Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 03:25   #31

Re: Lagoon mast postion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
The New Lagoons Arrive | Multihulls Quarterly
published Spring 2013
But could be a different 52 Lagoon.
All other reviews talk about an "infused beam" but while suggestive is not definitive?
Sounds like a good support for a mast compression post in an aft masted cat. Pretty much standard, after all aft masted cats are not a new thing. Many cats with masts positioned in the "normal" way over forward bulkheads also have such composite beams visible beneath their bridgedeck. Especially designs with flat bridgedeck undersides. I assume that these are able to support the forces of mast compression as I've never noticed any where the mast has pushed a hole out through the bridgedeck. Most Lagoon models have curved bridgedeck undersides, molded into a nacelle shape, adding further strength.

From what I know of stainless steel, most grades would be a very poor choice to encapsulate in fibreglass due to their vulnerability to "crevice corrosion" in the absence of oxygen.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 05:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Reynolds View Post
So here goes and I am ducking the counter attack from the Lagoon owners right now.
I realise there are reasons people like the comforts of the big wide hulled low performance French production boats but for years the boat show displays and magazine reviews have bragged about their performance .
So I wonder why they have made such a move to improve performance , maybe hobbie horsing was something you just lived with or it never happens much in enclosed waters .
This discussion also opens up opinions and my long held belief that these boats are not necessarily well built or engineered for longevity.
(Try sueing me for my beliefs).
BBeakie mentions these boats still use catalyst based resins wow imo. vinylester has some good properties but polyester is not really that water proof.
These production boats command high sale prices maybe due to the bling interiors but in the long run do tbe economics add up buyer beware.
Apart from increased curing time toxicity Epoxy Resin produces excellant water resistant composites .
The French know this they do make some of the best composite racing multis around along with Australia and New Zealand.
It seems IF some of these construction techniques are true then the production cost factors could have compromised quality .
Most sailors are well aware of benefits of epoxy over polyester. But please point out a full epoxy build catamaran with the same equipment and carrying capacity levels that is not 50 to 100% more in price.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Reynolds View Post
So here goes and I am ducking the counter attack from the Lagoon owners right now.
This is not about just Lagoons but the concept of production built anything.

Quote "These production boats command high sale prices maybe due to the bling interiors but in the long run do the economics add up buyer beware."

The prices are not high at all compared to a short run / one off bespoke vessel of the same load carrying capacity. I would suggest they are probably close to half or more of the cost.

Quote: "It seems IF some of these construction techniques are true then the production cost factors could have compromised quality"

Manufacturing costs affecting the quality of a product. Who would have ever thought that the quality and performance of a product would have any relationship whatsoever to the cost of a product.

Look at a parked GM / Ford motor car do you really believe they should have the same level of quality, performance and price as Porsche / Ferrari.After all they are all 4 wheeled automobiles.
Quote "but for years the boat show displays and magazine reviews have bragged about their performance ."

The revelations just keep coming, who would ever have considered that sales, advertising and marketing of a product might just have been a little biased towards their own particular product and lets say slightly exaggerated its capabilities. If not that at the very least presented their own product in a better light.

A production anything, is a compromise between performance, quality and price. Get the balance correct and you sell a lot more product, get it wrong and you sell a lot less.

There are thousands of very happy sailors currently cruising in their production vessels, would they like better performance and higher quality than their production vessel currently offers, probably but they are not prepared to pay extra for it, otherwise they would have already.

PS: If I do not respond straight away it's because I need to lift the anchor and sail to my next destination in less than an hour. I will respond as soon as I am able, unless my shoddily built production catamaran corrodes, sinks, tips over or fly's away of it's own accord.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:33   #34
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

[QUOTE=BigBeakie;2480255]

I learned the importance of using good materials[/Q

Hi, BigBeakie!

Guess Your above words explain the difference in Your and some other happy Owners approach to building/owning a cat.

I personally also share the idea of good materials only for oceans-able cat.

In the meantime would be interested to look at the FF50#1 pictures, if You may find it possible to post some here!

Thanks
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 23:41   #35

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Steamer,

Here's a rendering. Will post build photos as they become available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF50 side profile.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	156402   Click image for larger version

Name:	stb aft.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	156403  

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags