Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 15:21   #16

Re: Lagoon or Sunreef or FP?

Hi
Here is a reply to your post about larger cats (in CAPS below for easy recognition):

Your post:
"My preferences:
for a flybridge style 4 cabin cruising cat.
with all the heavy stuff - washing machine, desalinator, dishwasher, lots of refrigeration, etc etc
able to be managed with three competent crew
I have looked at the Lagoon 560 and the FP Sanya 57 and the Sunreef 58.

Questions:
Any others that compare?
How would you compare these three? Has anyone experience with one or more? Build quality, setup?
Are these going to be slow around a course? How would you compare sailing ability and speed?
Finally, am I unrealistic in my expectations?"

Please give it to me straight!! All opinions much appreciated."

I HAVE OWNED TWO LAGOONS. THEY ARE A GREAT VALUE. WHY? BECAUSE LAGOON IS PART OF THE BENETEAU GROUP AND THEY BUILD 2,500 YACHTS/YEAR. SO WHEN THEY BUY ENGINES, FOR EXAMPLE, THEY BUY HUNDREDS AT A TIME AND GET THEM FOR ALMOST HALF OF WHAT THE OTHER BUILDERS PAY...SAME THING GOES FOR RIGGING, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, RESIN, ETC...SO THEY CAN AFFORD TO BUILD A YACHT FOR 30-40% LESS AND STILL MAKE MONEY FOR THEIR SHAREHOLDERS. LEOPARDS HAVE A SIMILAR "ECONOMY OF SCALE" ADVANTAGE BUT NOT AS MUCH. LEOPARDS HAVE COME A LONG WAY AND YOU MUST SEE ONE... FP HAS A TERRIBLE WARRANTY HISTORY AND WERE BANNED FROM DOING BUSINESS IN THE U.S. FOR A DECADE BECAUSE THEY TOLD AN OWNER TO "JUMP IN THE LAKE" AND REFUSED TO FIX A DELAMINATION PROBLEM AND THE RESULTING COURT JUDGEMENT BARRED THEM FROM DOING BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS. SO I WOULDN'T EVER BUY A NEW BOAT FROM THEM. USED FP'S CAN BE OK BUT A THOROUGH PRE-PURCHASE SURVEY IS A MUST. SUNREEFS HAVE A FIT AND FINISH THAT ISN'T THE BEST...THEY LOOK SLICK WHEN NEW BUT DON'T HOLD UP TOO WELL. THAT'S WHY YOU SEE A HUGE PERCENTAGE OF THEM ON THE USED-MARKET...THEY ALL SAIL ABOUT THE SAME WHEN YOU INSTALL THE EQUIPMENT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. BESIDES, WHEN YOU WANT TO GO FAST DON'T TAKE A SAILBOAT: GET ON AN AIRPLANE.
JUST WONDERING WHY YOU NEED 3 CREW?... IF THE BOAT IS SET-UP CORRECTLY IT CAN BE DONE WITH LESS CREW UNLESS YOU ARE DOING VERY HIGH END CHARTERS/ENTERTAINING...
PRIVILEGE ARE THE BEST-BUILT CATS BUT YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THIS. KINDA LIKE OWNING A ROLLS OR BENTLEY SO IF THAT IS YOUR THING YOU MUST SEE A PRIVILEGE (615 0R 745)
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon