is supposed to be run on this system to explain how it is run differently than the first two. It is not possible to install a 3rd reef in the same fashion as the first and second, but this boat is meant to have 3 reefs. I have line, but no knowledge of how to install the 3rd reefing line, as it is not like the others. the hardware is not the same, there is no room ro run the third reefing line like 1 and 2.
Old 13-01-2022, 13:50   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

From your desription of your reefing system it may be able to be rigged the same as our L400:
Third reef line is attached to the sail at the leach .
Runs down to a block in boom at leach end.
Runs through boom to block at the mast end, then down to turn at deck blocks at mast base, then back thru deck organiser to helm.
Luff part of 3rd reef has a integral tape loop c/w stainless clip, that one clips into a either 1st or 2nd reef eye on the mast.

Notes:
You could tie line on boom and have block on leach end, same as reef 1& 2.
To enable smoother reefing, we have installed 70mm blocks at the tack end of reef 1 and 2, and also at the eyes on the mast.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 10:02   #7

Brilliant!!!!!!

Thank you so much @OldGreyB ! That makes perfect sense and sounds just like what I have on Orion. I'll try a couple of variations and see what works best.

I really appreciate the help!

Cheers,

nhj

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440