Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2022, 13:35   #1

Leopard circumnavigation

I'm planning a circumnavigation soon and I'm assessing which multi-hull to take.

Are there any sailors who circumnavigated with a Leopard?

Would be happy to get in touch and hear your experience.

Best,
Burak
Selecra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 13:45   #2

Re: Leopard circumnavigation

Many of the "put your life out there" sailors sail (or used to sail) Leopards, so you might start there.

Gone with the Wynns (recently moved "up" to an HH)

Burnetts Ahoy

Happy Together

I'm sure there are a ton more out there, they are very common in the Milk Run anchorages.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 14:18   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

What age / model Leopard?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 08:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
What age / model Leopard?
I’m planning to get a 42 or preferably 45-feet, depending on the equipment, not older than 2017 production. Reason why I started this thread is to hear others experience taking this boat to the high seas.

I’ve done some reading on the recommended upgrades, but most of that is written by people who planned an ocean crossing or a year long sailing adventure. More importantly, most of those articles were written prior to the crossing - which makes me question why. Either people didn’t take the boat for a +600-day circumnavigation or worse, they swapped their boat on the way.
Old 19-11-2022, 08:48   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selecra11 View Post
I’m planning to get a 42 or preferably 45-feet, depending on the equipment, not older than 2017 production. Reason why I started this thread is to hear others experience taking this boat to the high seas.

I’ve done some reading on the recommended upgrades, but most of that is written by people who planned an ocean crossing or a year long sailing adventure. More importantly, most of those articles were written prior to the crossing - which makes me question why. Either people didn’t take the boat for a +600-day circumnavigation or worse, they swapped their boat on the way.
Not related to cats at all but...
Most people spend an awful amount of time getting a boat ready, always improving it, and never accepting that it was plenty ready months or years ago. They then never leave.

Often considered unsuitable for an ocean crossing, you rarely see people working on upgrading Beneteaus and the like. But if you actually cross an ocean and get to the other side, you will see that most boats that make it across are all these boats that are supposedly not able, and the rate of problems is no higher on these unsuitable boats than on well prepared "blue water" boats.

Anyway, the point is, looking at what upgrades people make isn't necessarily an accurate reading of a boat's seaworthiness. People often buy a Leopard from the factory in Cape Town and sail it right away across the Atlantic to the Carribean.
Old 19-11-2022, 09:08   #6

After watching a bunch of youtube videos of catamarans owners describing boat features, I also got the feeling some owners take boat prepping as a retirement hobby project rather than getting ready for serious sailing. I’ve been thinking to myself that every thing they add means more weight, slower cruise speeds and more technical failures on the way.

I guess it’s all quite common that people prep for years, then realize they just can’t do this years long trip anymore, cat or not. I know a few examples myself.

I very much agree with you on the bluewater topic. I’m checking daily with a circumnavigator on his Jeanneau SO 35/2005 with -very- minimal equipment. He spent years as a commercial diver, saved money and bought what he could afford. He started in Europe and is about to pass by Australia. Seems like he’s doing fine on a boat most charters wouldn’t even touch. He does encounter issues occasionally but nothing unsolvable. Knowing another circumnavigator who started with a brand new Amel 54, he didn’t do much better. He even had more issues with the electronics on the way. Certainly not worth the USD 1m price difference between those boats if your intention is to sail and be self-dependent.

My questions are mostly on the experiences rather than just the upgrades though. I’m sure things break down on the way and I have ‘usual suspects’, but would be good to hear from a first-hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Not related to cats at all but...
Most people spend an awful amount of time getting a boat ready, always improving it, and never accepting that it was plenty ready months or years ago. They then never leave.

Often considered unsuitable for an ocean crossing, you rarely see people working on upgrading Beneteaus and the like. But if you actually cross an ocean and get to the other side, you will see that most boats that make it across are all these boats that are supposedly not able, and the rate of problems is no higher on these unsuitable boats than on well prepared "blue water" boats.

Anyway, the point is, looking at what upgrades people make isn't necessarily an accurate reading of a boat's seaworthiness. People often buy a Leopard from the factory in Cape Town and sail it right away across the Atlantic to the Carribean.
Old 19-11-2022, 09:31   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selecra11 View Post
After watching a bunch of youtube videos of catamarans owners describing boat features, I also got the feeling some owners take boat prepping as a retirement hobby project rather than getting ready for serious sailing. I’ve been thinking to myself that every thing they add means more weight, slower cruise speeds and more technical failures on the way.

I guess it’s all quite common that people prep for years, then realize they just can’t do this years long trip anymore, cat or not. I know a few examples myself.

I very much agree with you on the bluewater topic. I’m checking daily with a circumnavigator on his Jeanneau SO 35/2005 with -very- minimal equipment. He spent years as a commercial diver, saved money and bought what he could afford. He started in Europe and is about to pass by Australia. Seems like he’s doing fine on a boat most charters wouldn’t even touch. He does encounter issues occasionally but nothing unsolvable. Knowing another circumnavigator who started with a brand new Amel 54, he didn’t do much better. He even had more issues with the electronics on the way. Certainly not worth the USD 1m price difference between those boats if your intention is to sail and be self-dependent.

My questions are mostly on the experiences rather than just the upgrades though. I’m sure things break down on the way and I have ‘usual suspects’, but would be good to hear from a first-hand experience.
Firsthand experience, I circumnavigated on a Morgan 382, minimal equipment, no watermaker, no windlass, no refrigeration. Boats were broken down and being fixed in every port. At one point (Richard's Bay SA I think) I got the best compliment. Someone was walking the docks looking for a boat to sail on. Another sailor said "Go ask Warren, his boat never breaks." Of course, it did, but much less often than much more expensive boats.

What you NEED. You need to keep the hull watertight. You need your rig to stay up. You need to keep your rudder, and you need enough fresh water. Everything else is gravy. So, focus on those things.

The really surprising observation is how many rig failures I saw. Very few were catastrophic, but lots of broken stays, or broken strands. It didn't matter the age of the rigging (one boat was re-rigged in New Zealand and suffered a broken stand in every stay on its first crossing) or the sea state, boats are dismasted in 10 kts. I suffered a broken strand crossing the Mozambique channel. It was new 2 years prior. It was no big deal to change, but I caught it only because I inspect my rig before and after every crossing. So do that and have a plan (dyneema) for a temporary emergency fix.

I also had my steering cables break during a passage late in my circumnavigation. Again, new when I left, and had been inspected just prior to my departure. I swapped them for dyneema 400 miles from shore. I also carry an emergency rudder. Carry an emergency rudder or some other emergency way to steer.

And know your boat and how to fix it. Many sailors just throw money at their boat. Something breaks, pay someone to take care of it. That someone is never going to see you again, and will rarely do a good job. Those were the boats, often expensive and well funded, that had the most issues, fixing the same things again and again, never getting them fixed correctly. The most reliable boats were completely maintained by their owners.
Old 16-02-2023, 07:28   #8

Hi.
Old mono sailor here (80+ yrs) Keep your OLD Usable as spares/emergency. shrouds when you change them. Plus a handfull of various lengths short pieces. with half a doz "bulldog" clips. Dia, to suit.Rolled up with tags, they'll fit along hullside and bulkheads.
For a spare steering.
Most of you will have P+Stbd Stern cleats.I have always carried a small Solid Drogue . run a line through each cleat to Drogue. and steer with them. It works quite well creating a slight drag either side of centreline.
In a constant wind. with a balanced vessel. You can trim the sails to steer a decent course on most wind directions. Sans rudder or control of. (not sure about multi's on that one).
Offshore I always carry a H/D small tarp. with 3 or 4 rope tails on each side and a coupla weights along the underneath centreline.could use smaller one for smaller multi hull sections. If you hit something (I hit a container once decades ago heading in shipping lanes for Tassie.(Just dented my 8mm steel plates on 42ft Boden).
That tarp. Slide it over the bow, ropes on both side. along to leak/hole. Water pressure DOES hold it in place. While you patch with glue/nails/screws. Weld. Whatever. Keeps you floating till a beach or marina.I use stainless steering cables (centre cockpits)
Always have a second new set laid out alongside current in case one breaks somewhere.
And check your sheaves. NOBODY ever does.
Have fun. It's a great life. Me. Loss of depth of field in eyes. Shorebound nowadays. But still read here and memories.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 04:41   #9

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Great advice Mr Carson. thanks
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 05:36   #10
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I want to revive the original question OP has asked since we are debating the same thing. We are at the Miami boat show this week to look at some catamarans. For us, contenders are the newer Leopard 45s or older Leopard 48s. I know people are divided on this but we like the foredeck lounge.

We have read enough of the discussions around them for people finding them risky or ok. But wondering if someone has really taken these boats to a circumnavigation. So going back to OP's original question:

Are there any sailors who circumnavigated with a Leopard?
Old 17-02-2023, 05:44   #11

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

I would reconsider your year range. I would go with an older leopard.
Here’s why:

-Hull design by Morelli and Melvin. Faster than newer cats.
-Shaft drive. Easier maintenance. No periodic haul out in foreign lands to replace a diaphragm seal.
-Hand laid fiberglass and thick. Sturdy.
-These boats sailed to their destinations. Not shipped.
-Back then leopard wanted to make a blue water name for themselves.
-The helms sit lower for less windage, more sail area and you don’t need a square top main for sail area putting unnecessary load up high on the mast.
-The helm is integrated with the living area. No sitting up top by yourself in inclement weather or having to yell to get help.
-skeg hung rudders. Again lower maintenance, lower torsional loads on the bearings. Also shed fishing lines and nets easily. Potential for less damage in an unwanted grounding.

Can’t say enough about my 2000 Leopard. Enjoy.

Don
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 05:54   #12
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlmedic View Post
I would reconsider your year range. I would go with an older leopard.
Here’s why:

-Hull design by Morelli and Melvin. Faster than newer cats.
-Shaft drive. Easier maintenance. No periodic haul out in foreign lands to replace a diaphragm seal.
-Hand laid fiberglass and thick. Sturdy.
-These boats sailed to their destinations. Not shipped.
-Back then leopard wanted to make a blue water name for themselves.
-The helms sit lower for less windage, more sail area and you don’t need a square top main for sail area putting unnecessary load up high on the mast.
-The helm is integrated with the living area. No sitting up top by yourself in inclement weather or having to yell to get help.
-skeg hung rudders. Again lower maintenance, lower torsional loads on the bearings. Also shed fishing lines and nets easily. Potential for less damage in an unwanted grounding.
Thank you Don, this is useful information. Do you know when (which models or years) they switched the hull design, fiberglass methods, etc?
Old 17-02-2023, 06:03   #13

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

This aspect I’m a little rusty on. To the best of my recollection, 2004 they kept the Morrelli and Melvin design below the waterline for speed but Simonis designed the interior. A little wider hulls above the waterline. Added wood to the interior for aesthetic purposes , a negative for me. I also think that is when the changed how they laid the fiberglass.
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:21   #14
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looks like Morelli and Melvin designed models 38, 40, 44 and 46. We were looking at 46s but there are not that many out there.

Morrelli & Melvin - Leopard Catamarans
Old 19-02-2023, 23:45   #15

Longjonsilver.
My name in M.R.Carson Hence the mrcarson. NOT Mr,
That'd be a little up yourself I reckon.
You lot want info on seamanship and things going wrong.
Talk to the "old sailors. We started with Sextants/Chronograph/(me) Aviators charts for nav, Then Calculators (Magic little things they were) etc. Hatch board on Kite pole for steering.
Spare hull patches drilled ready for screws and coupla tubes of sika. I used a frypan, hand brace and screws. with putty once on an old timber yacht. Caulking was pounded out in a seaway on North sea in 'late '50's. Off N.E coast of England.
Found harbour with wall,. Recaulked, went home.
They have lotsa stories.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, leopard, navigation