Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 06:18   #286

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Lagoon bulkheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
...I gather from your reply that applying top skin is tricky part as this skin will have to counter twisting forces, hence large area should be freed and used to bond skin to existing one. Ideally from both sides of skin if that is at all possible.
No, I don't think that is necessary, simply replace the top skin which was removed. I try to preserve the top skin when I remove it and then put it back on with strong coved joints. I just didn't see him doing that. Probably just not included in the video.
Old 18-09-2022, 21:57   #287

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all, well its been an interesting thread. To date the last two videos by Saling Nahoa have been posted on Youtube and personally I am somewhat bewildered and intrigued by what has occurred. From what I have seen, and please correct me if I am wrong but, the only issue that was identified was water ingress into the core which was repaired by the owner adjacent the sliding door. , To date no mention of broken bulkheads or any mention of broken bulkheads has raised its head. So does this mean there were no broken bulkheads. It appears Nohoa is on the verge of leaving the Seyshelles to continue its journey. While I am aware that the team from Nohoa have been in contact with Lagoon I find it would have been great had they kept everyone appraised with the outcome given their great and detailed concern. Any one else find this unusual given their high profile.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 23:33   #288

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello all, well its been an interesting thread. To date the last two videos by Saling Nahoa have been posted on Youtube and personally I am somewhat bewildered and intrigued by what has occurred. From what I have seen, and please correct me if I am wrong but, the only issue that was identified was water ingress into the core which was repaired by the owner adjacent the sliding door. , To date no mention of broken bulkheads or any mention of broken bulkheads has raised its head. So does this mean there were no broken bulkheads. It appears Nohoa is on the verge of leaving the Seyshelles to continue its journey. While I am aware that the team from Nohoa have been in contact with Lagoon I find it would have been great had they kept everyone appraised with the outcome given their great and detailed concern. Any one else find this unusual given their high profile.

Ozsailer
No, no broken bulkheads. They were checked in another episode. Lagoon came back and said it is due to that rot that boat started twisting, say, when going upwind. His repair should address that. But want to really see if such small issue can cause so much twist. Hope he will show results of fix while sailing.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 11:03   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
i'd avoid any boats which behave like wet sponges, but YMMV. I wouldnt take a free lagoon at this point much less pay for one.
If you come across a free one, please, please, please send it my way!
LostatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 12:29   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostatC View Post
If you come across a free one, please, please, please send it my way!
That won’t work, it will fall apart before reaching you
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 15:29   #291

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
hahahha, antilagoon CF own pupils getting frustrated as there is no new bashing story on lagoon bulkheads.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 10:31   #292

Boat: CL14 #1179

heres a video of the patch kit, gluing in pieces of plywood over the existing bent bulkheads, incredible.

Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 12:30   #293

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
Easier to flat pack post.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 03:48   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Actually, Colin noticed it en route to Panama Canal when his shrouds suddenly loosened up. He likely would have lost the rig if it had happened through the canal en route to South Pacific. I think that’s pretty serious.
Exactly !
davidwebber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 17:24   #295

Boat: Lagoon 410

I have a lagoon 410 2002. I have not seen any problems with the hull. I just had all new thruhull fittings installed last winter plus new bottom paint. What exactly are you talking about when you refer to bulkheads? I went over every inch of the bottom and it was all solid.

Rich
Richardw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 17:36   #296

Is a doorway on the interior considered a bulkhead? That's funny
Old 10-01-2023, 18:05   #297

These boats were not made to be veendee globe boats. These are production cats and if you buy one not realizing that then you have not done your homework. I will say I have have upgraded and replaced almost everything on mine. I'm lucky to have a full machine shop and an engineering background in my favor. It's been frustrating at times but I'm now at a point where I'm really enjoying the boat.

Rich
Old 10-01-2023, 18:10   #298

I sailed her from key largo to New Jersey all on the outside and the boat performed well. 1100 miles through some pretty bad weather.
Old 10-01-2023, 19:21   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
heres a video of the patch kit, gluing in pieces of plywood over the existing bent bulkheads, incredible.

I have been following Sailing Dauntless for years. They are incredible people, and I give them a thousand "great works" for their efforts. Great videos, incredible family.

They showed the fix for bulkhead issue that was supplied by Lagoon. The fix is to add strength to the bulkhead at the point where the flaw is visible. I really cannot say if this will fix the real problem or not. The real problem is the poor tabbing and overall strength of the complete bulkhead and hull system. Colin fixed it right on Parley Revival.

I also cannot say if this problem is systemic in all Lagoons of the same era. It might be, it might not. But it could be that if there is a rat in one bedroom, he is also in the other. It is something to be very suspicious of. Lagoon had a design flaw they admitted to, and that in itself is an extremely noble thing to admit. I am not saying this is the case, but their solution could be like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. It makes it look good today. I am not convinced it solves the real problem. I am just a structural engineer, what do I know?

I'm just sayin.,,,
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 19:36   #300

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw View Post
I have a lagoon 410 2002. I have not seen any problems with the hull. I just had all new thruhull fittings installed last winter plus new bottom paint. What exactly are you talking about when you refer to bulkheads? I went over every inch of the bottom and it was all solid.

Rich

just fake news...

seems to be a bunchbunch of blowhards and lemmings wanting the bottom to drop out the market so they could buy a lagoon for themselves (..never happened)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lagoon