Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 15:02   #1

Boat: Considering a Lagoon Cat
Lagoon 450 - Buy New or Used?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have been reading with much interest many of the discussions.

It's my intention to purchase a Lagoon 450 before the end of this year. I'm in the UK but will berth the boat in the Canary Islands for the winter before heading to the Med in the spring. I will live aboard probably 80% of the year, and would like the owners version.

I have visited, tested and read so many articles on the 450 and I feel it the one for me. My question is - should I buy New with limited options, or should I buy a 1-2 year old model with a high spec/electrics? There is also the option of an ex-demo from 2012. Luckily my budget can afford me either option, but I don't want to overspend.

What are the pros/cons in your opinion, and what should I look out for?

Many thanks!!
Star219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:04   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Used with options,that way you would hope any bugs have been sorted out, you will probably want to add stuff as well.

Most 450 used will be in great shape.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:26   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Lagoon 450 - Buy New or Used??

Buy used and you will get a better deal without the new boat issues and bugs to work out.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24   #4

Thanks guys. That helps. I think I'll shop around for a well specced 2011/12 model. Makes more sense to get one that has all the issues sorted.
Old 12-06-2013, 15:59   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi,

Been reading theses forums for a while, but am not used to posting in forums, when I read this thread I had to ask a followup question:

Am taking possession of our new L450 in a few weeks, what problems (bugs) would you say are most common in a new one.
Jay Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 17:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Jay Kay, when buying any new yacht the first 6 months normally involve resolving a ton of minor little warranty items that always seem to pop up...

I would highly recommend hiring a surveyor to go through the entire boat for the handover... That way you can have a full report of warranty items to be addressed before the handover...

There are also other little items that will crop up with systems you add to the boat... Kinks that need to be worked out... Nothing major...

Where are you taking ownership of your boat?
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 18:48   #7
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Jay Kay, when buying any new yacht the first 6 months normally involve resolving a ton of minor little warranty items that always seem to pop up...

I would highly recommend hiring a surveyor to go through the entire boat for the handover... That way you can have a full report of warranty items to be addressed before the handover...

There are also other little items that will crop up with systems you add to the boat... Kinks that need to be worked out... Nothing major...
We'd agree with all that, altho perhaps not the "full report of warranty items" as we also hired a surveyor, but ended up finding a lot more warranty items afterward...and we're not so sure about "nothing major" either after our own experiences...

We'd also and especially agree with the buy second hand posts. Not only will you find much better value for important and very expensive items (like upgraded electronics and a genset) but there is a further question about value for warranty support anyway. There are many posts on CF and elsewhere suggesting the builders' poor reputation for warranty support, all of which leads to the view that a previous owner's efforts in working through the bugs will be much more valuable than the warranty.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:53   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Last year we bought a new Lagoon 380. Personally unless there was a substantial saving to be had by used, I would buy new. The bugs were minimal, less than anything you would find on an older boat. Lagoon have built a lot of boats for a long time, most of the bugs are ironed out by now. Any issues we had were minor and generally nothing that you wouldn't have on an older boat. I think its worthwhile to pay more for new as you have an additional 2yrs (against a 2 yr old boat)on most equipment till it needs replacement, sails, rigging, hardware, electronics, etc. Also the resale value will be higher. But how much more is up to you to decide. Second hand will likely come with all the safety gear and household stuff that you will need, but thats not a huge initial expense anyway and it's nice to buy new exactly what you want as well and again, it will all last longer before it needs replacing.
What sort of money do you think a new L450 is and a near new/used one?
Either way, I highly recommend you contact Javier at Catamarans Barcelona . He sells new and used Lagoons, speaks good English, is a really nice guy. and I and other customers I have met are very satisfied with his service.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 02:42   #9

Boat: MacGregor 26 M 2007

Hi all.
While on this topic. What is the pros. and cons. to bay a Lagoon at a charter company and what year model becomes to old to be worth it.

Renier ( in the same process as Star219 )

Love to hear from members that has been through the process and not just thoughts or guesses.
SKIPPER2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 02:54   #10

Hi Jay Kay,

I have been maintaining and upgrading our L450 over the last 18 months. I love the yacht and I expect it has the same minor teething problems any new yacht will have. Your configuration may be different but here is a very abbreviated list of what I have done to date including improvements:

Stack pack-weak and resewn with new bimini, added a shunt ammeter to show battery amps, smoke alarms, ratchet in gennaker furling line, replace hot water cylinder to dual coil and heat with eberspacher, ac sockets wrong and illegal for NZ, washing machine-no manual and machine in french, snap shackle on gennaker halyard, add rowlocks to highfield dinghy, cut hole in anchor channel at rear to allow draining, galvanic isolator, fix chain counter (read switch replace and vertical), a number of fresh water system leaks but easily fixed, floor board above holding tank outlet jamming, SAIL DRIVES were NOT anti fouled, remove plastic from bow lifelines, house batteries were not secure, shore power extension lead too short, battery charging via chargers and alternator is too low, add a block and jammer system so don't need to lean over the bow lifelines to attach gennaker, water in wind vane connection at top of mast, added rear steps and mast handrails, bungy cords on mast base blocks, door lock - dumb and difficult to use!, ratchet strops for under dinghy for longer trips.

PM me if you need any info,
Cheers
Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 03:39   #11

Thanks for the replies

We will be taking our boat directly from La Rochelle in France.
The warranty was an important factor in buying new, that, the fact that we could have the options we wanted (that cat is all about options) and living on a boat that will grow with us as we spend time together. I've always felt that you need to tinker with a new boat to make it your own.
DavefromNZ, thank you for you detailed reply, I must say, having spent some weeks already on a L450 I agree with most of you add-ons, as for the survey, we will be sailing to the med (la grande motte) from La Rochelle with the agent from Lagoon, where we will be making a few modifications to the boat, am expecting also to address initial issues during that trip.
Since we will be heading to the Red Sea after that, I am hoping to get as much as possible done, and to be prepared for eventual break downs where there will not necessarily be a Beneteau operation within reach.
Old 13-06-2013, 05:59   #12

Jay Kay - good luck with picking the boat up. t must be an amazing feeling. I'll need to keep in touch with your progress.

Monte - thanks for the comments. These things have crossed my mind too. I always buy my cars brand new and choose the extras I want, and have a better feeling that it has been mine from new. With the purchase of a L450, its a lot more money and my main concern was whether I'd have to spend time frustrated trying to resolve warranty issues (which from the forum appears to be a constant issue). Your comments have made me think a bit differently!

My cost expectation (inc Tax) is 500k Euros for up to a 2yo or up to 600k Euros for a new model with nice extras to make it easier to live aboard and handle with only 2 people (electric pack etc).
Old 13-06-2013, 06:58   #13

We did take a LOT of extras for the comfort of living aboard and all electric winches as we are only my wife and I competent sailors, the cost excl. taxes was around 540k euros.

I'll try to keep posting here from here on, as I said, am not very at ease with posting in forums.
Old 13-06-2013, 17:24   #14
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kay View Post
We will be taking our boat directly from La Rochelle in France...we will be sailing to the med (la grande motte) from La Rochelle with the agent from Lagoon, where we will be making a few modifications to the boat, am expecting also to address initial issues during that trip...(and) we will be heading to the Red Sea after that...
Good luck on your exciting new vessel and venture! We wish you fair winds and following seas.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 01:03   #15
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Lagoon 450 - Buy New or Used?

BTW, have a read through this thread for lots of info on the 450 if you havn't already
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-70969.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon