Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 14:08   #1
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Lagoon TPI value

I see Lagoon 37 and 42 TPI catamarans selling for $120,000 to $155,000. But you can buy a 2005 or so Lagoon 410 for about $175,000.

I read the old TPIs were built well using a the resin infusion process that was not economical so they changed to a less expensive method.

I'm interested in a multihull around 40' so I'm wondering what people think of the older Lagoon TPI cats? They seem like they should be in the $75,000 - $90,000 range by age, why do they seem to have a higher value? Are they safer? More comfortable?
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 14:42   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Lagoon TPI value

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms View Post

-----I read the old TPIs were built well using a the resin infusion process that was not economical so they changed to a less expensive method.

-----They seem like they should be in the $75,000 - $90,000 range by age, why do they seem to have a higher value? -----
Seems like you answered your own question.
Not to mention it's a different design, which some people prefer to the newer.
Old 21-10-2016, 18:36   #3

The opinions I've gathered all seem to center on the build quality. But something I've kind of picked up on is they're a very early "modern" catamaran, that also happens to be very well built. Just my opinion, but look at a lot of the designs before then, Snowgoose, Hirondelle, Catalac, Comanche, Iroquois, Heavenly Twins, etc they all look very dated, and to a certain extent are built to an older style. No tramps, low bridgedeck clearance, accommodations in the bridgedeck, etc. Put a 42 TPI next to one of those and it looks like a spaceship, put it next to a modern cat and it doesn't look totally out of place. I know FP was building more "modern" cats around the same time, and earlier, but I don't know about the build quality.

I'm no catamaran historian, but that's just the opinion I've picked up. And full disclosure, I have a sweet spot for the 42 TPI, I would love one.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 19:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Tpi had lots of problems with resin infusion in the Jboats. Maybe the cats were better. I would buy a Leopard maybe Norseman instead.

Tags
lagoon