Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 14:01   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Lagoon 450 Mast/Rig - Irma Damage

Does anyone know if it's possible to acquire a complete build spec for a Lagoon 450? I know most, if not all, of the information is in the documents that were shipped with the boat, but don't have access to them at this time. I have searched the Web and contacted Lagoon to no avail.

I'm asking because my L450 was dismasted in Hurricane Irma, and I'd like to start considering my options for a new rig, and also understand how long it will take to source the new mast/boom, and whatever else she needs.

I have a surveyor on the ground in the BVI, and expect some additional information within the next several days. Perhaps I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm sure that most of you can understand my desire to move the process forward in any way possible.

Incidentally, my boat was hauled and sand screwed at Nanny Cay for the hurricane season, which is why she fared as well as she did, and I can even ask this question.

Thanks.
D-Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:59   #2

Re: Lagoon 450 Mast/Rig - Irma Damage

Quote "I know most, if not all, of the information is in the documents that were shipped with the boat, but don't have access to them at this time."

Might be easier to help you if you explained what specific info you actually require?

There are lots of us out here with L450's with original supplied documentation that are more than happy to help if we can.

Remember that Lagoon do not make the Rig they only fit, it is supplied to them as a complete kit of parts from OEM. (in my boats case Z-Spar).

Were your sails removed and OK or have they been damaged as well?

You own an expensive Production Multihull, replacing the rig with anything but OEM type equipment, will have implications on it's value down the track. IMHO.

Sorry for your damage, good luck with the repair process.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

Along with Paul, glad to assist but please advise what specifically you need.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 21:20   #4

Thanks Paul and Emerald,

The sails and all canvas were removed and stowed for hurricane season.

I'd like to know who manufactured the mast, boom, spreaders, etc., as I suspect it may take a while to source those parts - so I'd like to get them ordered ASAP.

Not sure what else I need at this point, but I do know the entire rig was destroyed.

I'm sure I'll know more once I get Geoff's report.

Thanks again.
Old 15-09-2017, 22:22   #5

This is by no means a shopping list for you, but some things that will need to be considered with the info I have to hand at present. Just considering mast/boom c/w all fittings, standing and running rigging

This is not the sort of stuff that is laying around on the shelf waiting for some one to purchase. It is made/assembled to order.

Assuming you can order exactly what you need today and can get some one to freight it from USA/Europe/UK to BVI on a ship, how long before the infrastructure and skilled labor is available to do something with it for you. Not trying to be negative but just looking from the outside in. Goodluck

Z-Spar

1 x L450 Mast complete with spreaders and all provisions for halyard hardware.
1 x L450 Boom complete with all hardware
1 x Forestay 16mm x 18.66 mt
2 x Upper Shrouds 16mm x 17.64 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Lower Shrouds 12mm x 10.94 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Diamond Upper 12mm x 9.98 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Diamond Lower 12mm x 10.25 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters

1 x Headsail furler assembly including twin track foil

Wind instrument sensors plus wiring
Mast Head Light plus wiring installed
Deck Light plus wiring installed

VHF Antenna plus wiring installed

Radar plus wiring (If fitted) installed

Plus full set of running rigging installed as required.

All the halyards and electrics need to be installed in mast prior to mast install.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 02:27   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Shipping to the islands right now could be a problem right now, my guess is a month or 2 or even more, also you should check the condition of your rigging nearby shop and see if they can open bussines or not, mine in SXM is destroyed, cranes are out of business, parts etc... is going to take for a while,,, 80 % or 90% of the boats in the islands loose the masts, masts stored in racks for storage are damage as well, if its me i can contemplate the idea to make a straight run to Martinique under engines if you are in a hurry to remast your boat. Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:25   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Vector View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to acquire a complete build spec for a Lagoon 450?

I'm asking because my L450 was dismasted in Hurricane Irma, and I'd like to start considering my options for a new rig, and also understand how long it will take to source the new mast/boom, and whatever else she needs.
Glad to hear that Solicitude survived with relatively little damage. My first thought would be to check whether there were any 450 rigs that survived Irma where the boat they belonged to was less fortunate. I saw one or two stacks of de-stepped masts in the photos of BVIs after Irma. Perhaps worth talking to any charter companies with 450's on their books.

Chris
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:45   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The information that you get from your surveyor is likely the 1st step in the process. Since, given that the rig was destroyed, there could quite possibly structural damage to the boat. Starting with the mast step, chainplates, & cross beam. Plus everything which they attach to. As the loads on them during a dismasting could have been enormous, so they may need rebuilding. Or perhaps new chainplates, & chainplate bolts to be safe. Ditto all of the rigging components of your crossbeam, & it's critical fasteners. And all of the above might take as long or longer to fix than it takes to get a new spar & rigging. Especially as the shipping of food, medical supplies, & housing materials, etc. to the islands will take priority over boat bits.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 08:51   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

US Spars is part of Z Spars. On their website they have the stock parts for the Lagoon 42, 47 and 410. If you contact them I'll bet they can help.
Boat Information | US Spars Inc
Old 16-09-2017, 09:26   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

Glad to hear you have a boat to return to at Nanny Cay. My boat, Perseverance II, was also in the crowd on the hard at Nanny Cay and miraculously is upright. I too have been demasted and will be going thru the same process. I wish you luck.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 12:59   #11

Thanks, PaulinOz for the detailed information, and everyone else who has responded.

I agree that UNCIVILIZED has some good points vis-a-vis the mast step and other structural issues that will likely need to be addressed.

My plan has been to move Solicitude to PR for repairs ASAP, but at this point I'm in a holding pattern pending the survey to verify her seaworthiness. I'm also waiting for my insurance carrier to mobilize.

Incidentally, I have included a post-Irma photo of Solicitude at Nanny Cay in my profile album. The shot is a still taken from some recent drone footage that was posted to YouTube.

Bjymd, good luck with your rig.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the helpful posts.
Old 17-09-2017, 01:21   #12

Given the fact that another Storm is/could be heading that way, wouldn't leaving it strapped down where it is for now be the most sensible ? If it were my boat, I don't think I'd be putting it in the water as yet, unless I was sure could get it right out of the zone.

This hurricane season appears far from over, unfortunately for many.

Best of luck with your repairs.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 10:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Given the fact that another Storm is/could be heading that way, wouldn't leaving it strapped down where it is for now be the most sensible ? If it were my boat, I don't think I'd be putting it in the water as yet, unless I was sure could get it right out of the zone.

This hurricane season appears far from over, unfortunately for many.

Best of luck with your repairs.

Regards

Mark.
Agreed. For now she'll stay put (not that I have much choice). I have contacted Z-Spar for some cost/lead time information.

From the photos I have seen, it appears that Solicitude moved a little, as the hurricane straps are no longer taught. Not sure what this might mean if Maria makes landfall in the BVI. However, far more importantly, I wonder how a second hurricane would affect the people of the BVI and the future of their country. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that Maria steers clear of all the Caribbean Islands.
Old 18-09-2017, 12:36   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450, 45'10"

My 450, Pura Vida, was also among the cats on the hard at Nanny Cay. It is reported that, for the most part, she is OK. A boat behind and to her starboard flipped and the bow pulpit caught our starboard stern. We have some fiberglass damage.

My mast is standing. I have an early 2015 model that has two shrouds on each side rather than one. They apparently switched to one per side later in the model year. I wondered if having one stay on either side with upper and lower diamond stays would be as strong. Do you know how your 450 was rigged?
tdetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:43   #15

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

"Z-Spar

1 x L450
Mast complete with spreaders and all provisions for halyardhardware.
1 x L450 Boom complete with all
hardware
1 x Forestay 16mm x 18.66 mt
2 x Upper Shrouds 16mm x 17.64 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Lower Shrouds 12mm x 10.94 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Diamond Upper 12mm x 9.98 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters
2 x Diamond Lower 12mm x 10.25 mt plus 2 sets tension adjusters

1 x Headsail
furler assembly including twin track foil"

Being new to sail bots, approx. what would a rig like this cost? 30k? $40k? More? Once insurance surveyor/ assessor totals my boat, I'll be crunching the #'s to see if it's worth bringing back.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, mast