Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 08:17   #31
cruiser

Re: LAGOONS HAVE CHEAP BRASS THRUHULLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by siroismi View Post
Do you guys see any issues mixing stainless (valve) with bronze flange and thru hull?

Michel
Absoutely! The bronze/stainless will make the ss valve crevice crack corrode quickly--and dont use any ss bolts with any bronze either(as i once did) the bolts broke after 1 year
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:19   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
Indeed, it is hard or in some cases impossible. There is not enough space to put proper seacock in place of existing thru-hull, it is very difficult to even get to some of these fittings, you have to remove most piping & wiring that go close to thru-hull to make space for flange and flange base, there is not enough space to use large wrench neccessary for larger fittings, etc., etc...
for smaller size hose -just use a marelon valve-not a full blown seacock.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:29   #33

NO WAY!!

Are you sure they are brass not bronze??

IF they are brass, I'd not trust a Lagoon in a pond, or any water deeper than you want to sink in..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
NO WAY!!

Are you sure they are brass not bronze??

IF they are brass, I'd not trust a Lagoon in a pond, or any water deeper than you want to sink in..
If they were marine bronze they wouldn't look like that. So either they are brass, or a really poor grade of Chinese bronze.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:32   #35
cruiser

They are indeed brass
Old 23-03-2012, 09:42   #36

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Look at the pictures!! at least the builder take care of the end tip of the hose clamps, nice red covers!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:58   #37
cruiser

YES ---The red plastic end tips are a must--they prevent the hose clamp from completely undoing itself-- plus they add a festive aura to the situation in the bilge in case one feells like throwing a "bilge party....:flowe rs:
Old 23-03-2012, 10:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Absoutely! The bronze/stainless will make the ss valve crevice crack corrode quickly--and dont use any ss bolts with any bronze either(as i once did) the bolts broke after 1 year
SS and Bronze have been used for years in the marine industry. Many turnbuckles were made that way to avoid galling on the threads. This is not to say that using SS underwater is a good thing on it's own....

How do we know those arent bronze again....? Everyone is blaming Lagoon, but it could be that they had so many complaints about the Marelon they decided to go to Bronze even with the weight penalty. They may have put it out for bid and unfortunately, the supplier gave them material that fits the spec for bronze, but barely and is NFG.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:02   #39
cruiser

I wonder what the electrical reading would be if I put my multi-meter on those toxic valves in the photos? I think it would be significant......
Old 23-03-2012, 10:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
SS and Bronze have been used for years in the marine industry. Many turnbuckles were made that way to avoid galling on the threads. This is not to say that using SS underwater is a good thing on it's own....
Apparently brass and iron is not such a great combination

Don't the Groco valves have a bronze body with a stainless ball in the valve? They seem to be fine. Well, I am hoping so anyway.

Even ignoring different-metal galvanic corrosion, brass is just entirely unsuitable below the waterline.

My local chandlers has tons of fittings on the self and you have to be really careful that you're buying bronze hose adapters, not brass.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
YES ---The red plastic end tips are a must--they prevent the hose clamp from completely undoing itself-- plus they add a festive aura to the situation in the bilge in case one feells like throwing a "bilge party....:flowe rs:
It's good to know that when that mess finally fails, the hose will still be securely attached to the stump!
Old 23-03-2012, 10:11   #42

Yeah, ball valves come in lots of varieties. Polished stainless ball, chromed bronze ball etc. Either way, whether stainless or chromed, there is chrome mixed with the bronze. I'm just not sure ball valves are the way to go with seacocks, regardless of who makes them. Often, the stem that attaches the handle is very small. If jammed, twisting that off would be easy... Nothing simpler than a good old fashioned tapered bronze seacock. Even the Taiwan variety seem to last forever. The boat at left, my passport 47, my tanton 44 and my 32 trawler all had Taiwanese tapered seacocks and never had a failure. They were big , meaty, had huge handles and didnt corrode much. KISS.

Old 23-03-2012, 10:12   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

Don't the Groco valves have a bronze body with a stainless ball in the valve? They seem to be fine. Well, I am hoping so anyway.

Even ignoring different-metal galvanic corrosion, brass is just entirely unsuitable below the waterline.

My local chandlers has tons of fittings on the self and you have to be really careful that you're buying bronze hose adapters, not brass.
I believe the ball is chromed bronze
Old 23-03-2012, 10:14   #44

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

I f i remember the groco have the ball separate from the body with a teflon spacer?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I f i remember the groco have the ball separate from the body with a teflon spacer?
Yeah, most all have some arrangement like that...

Tags
cheap