Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 13:02   #1

Leopard 46 fiberglass question

We are interested in buying a late year model (e.g. 2009) Leopard 46 to cruise around the Meds and later on sail to the Caribbean and so forth. Would you guys recommend this vessel over a 2014 L44 for such trips?

Also, quick question for the experts here: Is that fiber glass water damage on the right side of this picture of the Leopard 46?

Thanks in advance!
fly2kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 00:14   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Leopard 46 fiberglass question

Possibly something wet kept against the wall eg a sail or snorkel gear, or may be a stanchion leaking from above. I would prefer the 46 to the 44. The 46 seems to have higher bridge deck, has longer waterline and probably faster as a result. The things to look for in a Lep 46 are rear bulkheads, and you want one with with cockpit stairs to helm. I have never owned either, just relaying what my research told me when I was looking for a mid 40ft cat.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

The L46 was a very good sailing boat that was well designed and had a good, strong Starcraft rig. The L44 was a poorly designed boat that had a Z-Spar crap rig. The photo shows a stain from storing a damp sail in it. That is the forward storage space or crew cabin - seldom used as a cabin for sleeping in. The mattress shown is original that came with the boat out the factory. I delivered quite a few of those over the years. As Tin Tin states, only look at the models that have the helm access stairs from the cockpit. Also, these were the models designed by Gino Moreli and not Simonis. They, together with the old L40’s, were also the first with saildrives replacing the shaft drives of the old Simonis designs. They were well constructed boats that sailed well.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 14:59   #4

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

As a Leopard owner I personally think the Leopard 46 was the best leopard built to date !
It’s the right size in terms of length and with to give good water sailing">blue water sailing. It’s the right weight without being a dog. Light cats are great for light weather sailing but in big seas some decent weight helps.

I would not buy a 44 as John T said the rigging has been an issue with many of them
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 19:05   #5

We are also in the market for a late model Leopard 46. Can anyone tell me what issues to look out for on these boats? We are willing to do some work / upgrades, but are there any notoriously bad items that need to be fixed, replaced, etc? (fuel tanks, holding tanks, water heaters, windows, etc)

Thank you in advance for your help!
Kadie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 19:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Having sailed head to head against both boats, the L46 more or less keeps up with us and the 44 is nowhere close. Done it enough times to be pretty sure the 46 is significantly faster , if that matters. Some of the early ones had cockpit drainage issues such that water drained forward and accumulated, rather than aft. Sometimes these have a wooden grate-type floor added, sitting on the real floor to deal with this, Some early ones also had a vent in the hard bimini at the forward end of the cockpit. This turned out to catch considerable spray. Make sure your pick has the beefy re-inforced davits.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 22:34   #7

Lots of trash talk about the Leopard 44. I'm about to purchase a 2016 L44 and all the reviews I've read seem like it's a decent boat. If there are issues, can someone share some links explaining what they are?
schiehser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:18   #8

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Join the leopard owners forum on Facebook and Leopardcatamaranowners@groups.io

Piles of leopard info on these groups
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, leopard, leopard 46