Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 15:40   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Re: Lavezzi vs Belize

As a very satisfied owner of a Belize for 10 years (bought new from the factory) I would like to add my 2 cents worth. At the 2010 FP Owners Rendezvous in the BVI's we did quite well in all the "fun races" against our newer competitors. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time aboard and are looking forward to several more years of cruising. We have heard from many people "in the know" that the Belize is the best model cat produced by FP. If the decision were mine to make, Belize would win hands down.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53   #17

Guys thank you very much for input , a lot of ideas now to consider.

Certainly steering toward the bigger boat (mooring is free and lifting is cheap in my part of world....and I'm lucky to have access to cheap maintenance )

Nothing in life is simple so I am guessing it would be an effort to convert the boat to an owners version at later stage? I don't think I'll be able to find a factory built maestro in my price range.
They seem to sell for 100k U.S. more than the 4 cabin version.
(Owners version, aside from being considered more desirable have may have avoided heavy charter usage)

all that rubbish I can worry about later, For now I just want to pick it up so I can stop yacht shopping and go sailing ..
Alphabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 02:02   #18

Well interesting news...

Somebody beat me to the belize ...offered the same price that I had offered but a day or so earlier .( I didn't want to get into a bidding war so I stepped back - mildly regretting that decision now..)

As it turns out, a Bahia or two have popped up in my region .... Amazingly both in farly good condition and within arms reach of what I can afford ..
Condition of both appears to be good .... I wonder if these bigger boats are affordable because people can't get moorings for them at the local marina .
Any ideas as to why they seem to sell for roughly the same price as the belize -
(Other than flogged engines / sails / general wear and tear ?)
Alphabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 23:10   #19

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I think the larger boats devalue faster due to several reasons.
One is the cost of maintenance and marina fees, the other is many people feel the bigger boats are to big for them to handle.
Good luck in your search for a cat, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these boats. There will be maintenance issues with any boat that you buy, you just have to keep on top of them with regular work.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 19:16   #20

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro
pirate Re: Lavezzi vs Belize

Alphabob
Too bad you missed out on that Belize. May I suggest not rushing into buying an alternative but wait until the right boat comes along. Remember this is an investment that you want to enjoy and not be a "I wish I bought the other boat" moment.

The Bahia is substantially bigger than the Belize but I don't know if it performs any better.

Although I am bias I suggest a maestro version Belize over a 4 cabin charter layout any day.

Good luck
Pete
Pirate Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, Lavezzi