Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 07:20   #121
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Lagoons Have Cheap Brass Thruhulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

But lets not take my opinion on it, as soon as I get some spare time, I will dig out some old untinned unsolder-able wire and crimp on some new (quality) terminals and do the same with new untinned wire (of similar gauge) and then run some electrical (resistance and voltage drop) tests as well as mechanical (tension) tests and report the results (on a new thread). If they are the same, you will the first to know . Being as we run a calibration workshop, I think we will be able to trust the results as being fairly accurate.

It tickles me when I post a link to a study by a reputable source that was almost identical to the one you propose (but more comprehensive), and no one bothers to read it!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:31   #122
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
But lets not take my opinion on it, as soon as I get some spare time, I will dig out some old untinned unsolder-able wire and crimp on some new (quality) terminals and do the same with new untinned wire (of similar gauge) and then run some electrical (resistance and voltage drop) tests as well as mechanical (tension) tests and report the results (on a new thread). If they are the same, you will the first to know . Being as we run a calibration workshop, I think we will be able to trust the results as being fairly accurate.

great stuff, you'll find the difference in a similar good quality crimp do not amount to a significant voltage drop ( of course there is a small difference), but the drop has no effect on the operation or the safety of the circuit . The good old boat test immersed these wires in heated salt water, which is hardly indicative of the environment a boats wiring is in.

Further more, even in untinned wire , my experience on boats is that the copper oxide does not extend more than approx 10 mm into the wire, worst case, occasionally a little further in wiring severely exposed. I habitually snip back to clean copper. ( I fully agree that all things being equal what you say is true, what I disagree is that is has any significant effort on the quality of the boat or its systems),
Old 29-03-2012, 07:40   #123

Boat: Gib sea 43

sometimes its hard to find clean wire or snip back far enough, but a bit of sandpaper works wonders removing the corrosion, a few boat mags here in the uk have ran articles about the poor quality seacocks being used to cut corners and save a bit of cash, for the little they save, i think it would be good marketing practice for the larger boat builders to use proper materials and market the fact well!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:54   #124
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It tickles me when I post a link to a study by a reputable source that was almost identical to the one you propose (but more comprehensive), and no one bothers to read it!
Hey I read it and I agree with it but I didn't see any reference to crimping onto old untinned wire and comparing with new untinned wire (maybe need to read it again).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:00   #125
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Hey I read it and I agree with it but I didn't see any reference to crimping onto old untinned wire and comparing wire new untinned (maybe need to read it again).

Or maybe I need to read your post again; it is a different issue. I find it shocking that people think the corrosoin in wiring never goes more than a few inches back, I have seen long runs of tinned wire that were completely corroded for their whole length. But I live in a very wet place.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:05   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
......... I habitually snip back to clean copper. ( I fully agree that all things being equal what you say is true, what I disagree is that is has any significant effort on the quality of the boat or its systems),
Fair enough and it is good to have some differences of opinion at the end of the day. I know I am perhaps too pedantic when it comes to best practice.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-03-2012, 08:17   #127
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Or maybe I need to read your post again; it is a different issue. I find it shocking that people think the corrosoin in wiring never goes more than a few inches back, I have seen long runs of tinned wire that were completely corroded for their whole length. But I live in a very wet place.
My boat is also in a wet place, in fact I think summer was one day in may past year!. Ive never seen such corrosion except in exceptional circumstances and that wasn't in a boat.

PS I know you mentioned tinned wire, so that also rules that out as well.

I really think this is an "angels on a pin" argument. In general in the real world, among typical boats used in typical situations such wiring is fine and has been proven to be so.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:19   #128
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Fair enough and it is good to have some differences of opinion at the end of the day. I know I am perhaps too pedantic when it comes to best practice.
I once designed electronics and associated cables and connectors to work inside a rock crushing machine, I learned a awful lots about connectors, strength and overall circuit survivability design in 6 months
Old 29-03-2012, 08:35   #129

Quote:
I once designed electronics and associated cables and connectors to work inside a rock crushing machine, I learned a awful lots about connectors, strength and overall circuit survivability design in 6 months
Ouch!
Old 29-03-2012, 09:38   #130

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Post 118-9AM?
Still waiting for info on second Lagoon that caught fire in the last few months.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 20:10   #131
cruiser

Quote:
My boat is also in a wet place, in fact I think summer was one day in may past year!. Ive never seen such corrosion except in exceptional circumstances and that wasn't in a boat.

PS I know you mentioned tinned wire, so that also rules that out as well.

I really think this is an "angels on a pin" argument. In general in the real world, among typical boats used in typical situations such wiring is fine and has been proven to be so.
I see you also mock logic
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:27   #132

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Has anyone found or proved so far that Lagoons do have brass thru hulls fitted?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 22:09   #133
cruiser

The two Surveyors have said they do along with a few Lagoon owners ..........
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 02:56   #134

I didn't say they were brass.
Old 30-03-2012, 04:35   #135

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Ok it's been 22 hours and I still haven't seen anything about a second Lagoon sunk in the last "few months".
I also haven't seen anyone stating they have BRASS thru-hulls on a Lagoon.
As for the Electrical fire on a 16 year old Lagoon it hasn't been stated by the owner as to what caused the problem. Assuming it was do to an ORIGINALLY INSTALLED electrical issue hasn't been substantiated.
There is no evidence on the web that either of these items have any proof to them. For what it's worth my larger cables on board are made by Ferrari which I believe are tinned.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap