Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 13:31   #46

Re: Leopard VS Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
You just need to do a bit of lateral thinking to deal with that problem.

I wanted to set my boat up so that the main could be brought down completely without leaving the cockpit. Simple solution was to attach a line to the same shackle as the main halyard, attach a block at the base of the mast and run the line back to a clutch near the sheet winch beside the helm. I called this line a downhaul but I know it is not what a downhaul is normally used for. Then when I need to drop the main, let go the halyard and then if it doesn't come all the way down haul on the 'downhaul' to bring it the rest of the way. Worked every time even downwind with 40+ knots of wind in the sail.
I'm surprised none of the Lagoon owners haven't already chimed in. I still don't like the idea of not being able to lay my hands on the sail.

I do like your clever "downhaul" solution. Any downside to your "downhaul"?.... like slap or chaffing while the sail is raised?
Old 05-08-2018, 15:49   #47

We have the down haul fittings installed - never needed to use it. I just use a long extended boat hook to pull down on a batten car, very fast and very easy, never been a problem in 4 years full time cruising. Have even done it down wind. I feel no need to visit the boom at sea, (except for 3rd reef at gooseneck which I can reach (180cm) and I don't have to worry too much about getting belted by the boom or the mainsheet system when gybing or swinging in sloppy seas, one of the main causes of injuries and fatalities on a sail boat. The only PITA is putting the top sun cover over the sail bag - it takes 5 minutes when a zip would take 1. I have seen a remote zipper system - will get one - one day.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 23:48   #48

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I'm surprised none of the Lagoon owners haven't already chimed in. I still don't like the idea of not being able to lay my hands on the sail.

I do like your clever "downhaul" solution. Any downside to your "downhaul"?.... like slap or chaffing while the sail is raised?
At first I did worry that if the main came a long way down on its own then I'd end up with a large amount of line flapping around that could get caught on something. This never happened in the nearly 30,000 nm we did with the setup so, no, no downside at all.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:23   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
forward cockpit .
They dont have a forward cockpit, they have a forward lounge. No sail handling or other significant boat operation can be done from that lounge area
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34   #50

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
They dont have a forward cockpit, they have a forward lounge. No sail handling or other significant boat operation can be done from that lounge area
the cockpit is the lounge area of a cat, operated it is from the helm (sport bridge, fly bridge or whatever holds the rudder, instruments and the winches) and some have remote controls on the chart table inside.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:40   #51

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

on the L400 the boom is easyly accessible on the roof of the salon, no problem ar all.
I use a short rope to secure the sail / main halyard to the mast when the sail is down.

Easy to pack the lazyback off the starboard salon roof.
Old 06-08-2018, 13:49   #52
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
the cockpit is the lounge area of a cat, operated it is from the helm (sport bridge, fly bridge or whatever holds the rudder, instruments and the winches) and some have remote controls on the chart table inside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_(sailing)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:01   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
48-50 ft cat for a newbie? Good luck! I started off with 41ft and that was plenty

Btw: if buying new maybe check the lead times for new boats. For some models it may be way longer that you would expect
I'm currently considering a Leopard 45, 48, or 50. I'd prefer a 1-3 year old Cat as I know there's along waiting period for a new build. At the moment, the 45 seems to be at the top of the list.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
The new Leopard 40 is a lot of boat in my view as well, the Lagoon 42 is also worth considering, my final thoughts for a newbie is 45 is about as big as you should go unless you can afford a crew then that 50 footer looks real cool.
Good feedback, thanks.

As of now, I have been learning more towards a Leopard 45.
Old 07-08-2018, 15:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Good feedback, thanks.

As of now, I have been learning more towards a Leopard 45.

Looks like an ok boat. What aspects of it make it more appealing than the competition? Might we a while before a second hand one shows up.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:40   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_(sailing)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Oh goodie, duelling definitions

Who ya gonna believe, Wikipedia or a Dictionary?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cockpit
"a sunken, open area, generally in the after part of a small vessel, as a yacht, providing space for the pilot, part or all of the crew, or guest"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 17:09   #57

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I'm currently considering a Leopard 45, 48, or 50. I'd prefer a 1-3 year old Cat as I know there's along waiting period for a new build. At the moment, the 45 seems to be at the top of the list.
Hi there. We came to the same conclusion but a used Leopard 45 will be a couple of years off given they are a 2018 boat. We have decided to go new in a syndicate here in Australia. I love the 45nfeatures.
Mick
Old 07-08-2018, 17:40   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Looks like an ok boat. What aspects of it make it more appealing than the competition? Might we a while before a second hand one shows up.
I really like Leopard's forward cockpit area (or whatever you want to call it). I also like some of the other things that Leopard does that some of the others don't (like flush hatches on the deck, etc.), I also like their more recent interiors. Leopard also does some nice things where the boat is set-up for single-handed. So many different things that appeal to me more than the others are this point -- I'm still in the research phase.
Old 07-08-2018, 17:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C View Post
Hi there. We came to the same conclusion but a used Leopard 45 will be a couple of years off given they are a 2018 boat. We have decided to go new in a syndicate here in Australia. I love the 45nfeatures.
Mick
It's my understanding that the New Leopard 45 was actually introduced in mid 2016. So we might be seeing some used ones hit the market over the next year or so.

Leopard released this video walk-through of it in August 2016:
Old 07-08-2018, 22:37   #60

Boat: LAGOON 400

my wife had a look at leopard and it was all over in less than 5 min.
Forgot the reasons. So it was for most of other brands. Felt truly sorry for salesman's egos.

Easy for me, could concentrate to only few (1) brand.

And as old people used to say, it is the driver, not the boat that makes boat perform
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, leopard