Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 07:22   #1

Boat: Robertson& Caine, 2011 Leopard 46
Leopard Genset Boost Pump

Does anyone have specs on the generator boost pump...Has anyone had problems with theirs and what did you use for a replacement?
rndsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I moved this from forum Support to Multihull Sailboats, I assume that location is OK with you?

I don’t have a Leopard nor a Multihull. But I use a March airconditioner pump for my generator, however I removed the impeller pump as I don’t see the need in two pumps and the impeller pump is a maintenance headache.
If you chose to remove the impeller pump only issue I can see is be sure the pump will pump enough water up to the height required
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Leopard Genset Boost Pump

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rnd'.

What brand & size generator does Leopard use?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gord, I believe Leopard installs a boost pump that has nothing to do with the generator, they did this I believe due to the vertical distance of the generator from the water was causing the impeller to fail very prematurely as it had to run dry and prime at each use.
I also assume they didn’t remove the generator impeller pump as if they did it would likely void the generator warranty.
Cause two pumps is in my opinion, unnecessary.

If I’m right you won’t find any mention of this pump in the generators manual, but hopefully would the boats manual.

This old thread may help
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-198600.html
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

On my 2017 Leopard 40 there are two (2) fuel pumps for the Northern Lights genset. There is the fuel pump on the unit itself, which is installed forward of the salon, and a booster pump which is installed in the starboard engine space. As far as I can tell, the booster pump is necessary because the genset does not have its own fuel tank. Instead, it shares the starboard fuel tank with the starboard engine. Given the distance from the starboard fuel tank, which is underneath the starboard after cabin, the distance is probably too far for the engine fuel pump to function properly. The photo is of the replacement for the original unit (the ugly wiring has been fixed). I don't have the specs, but can get them when I am next on the boat over the weekend.

In addition to the generator booster pump there is also a Jabsco fuel transfer pump installed in the Port engine space so that the fuel load can be balanced between the two tanks when/where necessary. When installed, this pump is controlled from the helm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	195386  
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting here I was assuming water, but it certainly could be fuel. Wonder if it is?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

In all the Leopards (Moorings) I've seen the port main fuel tank supplies the genset and the genset return line runs to the starboard main fuel tank. The older models did not have a transfer switch to transfer fuel from starboard tank back to the port tank. Supposedly there was a way to transfer on the older models by throwing a series of valves but every time I tried to do it I screwed it up. The transfer switch is nice but it is so slow that you have to push the button for a long time to see any result because it is spring-loaded to the OFF position.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 14:02   #8

Are you asking about the raw water boost pump or the diesel fuel pump? Im confused
Wmkenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:37   #9

Boat: Aloha 34

This is the best solution I have seen to replace the ever troublesome rubber impeller. Brent from Cat Impi does a video on his solution deleting the pump altogether in favour of a magnetically driven remote pump. Great video.

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:20   #10

Boat: Leopard 38

On my Leopard 38, 2011 original pump attached. Boght original repacement for 65$ on ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69E49901-5A59-4EE0-B0C4-C0D3CD7832ED.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	195443  
Deivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:05   #11

Sorry guys for taking so long to respond and thanks for all the info. Back on the boat now...I did find the Bosch auxiliary (boost) pump replacement locally at Napa (Dorman Brand) that has re-establish water flow to gen. Amazon also had a replacement, not sure who makes that one but at a 5th of the cost of the Dorman pump. It's arriving today so I'll compare and might keep it as a spare.
I didn't mention, but this is my first week owning this boat and up to my eyelids on things to do! Inexperienced question now resolved , right?
With water flow working and Impeller changed and a dozen bits pulled from the heat exchanger boot, the gen will run all day without a load, but shuts down after a 4-5 minutes once there is a load.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06   #12

Water temp is a stable 179 degrees.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Usually two things will cause auto shutdown, overheat of course and low oil pressure.
I’m sure you already have but check oil level.
Sometimes the “Murphy” switches can go bad too.