Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 00:55   #1

Lagoon 52S - 27.2 kn

Condomaran handles not bad at all!

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 01:52   #2

Re: Lagoon 52S - 27.2 kn

Sometimes the max speed recorded didn't really happen. My NSS12 shows a Max of 655 knots.

The 9 knot average isn't bad though.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 05:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yeah------ but you would have been using both engines.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 12:18   #4

Boat: Pogo 10,50
Lagoon 52S - 27.2 kn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yeah------ but you would have been using both engines.

Probably even more to go 655 :P
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 13:13   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I've been watching their video series. They really are nice and the new Lagoon is pretty sweet. But I agree, there is no way they were going that fast. My guess is their gps is set for instant reading and the pitch of the boat accelerated the sensor quickly. Maybe it's up the mast.
Old 16-04-2017, 13:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As mentioned it's a gps artifact not real speed. But still very impressive handeling from a large cat in severe conditions.

My max instant speed on my A-Cat is still 57.1kn... I think I was anchored at the time.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:08   #7

Please STOP posting videos of Lagoon/Condomaran/Charter Barges unless they conform to and go towards proving the generally accepted (by some members) norm.

They are incapable of forward motion unless at least one engine is running.

Because it is just totally impossible for a 32 ton boat surfing down waves in 50+ knots of wind to do that speed. (I know this because My own instruments are not accurate "You CANNOT be serious!")

Any figures given must be certified by The Guinness Book of records.

Come on guys it all just sounds a bit petty from all of you. You are capable of incite full, intelligent remarks, don't drop down to the level of the common trolls.

See the post for what it really is, a good video of some ones boat handling some quite varied and challenging conditions in The Med. They come out the other end safe and well, with some new, well found respect for their vessel of choice, which they want to share with others.

It is just that simple.

I for one thank them for sharing the video and wish them all the best for their future in sailing.

: thumb::t humb:

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post

Come on guys it all just sounds a bit petty from all of you. You are capable of incite full, intelligent remarks, don't drop down to the level of the common trolls.

See the post for what it really is, a good video of some ones boat handling some quite varied and challenging conditions in The Med. They come out the other end safe and well, with some new, well found respect for their vessel of choice, which they want to share with others.

It is just that simple.

I for one thank them for sharing the video and wish them all the best for their future in sailing.
Thanks for positive comment ) That's exactly my thinking - nice people, nice boat (yes, I'm a bit jealous that they were able to afford brand new boat built for them exactly the way they wanted), it's simply pleasant to watch and that's tiny bit of pleasure I wanted to share with you.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:45   #9

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Great video,

The fact that they still decided to set sail when the forecast was over 50 knots shows they have a lot of confidence in the boat. Will keep them on my YT watch list as looks like they have some great videos.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:46   #10

Quote:
Please STOP posting videos of Lagoon/Condomaran/Charter Barges unless they conform to and go towards proving the generally accepted (by some members) norm.

Because it is just totally impossible for a 32 ton boat surfing down waves in 50+ knots of wind to do that speed. (I know this because My own instruments are not accurate "You CANNOT be serious!")

It is just that simple.

There's no need to get all worked up. I simply stated a fact. I have essentially the same chart plotter, and sometimes it shows a maximum speed that simply didn't happen. Or do you really think we managed 655 knots?

The average is accurate though, and 9 knots is good, and I said so.
Old 16-04-2017, 14:58   #11

"There's no need to get all worked up."

I am not worked up, but just for second, imagine that the video was instead, a home built, light weight, dagger boarded Schionning or similar vessel doing exactly the same thing.

Would you and Factor have responded the same way?

No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question.

Happy Easter guys.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 15:30   #12

Quote:
"There's no need to get all worked up."

I am not worked up, but just for second, imagine that the video was instead, a home built, light weight, dagger boarded Schionning or similar vessel doing exactly the same thing.

Would you and Factor have responded the same way?

No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question.

Happy Easter guys.
The answer is obvious. I've been pointing out false maximum speed readouts on MY home built, lightweight boat! Which has the same chartplotter.

I also had a 25+ knot Max speed, which again I doubted.

And you apparently ignored the fact that I said it MAY not have happened. Not that it absolutely couldn't have.

And really - if you saw the same top speed, say 40 knots, claimed by Banque Populaire and a Westsail 32, wouldn't you find one more likely to have happened than the other?
Old 16-04-2017, 15:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:

It is just that simple.

Good lord.... on one hand we have a very very common phenomena of extrodinary peak speeds from GPS' due to the area of uncertainty from any given fix. It's so common, I haven to eliminate about one such peak speed per hour of sailing from my data logger. It I simply routine to see peak speeds at double or more the speed millisecond size on either side of the peak. This is why's peak speeds 3-10 times the mean speed are common.

On the other hand we have a claim that a boat with very well known and conservative performance was reaching speeds close to or faster than an America's Cup 50 on foils...

Saying the boat was surfing down waves doesn't help much. Waves that size simply don't move that fast. To find a wave traveling at 27kn you need a wave height of around 50'. The waves shown were high, but nowhere close to that.

I am not criticizing how the boat handled, or performed. But you obviously do not understand how GPS peak speed works, or why it I simply never seen as a reliable measure of anything. It is so unreliable that no one accepts is as meaningful. Top 100' average speed is the shortest measure anyone will consider.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:14   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Thanks for posting the video. Enjoyed seeing the big boat do well in some serious conditions.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 16:27   #15

Boat seems extremely well balanced.
There is no indication that the helm needs continual correction.
No drogues?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon