Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 20:34   #31

Boat: PT-11
Lagoons are fine. A 560 is a boat that will require a crew. Plus, with all its systems and "stuff", you'll be fixing AND arranging fixing everywhere you stop. Don't get suckered in by the glitzy presentation. It's not about furnishings, heads and beds. It's about sailing ability and systems you can maintain. This is why I think boat shows are counterproductive.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 21:18   #32
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution
Re: Lagoons - How Durable Are They ?

What systems you have in a 560, that a 440 does not have?
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 22:13   #33

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Same systems perhaps, but a hell of a lot more expensive. And probably more of them - more heads, more air cons = more work. You'll probably have also made the leap from manual to powered winches and davits, which need servicing. Plus look at the difference in the cost of sails, running rigging, filters, etc. which are all perishable items which will need to be periodically replaced.

Neko's right, it's probably a leap which necessitates crew - or a least a lot of extra help to do even routine maintenance and cleaning. I don't know many owners of 50+ footers who don't have a lot of hired help to keep things running smoothly.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 23:05   #34
SVI

4 heads, 4 cabins - same as L440.
Larger engines - ok, +% to oil and filters. Not material.
L440 has electric winches, they need the same service as manual, and same reliability.

If you have money to buy the large thing, you will have money to service it and employ the crew (crew is not expensive)... all with 10% per annum rule...

But the larger boat gives that interior space and comfort in strong swells and winds... and speed as well. If you can afford it - why buy a smaller one?
Old 10-06-2013, 23:57   #35

From what the OP wrote I think money is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
I would not want to buy, keep the cat for 2 years, and then re-sell. I'd like to keep it for at least 10 to 15 years. (or more). I won't have the $$$ to buy a Privilège, or a high-priced custom made cat ..... What is my concern is the durability, easy access for repairs of any kind, no bistering, no hull issues, durable sails, durable systems, electric wirings well put together, overall solidity of everything.
I own an 40 footer and a 48 footer and I can tell you that that extra 8 feet is waaay more expensive and time consuming to maintain.

Compare the cost of winches from a 44 to 56 foot boat. Not to mention, anchors, sails, running rigging, haul-outs, antifouling and cleaning. There is no way an owner can be self sufficient and properly maintain a 56 foot cat by themselves. And the OP doesn't sound like someone able or wanting to hire crew.

If someone gave me a 55+ foot cat I'd immediately sell it an buy something smaller.
Old 11-06-2013, 00:42   #36
SVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
From what the OP wrote I think money is an issue.
Then he has to forget larger new cats and find smth small (36-40) and second-hand, pardon, pre-owned
All boats (incl cats) depreciate a lot in the first 1-2 years of use. But after 4-5 years cats hold their value pretty well - you may resell for the same price.

Suggest OP to stop dreaming about 50-55ft and to look at popular ones: Mahe 36 or Orana 44 (new design, a lot of boats on the market, simple systems) and Lagoon 380 (dated design however) and 410.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:14   #37

Used is a four letter word....

But I like second-hand boats as well. Good value if you buy one 2 years old, and usually the original owner has worked out any problems. A 40 footer isn't a bad boat for a couple, and the L380 has as much room as our 40 footer.

Plus, when things go 'pop' on the smaller boats, or simply wear out, you can spec up to a higher quality piece of equipment for a (relatively) reasonable amount of money.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:44   #38

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
After having our 440 now for 4 years,it has been fine for 2 of us.plenty of room and just manageable.

A 500 or 560 cat would just be too much to handle and maintain,in effort and dollars.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:17   #39

Boat: Lagoon 440
Recently purchased 2005 L440 hull#36 and just ran her pretty hard from Fort Lauderdale to clearwater and had no issues and there is no blistering.
Aquapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48   #40

thanks all , this really helps
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote