Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2015, 00:52   #61

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'
Re: Lagoon 52, think twice before purchasing it

We spend about 20K Euros to do a refit on an Aluminuim 56 sailing boat. The yard was recommanded as the best one in Canet-en-Rousillon. It happend exactly the same... They were late, I payed the marina 1 month more and get big problems after leaving the marina... with ALL what they did. For example brand new Mastervolt Genset was out of work after 199 hours. Mastervolt changed the genset under warranty, but we had to wait and pay for the marina in Las Palmas 3 month. In Panama we give our Volvo to local recommanded local service center. We could leave Shelterbay Marina after 366 days (yes you read well). Reaction from Volvo came very, very late and I don't know what they did for us. Finally I revieved all needed parts "for free". No answer on my questions about paying 1 year marina and lost of time and problems in the couple. I had to deal with the local Volvo tech and my wife. Not easy. One of my friends told me : "You are in the sun and they will stay working upon the end of their lifes". The yard in Canet is closed. Volvo Panama fired all employees fron the marine division. What I learned : don't let do any work if you are not on board. Expect Nothing from warranty once you leaved "civilised countries". Today we are out of these problems and are happy again.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 01:31   #62

Just wondering if anybody has recently purchased a new french built yacht that managed to negotiate any element of retention in the contract, and if so what level and for how long or what requirements met.

I tried but was told by dealers full payment before boat leaves the factory.

Uk law certainly does offer fairly good consumer protection but if you sued a dealer for full refund on a 1million euro yacht how many would have the ability to pay!

And has been mentioned before do not fix any warrenty item yourself or with your agent/contarctor, without full factory approval as if you do, forget any further help an these items.

Lastly the large manufacturers are very experienced in managing disaster boats to ensure minimum cost to themselves, don't think you can fight them easily.

Regards
Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 03:56   #63
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Wow it seems like LETS KICK LAGOON month👎

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 17-10-2015, 03:58   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVrider44224 View Post
Coming from a commercial/industrial background, I learned LONG ago not to offer bonuses.
We did include fines based on missed, agreed upon, delivery dates and quality.
Not sure how/if it would transfer to this industry, but you'd be surprised how efficient entities can get when face with a $1000 a week fine.
Generally, (late) schedule penalties are paired with (early) bonuses.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 04:21   #65

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Take a quick look at my post “Good Service " for a different way of doing things.
I also purchased a Pdq 36 new the only issue has been with the mast which Seldon resolved in the first month . Still sailing her 12 years later
I should state that my brother was President of PDQ
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 05:07   #66

Has anyone had similar issues with Catana?
sjaversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 05:41   #67
cruiser

Still wondering what issues the OP has had with his Lagoon 52. Big structural mechanical or small nagging little stuff like software and fit and finish items. We see many of these large Cats in the Med, it's hard to believe all the owners and charter companies are suffering the same fate.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 07:11   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Wow it seems like LETS KICK LAGOON month👎

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Really?

Lagoon has only been doing this kind of stuff for a month?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 08:24   #69

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgreenbank View Post
Just wondering if anybody has recently purchased a new french built yacht that managed to negotiate any element of retention in the contract, and if so what level and for how long or what requirements met.

I tried but was told by dealers full payment before boat leaves the factory.
I also was forced to pay in full up front but given that the dealer has a % margin I realised that I should have paid the factory in full but held back on the dealers margin to give me some leverage. Think that most of us tend to only buy one new yacht so we learn the hard way. However to give the Australian FP dealer credit, once he copped several ear fulls from dissatisfied clients he then arranged on subsequent deliveries for one of his staff to be on site to facilitate the process in La Rochelle and that seems to have worked better. It also seemed that being able to speak French is a huge advantage.

Don't think it is particularly knock Lagoon week. Just seems incredible that for these very high ticket items there are a lot of new boat clients who have very bad experiences.

TwT
Old 17-10-2015, 08:47   #70

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

CDS2, I shivered when I read your post about a year in Panama awaiting resolution of your Volvo problem. The other thing that made me smile was dealing with them and the wife...he he he...very true issues when being robbed of time and monies. Women are not as patient or so kindly to these types of insults. Thanks for sharing your story.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 08:49   #71

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Admiral, thanks for the disclosure. u a good guy...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 09:31   #72

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I wonder if the complexity that the purchasers are asking for has driven the market for and please note the quotes“ affordable ” boats to the point where if manufacturers try to put on the latest in hydraulic bum wipers that they can't keep up the quality of what they do at a acceptable price. You might think that a million euros is enough but purhaps not.
I asked the price of a moderately equipped Outremer 45 and was told about 500,000 € but you could see the quality everywhere.
If anyone knows where I can get a good price on the aforementioned “bumwiper” let me know
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:58   #73
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lagoon 52, think twice before purchasing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Really?

Lagoon has only been doing this kind of stuff for a month?

Not everyone is unhappy with Lagoon as l did NOT sign the acceptance forms from my agent for several months whilst l ensured the boat lived up to what l paid for.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 17-10-2015, 11:04   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
CDS2, I shivered when I read your post about a year in Panama awaiting resolution of your Volvo problem. The other thing that made me smile was dealing with them and the wife...he he he...very true issues when being robbed of time and monies. Women are not as patient or so kindly to these types of insults. Thanks for sharing your story.

You bring up a good point.

I have personally witnessed at least 3 incidents where we were dealing with a bureaucrat or law enforcement, one of the guys let his wife handle it, and they intuitively knew what buttons to push to make the guy not only bend to her will, but apologize profusely for his original mistake.

In every instance I felt deep down that we were not going to get our way, but to see these women use their finely honed skills from raising their husbands and children to shame them into doing the right thing - it was truly amazing! To watch a raised eyebrow, hands on the hips, or just straight up lecturing like only a mother can do to her 5 yr old child accomplish so much brought a chill up my spine.

I'd say take a lesson from those guys and don't let your wife beat you up about the condition of the yacht and the price you paid. Let her beat THEM up about it.

Schedule a meeting with the highest ranking Lagoon management that you can get, write up a prioritized list of what's wrong with the yacht, wind her up and let her at 'em! "Hell hath no fury..." has more than a little basis in fact. Any divorced man can vouch or that. They can and do easily dismiss the anger and complaints of a male customer, but not so a righteously indignant woman.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 12:30   #75

It's too bad in this day and age that you pay the big bucks for a newly manufactured item like this new boat and you end up getting treated like a second class citizen. First you get sold a bill of goods from the builder how they use the latest in techniques including robotics to ensure that these new boats meet these new standards and then after you write the check you are expected to put up with long lists of workmanship that don't even meet minimal standards. Then to really finish you off you are told to reduce your expectations because the experience you are having is not abnormal and is to be expected. All I can add is that I have empathy for you as you go through this crappy experience in dealing with this builder.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, purchasing