Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 14:24   #151

One technique not mentioned (or I may just missed it): if there is any risk of wind gusts, deploy only windward daggerboard and only partially. If wind starts heeling the boat, daggerboard will emerge from water allowing boat to slip sideways, possibly spilling just enough wind to prevent capsize. I know, it goes against what daggerboards are for, but if conditions warrant it, the technique may work. Just a thought...
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 14:44   #152

Boat: PDQ32
Just a thought on a possible easy way to reduce risk. I know if I only put a couple turns on the sheet winch it will still handle the job in light air while it won't handle heavy loading. Possibly using fewer than normal turns on the winch would allow it to serve as a slip device if subjected to a sudden load increase??
Old 10-08-2010, 14:45   #153

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
... I can't get over the the pile of rope hanging in Anna's cockpit. It would be no wonder someone would be confused in an emergency situation trying to release the main.
I don't think that was a factor at all in this case. The crew did not report any confusion of that type.

Quote:
I2F has a valid point about standing watch in the middle of the boat vs standing it behind the bulkhead. Your much more likely to be outside on a conventional cat, IMO.
I do not think the layout of the boat played much if any of a role in this loss. It was reported that the crew saw and dismissed the squall and were caught off guard. It seems that they were neither in the inside station where they could have attempted to steer out of trouble nor in the cockpit where they would have had that option as well as easy access to sheets and halyards. If they'd been walking around in a typical aft cockpit design it's likely they wouldn't have been any closer to the controls.

Quote:
As far as a device to automatically release the sheet in an emergency, am I missing something in suggesting a knife? Or an extra crew manning the main winch?
If they were close enough to the sheet to cut it they could have just eased it. The problem was not a jammed cleat or override. For whatever reason they were caught off guard. To be sure that should never happen but the point of an automatic system is that if it does happen in a dangerous situation there is some backup.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 15:04   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
One technique not mentioned (or I may just missed it): if there is any risk of wind gusts, deploy only windward daggerboard and only partially. If wind starts heeling the boat, daggerboard will emerge from water allowing boat to slip sideways, possibly spilling just enough wind to prevent capsize. I know, it goes against what daggerboards are for, but if conditions warrant it, the technique may work. Just a thought...
I do this more out of faith than any belief that it provides a lot of safety. It does increase weather helm which may or may not be desirable depending on the situation. It is not as effective in reducing the heeling moment as reefing the sails. Long narrow hulls are hard to push sideways through the water anyway so removing the board doesn't let the hull slip sideways all that easily. On Anna it would have been more problematic as she has asymmetrical boards... Anyway, I think there is something to it but I doubt it is huge.

Tom
Old 10-08-2010, 15:11   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
Just a thought on a possible easy way to reduce risk. I know if I only put a couple turns on the sheet winch it will still handle the job in light air while it won't handle heavy loading. Possibly using fewer than normal turns on the winch would allow it to serve as a slip device if subjected to a sudden load increase??
You're thinking of a self tailer? Don't see how that would work at all if the sheet is in a cleat. With a self tailer the sheet will slip if there are not enough turns but maybe not enough to help and each slip will damage the winch and/or sheet. You could probably devise and install a pretty fancy automatic release for less than the cost of replacing your winches...

Tom
Old 10-08-2010, 17:36   #156

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOff View Post
Boating is made safer with each year's experience at the helm.
How about complacency?

I think I have seen more high mileage, complacent sailors than complacent rookies. I would also say that many long-time cruiser run into bad trouble sooner or later.

Sort of contrary to common sense. Maybe common sense is wrong then.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 18:01   #157
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
How about complacency?

I think I have seen more high mileage, complacent sailors than complacent rookies. I would also say that many long-time cruiser run into bad trouble sooner or later.

b.
That is the great thing about sailing and this Forum….. there is no expiry date on “Life lessons” and sad events like Anna is a wake up call to all of us….
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
How about complacency? ...
I never ground out in unfamiliar waters, only those with which I'm intimately familiar. I’ve often given in to the temptation to “tickle the tail of the dragon”.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10   #159

was the overturned hull found?
kaimiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How about complacency?

b.
I know when we started out we were very cautious but still made lots of mistakes just because we did not have a clue. And quite honestly that sounds like where these cat guys were at. Its easy to make very bad mistakes with squall sailing until you have learned a few hard lessons and unfortunately these guys schooling was the end for this boat.

After we got some experience we have gone thru cycles. We will successfully acomplish something and pat ourselves on the back and start thinking we finally know what we are doing and as you say get complacent, then the ocean will slap us down hard and we will regain the healthy humble attitude and be extra cautious and prudent until weafter a while as things go well we again start to think we know what we are doing and get slapped down again.

And its still going on after two long RTW's and 15 years of pretty much full time cruising. Just this spring we got slapped down very hard after being overconfident and trying to be too clever when leaving a tricky anchorage.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00   #161

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
I agree with Evan. I always thought sailing was a lot like riding motorcycles. About the time you think you've got it mastered is when it'll spit you off.
Old 17-08-2010, 04:57   #162

Anna lives?

See Catamaran | Paikea Mist's Ode to Our Shores

Boards are down?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:38   #163
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It looks like one keel is down, and the other a stub, or mostly up?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:40   #164
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Lives? Call the medical examiner because it looks like we have a dead body washed ashore.

That has to break the heart of the owner.
Old 17-08-2010, 15:34   #165

finders keepers - US$500k - you win some, you lose some...
bounty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Niue