Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 09:45   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Lagoon 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms View Post
This landed in my email today, maybe a bit much?

Where's the crew quarters?
Where's the crew?
Who was lookout while they were making out underway?
Where do you store the plane when underway?
Why aren't the corners of the foldout deck rounded?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 10:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Even if I had 10 mio USD to be spent on a boat, this would never be my pick. I want to be the captain of my boat and be able to single handle her. You would need min. 3 people to run this boat.
I can understand people asking for this time of boat, the thing that I don't understand why a sail boat ? This is a 57 tons of light displacement boat (loaded for cruising 63-65 tons..) with a 335 sqm of sails..
You would need min 20-25 kts of true wind to make this monster move and I'd doubted that the owner would even consider going out in this kind of weather..As a matter of fact, 2.800 liters of fuel tanks are foreseen as a standard.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 10:55   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i cant even start imagining what reaction will this video provoke in monohull devoteees community.
Why always imagining that there will be a reaction, positive or negative? Sailboats are sailboats and that one is a nice one even if i have some difficulty in understanding why a family, like the one pictured on the video, needs all that space, even if money is not clearly the problem.

We all know that multihulls, for the same quality and length are considerably more expensive than monohulls and offer considerable more space.

If someone was all the money he needs and prefers luxury monohulls, there are plenty of them with 100ft and more, beautiful boats also. In fact there is a much bigger offer in what regards that due to a bigger demand, meaning that the ones that want and can afford that kind of boats prefer monohulls to multihulls.

Tomorrow may be the opposite but why always make this opposition between different types of sailboats?

Look for instance to this one:

and it goes so much better upwind and in light wind
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:42   #19

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Icon A5?

well looks like it anyways.
Thanks! I was hoping it was an ultralight, but now I see the passenger seats in the photos of the icon. Thanks again!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:59   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Nice styling. Should do well on the Med charter scene.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 05:01   #21

Yes, it can take a lot of guests. Certainly much better than a Goleta, the typical big med charter boat (cabins).

Regarding cats and style I like a lot more this one (make a post about it on my blog):

One of the characteristics of truly well designed boats is that they don't look big due to being very well proportioned. Looking at this picture who would say that is a 68ft cat?
Old 19-12-2016, 05:24   #22

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

@Pollux;this one looks way better and is cheaper too,not extremly light either.
JFA built 85 ft

or this one,OQS 60,a bit expensive though..but we are not being rational anyways in this thread..

Merry xmas everyone!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:05   #23

Who can be rational about beauty. Beauty is for feeling not to thought about it

I like more the last one, even if I like more the French gunboat, but while beautiful yachts are being posted on the thread who cares about being rational? or them being monohull or multihull? they are all sailboats!

By the way that Gunboat and the Lagoon are designed by the same team: VPLP

But keeping a good spirit is another thing.

Merry Christmas to you and all.
Old 19-12-2016, 08:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks! I was hoping it was an ultralight, but now I see the passenger seats in the photos of the icon. Thanks again!
That's a Seamax, not an Icon. The seamax is a 2 seater ultralight (LSA in the US)
itnem80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnem80 View Post
That's a Seamax, not an Icon. The seamax is a 2 seater ultralight (LSA in the US)
Thanks for the further clarification! I've just started looking at recreational flight as a hobby, so still not sure if I'll go for the sport pilot credential or just go straight ultralight (no passengers, very limited aircraft types). But beautiful planes like that feed the dream!
Old 19-12-2016, 13:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks for the further clarification! I've just started looking at recreational flight as a hobby, so still not sure if I'll go for the sport pilot credential or just go straight ultralight (no passengers, very limited aircraft types). But beautiful planes like that feed the dream!
Brownoarsman, Go ahead and get your private pilot license over a sport. Not very much time or money over a sport and you can do so much more.

Just this weekend, My wife and I flew from West Palm Beach over to Tampa where my son and his family are stationed in the Air Force to deliver Christmas presents. By car this is a minimum 3.5 hour drive, and usually closer to 4.

We were there in 50 minutes in a turbo 182. Spent the day, flew back home. In a light sport the flight would have taken 1.5 hours at least, but you can't fly at night, IFR or with more than 1 passenger. I was able to take my 5 year old grandson up on his first flight (sitting in his dad's lap) Couldn't do that with a light sport.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:14   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnem80 View Post

All I know was I cringed when I saw the nose wheel down.
There are very, very few sport pilots, reason is it makes no sense. Stupid rating as is LSA. I knew LSA was a joke when they didn't let C-152's in, a better trainer has never been built.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:53   #28

Thanks for the further thoughts, Sheldon and a64! I'm mostly interested in doing some slow and low flying around the Chesapeake (outside of the DC exclusion zone), at least for right now, which seems like the purpose for ultralights and sport piloting. But I understand planes are somewhat like boats; get one, and right away you want something bigger and faster!
I was actually originally trading the sailing in for a small powerboat, but then these airboats/floatplanes caught my eye and I thought I'd be able to satisfy my desire to see more of the Bay, faster, for about the same cost as buying and operating a runabout (obviously that price means the seamax and icon are out, but seareys are in, and there is a searey rental place close by).
Chesapeake sport pilots are doing an open seminar/sales pitch in early January, so planning on getting my feet wetter​ then!
Thanks again for your advice, and I'll let you know how it goes. Even if I don't do the full private pilot rating right away, I understand the sport pilot can be a stepping stone up to the real thing. I may get there, though if I knew I was going to pay out of pocket for it, I would have given more thought to joining the service ...!
Old 20-12-2016, 10:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
That sounds not very optimistic.
And he's correct, you can buy 3 year old Lagoon 620 with mind blowing features and updates for $0.9-1M, which sounds absolutely crazy. Has anyone seen one of these? Are they THAT bad? I mean - I don't mind it to be a project, the only question is - how big is that project?
A friend of an acquaintance's brother has one,and he's not happy at all.
Lots of ongoing electrical issues,leaks,things falling off,and he said it was too flexible-which would explain the problems.
Whether or not this is the exception,or the rule-don't know but it's enough to keep us away.
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
A friend of an acquaintance's brother has one,and he's not happy at all.
Lots of ongoing electrical issues,leaks,things falling off,and he said it was too flexible-which would explain the problems.
Whether or not this is the exception,or the rule-don't know but it's enough to keep us away.
That's sad. Electrical stuff can be sorted out, but if it's not rigid enough and/or has leak related problems, not good at all. Still, I'll try to do more research on this - how serious are the problems and can they be sorted out at all.
BTW, most 620s have galley down, along with some other nice features.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon