Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2022, 19:41   #1

Post Leopard/Lagoon/FP/other -

Looking to liveaboard in the next several years, but need input on comparing cats.

1. Looking for an Owners version 40+ ft
2. My husband is 6'5" - anyone have a good comparison or feeling for the headroom in these boats?
3. What is your opinion on the good/bad for each of these?
4. Do you find new boats better than 3-5 years used? Or are there issues worked out that's best with used?

Where do we start? I can only watch so many tours, without my head spinning.
jfrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 20:17   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Leopard/Lagoon/FP/other -

This question in regard to what to look for in a multi is always hard to answer. Best advise I give anyone is to sit down and work out what they want in a boat to suite their individual requirements. Dont get caught up on owners versions. My wife and I have owned both and in reality we would be happy with a 4 cabin version with a head and shower on either side. In fact it would be preferable for our needs.

We love galley up, and personally would not go galley in a hull but that is just us. Height wise, well I a short arse so height is not an issue for me. All the big name boats should have ample room for headroom. We are currently boatless and starting to dip our toe to see what catamaran we will be next, we are looking at new and second hand. Price of new has really surprised me on how expensive they are becoming as well as long wait times.

Go to boat shows and view different models, compare apples with apples. If you get an opportunity go sailing on as many as you can. I have no doubt many more will jump in here, but remember it is going to be your boat so work out what you guys want and go from there.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 07:51   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Charter all the boats you are interested in. Build your own oppinion! Take each vessel out for at least a week or two...

This is how we did it and i think that was not a bad approach... Takes some time, but you mentioned "in the next several years"...

John
Old 30-04-2022, 12:41   #4

Can anyone speak to headroom on these boats or other Cats? With my husband being 6'5, that's important.
jfrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 14:00   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrits View Post
Can anyone speak to headroom on these boats or other Cats? With my husband being 6'5, that's important.

I have a FP Helia. I’m 6’5 and headroom is fine. I have to tilt my head at the bulkhead but doesn’t bother me. Headroom in the rest of boat is fine. I do find it tricky to get into the engine compartment.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 14:33   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Its under your size requirements, But I have a Gemini 105MC Cat,

Its for sale, Previous owner was 6-4 and lived on it for 8 years, he had no problems with the headroom,

People inspecting my Boat have all remarked on the good headroom thru out the boat,

Some of them have been pretty tall as well,

Im 5-9 And I never bang my head,
Its just Info, You did ask,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:26   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Catamarans are closely resemble sheds when trying to sail to windward the projected area is a defining factor in how well they will perform. Keeping the bridgedeck profile low will enhance windward performance. Having full standing headroom on the bridgedeck will therefore adversely affect this.

Having a galley up usually requires full standing headroom throughout and in the case of production boats that normally means around 2m (6'7"). However, maintaining headroom in the galley on a galley down boat does not affect the performance and frees up the bridgedeck for lounging or dining where headroom is not as important as it is purely a transit zone between hulls and seating.

There are a few areas that do need full standing headroom, the galley, the heads, and cabins for dressing and IMO these should be confined to the hulls.

People tend to stand up a lot when viewing boats at boat shows but in reality this is rarely the case when using a boat.

Here is an example of a relatively small cat with standing headroom between the hulls but maintains a sleek low profile.

https://www.multihullcentre.com/wp-c...nwinkle-15.jpg
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 23:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I have sailed (some less some more..) , serviced all of the brands you mentioned.

FP: old models like Bahia, Belize sail better than the recent models for sure. The new models though are better built and the finish is much better. Head space on new models are also slightly better.

Lagoon:if the space vs. the sail performance is the way you want to go, Lagoons generally offers better space for the given size of boat. You will slam more, upwind sailing will be a real challenge but you will sleep in larger beds. Finish and built quality is mediocre and some of them have had bulkhead problems.

Leopard: they sail much better than I had expected, reasonably well made boats. If you can afford new 45 go for it, otherwise old 44 footers will also do the job.

There are also good Aussy brands , mostly galley down but I have no experience with them. Bali's have many quality issues .Finally you may also have a look at Nauthitec's.

Good luck..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 19:30   #9

Boat: FP Orana 44

I'm 6'7 and been on my FP Orana for most of the last 8 years. It's been working very well and have full headroom where it's important.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, leopard