Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2022, 19:25   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Lagoon bulkheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Is this something that can even be fixed in the Seychelles? South Africa would be a good place, but they would have to make it there first.
To get to South Africa you must go through the Mozambique Channel. That is where the Schionning cat I encountered was broken.

Plus, the first place in SA is Richard's Bay, Nice place but it is a bit rural. Durban is a bit farther, and maybe better equipped to do the kind of work which might be needed, but really, I'd say, Cape Town is the place, and that is a long ways south of Seychelles.

This owner should get to the heart of the problem in the Seychelles before proceeding onward.
Old 19-07-2022, 20:14   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Then don't! I own an FP and personally prefer them to Lagoons but I don't have the pathological need to decry how much I would never buy a Lagoon over and over. One wonders why you do?

What kind of boat did you say you own again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
i wouldnt buy an FP either. they had the whole hull osmosis issue. production boats are mostly junk. even the leopards which are nicely built for the most part still have balsa cores even after the problems with balsa cores are well known.

buy from a semi custom builder. you dont see these sorts of issues on the antares or HH.

spend your money on mainstream junk, get mainstream junk.

...and what kind of boat did you say you own?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 23:09   #33

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
i'd avoid any boats which behave like wet sponges, but YMMV. I wouldnt take a free lagoon at this point much less pay for one.
yeah, that is exactly excuse of toilet lagoon lover, fearing the truth and trying to fight it. you obvioulsy are not alone.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 23:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I see that you have resurfaced, how is that racing lagoon of yours going these days??
tbh, i got bit lazy and use extra reef or 2 and enjoy sunshine. hope you enjoy your freedoms.
Old 19-07-2022, 23:15   #35

i also watched his video and he said 2 main bulkheads one supports mast, the other back of the boat, are fine. So it il likely impact from another boat or shrouds overtensioned. He could not fly large gennaker if there was rigging issue. There is chance of hull separating from bridgedeck but this would be easy to spot, i think L410 base not made in 1 piece? New lagoons are made from 1 piece so that issue does not exist.

So now, please relax, these guys are safe and able to take care of it.
Old 20-07-2022, 00:38   #36

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
tbh, i got bit lazy and use extra reef or 2 and enjoy sunshine. hope you enjoy your freedoms.
Oh I am and so much better without your BS.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 04:17   #37

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Is this something that can even be fixed in the Seychelles? South Africa would be a good place, but they would have to make it there first.

There is a marina with a big tavel lift in the Seychelles. Could be more than one. I dunno about DIY there.
https://www.tsnaval.com/marine-services-seychelles/
Old 20-07-2022, 10:39   #38

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and what kind of boat did you say you own?

i didnt because its a distraction and irrelevant. i actually own 4 boats anyway. but my sailing cat -

1. has a foam core.
2. from a semi custom builder.
3. is a 40ft performance cat.
4. has 2 cabins with king sized beds and 2 toilets with full showers.

you can now start guessing or we can go back to the main topic of how junky mainstream cats are.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 12:17   #39

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Zurk, Not taking sides here but what cat is that? Sounds kinda cool.
Old 20-07-2022, 14:15   #40

I have a ranch in Central California. I have chickens, horses and a few dogs, that use the property to "do their business". The property has "that smell" of being out in the country. Lately when I look at this thread a similar smell becomes evident.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-07-2022, 14:36   #41

Quote:
i didnt because its a distraction and irrelevant. i actually own 4 boats anyway. but my sailing cat -

1. has a foam core.
2. from a semi custom builder.
3. is a 40ft performance cat.
4. has 2 cabins with king sized beds and 2 toilets with full showers.

you can now start guessing or we can go back to the main topic of how junky mainstream cats are.
Your imaginary boat is "a distraction and irrelevant" so you spend an entire post listing "clues" instead of two seconds listing the type of boat? Alrighty then.

Also still waiting on an answer as to why you have this pathological need to bash given types of boats. You don't like them, don't (imaginary) buy them. No need to tell us all over and over how much you won't buy them. Very strange.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 16:50   #42

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno7 View Post
I am just a casual observer of all the conversations as an engineer who is considering the purchase of something like the Lagoon 450. The build flaws of the 45 are now evident in the 410 and the 500. They are also reporting issues with doors flying open and a lot of squeaks in heavy seas. I follow the Parley Revival and David Shih stories, and now Nandji. The risk in the purchase of a Lagoon is just not worth it. Let me buy one at half price, and I am in!

I am confident the Nandji can make it to Seychelles. The boat will not sink, but there might not be much left when they get there. God be with them! I am glad I am not.

Danno, I must admit I that I am greatly disturbed in your response given that you are an engineer. (Of what) As I have stated earlier, there is no clear identification of the issue on this 410 yet you now claim that the build flaw of the 450 are now evident in the 410. Based on the total lack of information please explain how as an engineer you come to this wonderful conclusion. Over 280 Lagoon 410s were made. They are good strong boats, not perfect but a wonderful sailing and cruising boats. I pulled my old one to pieces doing upgrades and know them intimately. While there may be cases of bulkhead issues on the Lagoon that I am not aware of this is the first that I have heard about and it is not confirmed yet.

Do yourself a favour, as an engineer of course, and do some research and come back to me with how many Lagoon 410s have a bulkhead issue which you claim is now so evident.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 06:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post

Danno, I must admit I that I am greatly disturbed in your response given that you are an engineer. (Of what) As I have stated earlier, there is no clear identification of the issue on this 410 yet you now claim that the build flaw of the 450 are now evident in the 410. Based on the total lack of information please explain how as an engineer you come to this wonderful conclusion. Over 280 Lagoon 410s were made. They are good strong boats, not perfect but a wonderful sailing and cruising boats. I pulled my old one to pieces doing upgrades and know them intimately. While there may be cases of bulkhead issues on the Lagoon that I am not aware of this is the first that I have heard about and it is not confirmed yet.

Do yourself a favour, as an engineer of course, and do some research and come back to me with how many Lagoon 410s have a bulkhead issue which you claim is now so evident.

Ozsailer
As an engineer, I realize the source of the problem with the 450 is a design defect in bulkhead support. They did not include enough tabbing, straps, layers, and other issues.

It is quite common for a manufacturer to use the same materials, parts, or design processes for several models. The bulkhead design of the 450 could be similar in all Lagoon models of the same year of build, size range and using the same build processes. Agree, the video of the 410 is only a sample of one, and I have nothing more to go by than that video. But Parley Revival was only a sample of one until Colin exposed it worldwide as a problem. There is also a video of a Lagoon 500 with door gaps exposing too much movement.

It is proven to me that Lagoon had a serious design flaw in their build process. It is highly likely that only certain models or years of production had a problem, and the model of the 410 you had is for a year they were built correctly?

For me, I do not want the risk of purchasing a boat that could have this issue. Let me purchase it for half the price they are typically asking, fix the problem correctly (like Colin did), and the Lagoon would be a fabulous boat.
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 08:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post

Ozsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno7 View Post
As an engineer, I realize the source of the problem with the 450 is a design defect in bulkhead support. They did not include enough tabbing, straps, layers, and other issues.

It is quite common for a manufacturer to use the same materials, parts, or design processes for several models. The bulkhead design of the 450 could be similar in all Lagoon models of the same year of build, size range and using the same build processes. Agree, the video of the 410 is only a sample of one, and I have nothing more to go by than that video. But Parley Revival was only a sample of one until Colin exposed it worldwide as a problem. There is also a video of a Lagoon 500 with door gaps exposing too much movement.

It is proven to me that Lagoon had a serious design flaw in their build process. It is highly likely that only certain models or years of production had a problem, and the model of the 410 you had is for a year they were built correctly?

For me, I do not want the risk of purchasing a boat that could have this issue. Let me purchase it for half the price they are typically asking, fix the problem correctly (like Colin did), and the Lagoon would be a fabulous boat.

Old 21-07-2022, 09:01   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Their most recent video.

https://youtu.be/aOgV8jemecU
Video taken in 1m seas. Just the creaking and groaning would drive me crazy, though not always a sign of structural problems.
But most certainly not a sign of structural integrity either
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lagoon